Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I hot wax my board and let it cool, I begin to scrape it with a plastic scraper and the wax sometimes doesn't peel off, it would start to crack off.

Could it be the kind of wax I use(Toko workshop wax)?

I was wondering what is the reason why this is happening, is it bad for the board or am I defeating the purpose of waxing because it is cracking?

thanks guys!

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
After I hot wax my board and let it cool, I begin to scrape it with a plastic scraper and the wax sometimes doesn't peel off, it would start to crack off.

Could it be the kind of wax I use(Toko workshop wax)?

I was wondering what is the reason why this is happening, is it bad for the board or am I defeating the purpose of waxing because it is cracking?

thanks guys!
Usually a combination of i) the type of wax, and ii) (much) too much wax. Ambient temperature/cooling speed can also be a factor.

Depending on how well you ironed the wax onto the base, it might defeat the purpose of waxing (if there is a purpose to waxing).
But it is not bad for your board (assuming that this is not happening because you are scraping off part of the base LOL).

·
Registered
951 Posts
When you let wax cool down over long periods of time, it has a greater tendency to "crack off", versus, say if you did a hot wax scrape, in this case, you will get ribbons of wax that you scrape off.

from what I can find, the workshop wax is Low Fluoro wax (in shop size bulk quantities vs the usual retail size).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Most likely you have put on a heavy layer. Don't worry about it cracking as you scrape. Take your time, you will have to scrape a fair bit to get it all off, but you will do your deck no harm.

Next time, try to put a little less on. Remember you only need a layer of wax the thickness of a piece of paper. Any more than that and you are just wasting wax = money.

With practise you will learn exactly how much wax to drip on to do your board.

Get it. Wax it. Ride it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts