Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a cheaper snowboard iron a wsd. I set it for the right temp on the dial and let it preheat for 5 to 15 minutes while setting up.

Problem is it seems like the edges of the iron are "freezing" when waxing unless I crank the heat.

I try to stay in small areas and the underside of the board is getting warm/hot.

Does this sound like an iron problem or user error?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
....... Huh?

I don't even really get what you're saying but I can for sure say you're overthinking it. Waxing is easy and simple. Is your iron melting wax? Does it spread it? If it's heating up your board it's heating up the wax. It's fine. Waxing is about as exact of a process as measuring detergent in your laundry.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Hell, if you're really in a pinch you can use a pot filled with boiling water.
I can't believe people can't afford a dedicated wax Iron. It's snowboarding (not a cheap sport $$$$$$$), a brand name Iron only costs less than a half a days lift ticket. It's $Au80 for a ToKo T8 delivered and a lift ticket is close to $Au200 a day.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
So I bought a cheaper snowboard iron a wsd. I set it for the right temp on the dial and let it preheat for 5 to 15 minutes while setting up.

Problem is it seems like the edges of the iron are "freezing" when waxing unless I crank the heat.

I try to stay in small areas and the underside of the board is getting warm/hot.

Does this sound like an iron problem or user error?
It's probably the cheap iron.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I can't believe people can't afford a dedicated wax Iron. It's snowboarding (not a cheap sport $$$$$$$), a brand name Iron only costs less than a half a days lift ticket. It's $Au80 for a ToKo T8 delivered and a lift ticket is close to $Au200 a day.
It’s not that i can’t afford it, i just don’t see the point? Why make a expensive lifestyle even more expensive? I stole my dads old iron and went through HELL when he used it on his shirt after i waxed my first board so I’m sticking to it forever. And i refuse to belive that a brand name wax specific iron would make a difference for a guy like me.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
It’s not that i can’t afford it, i just don’t see the point? Why make a expensive lifestyle even more expensive? I stole my dads old iron and went through HELL when he used it on his shirt after i waxed my first board so I’m sticking to it forever. And i refuse to belive that a brand name wax specific iron would make a difference for a guy like me.
Did you buy $$$$ your father a replacement Iron after you "Stole" his???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts