Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellow snowboarders!

I've made a website to compare resorts by lodging cost, flight & lift ticket prices, difficulty of runs, how good for freeriding. Since this is my 2nd post on this forum I didn't want to be spammy, so I didn't post link to website right away.

Do you want to compare resorts in US & Canada to spend more time riding and less time researching resorts?

Not sure I'm breaking forum rules, since site is a snowboarding related product. If I'm wrong let me know if I should post a video about myself, describing why I built the site (as per rules).

Backstory
I've been spending about 1 week each year, searching for perfect next ski resort to go snowboarding. Most time was spent on getting general price level for accommodation, ski passes and transport to resort.

This season I automated resort comparisons by pulling all the pricing info from Airbnb, Booking, Skyscanner + generic resort info.

Thanks! Pavel Tisunov

Update
Posting a link SnowTrips.io

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Typically we would shit on this and initially that was my first thought, i do read stuff first though. I was thinking thatyou were goung to try to reinvent a hotels/bookings type website....

I think this is a good and fairly new take on it though. If you provide a "book it" function and in one swoop it books everything on your list, thats even more special. Iys fresh and snowboard related. Your also not asking us for a solution to your school paper.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,229 Posts
Looks interesting; lets see the link.
Do ticket prices consider days of stay, like cheaper 3d passes or alike?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do ticket prices consider days of stay, like cheaper 3d passes or alike?
Ticket prices are average per day if you buy 6 day pass. Say 1 day costs $110, 6 days cost $547, so avg. per day price is $91, and that is what site is showing. Because savings are usually small after 6 days, that's enough to estimate what you'll pay for tickets

Eventually I'll live lift ticket pricing to the site, so you can enter your dates and get final ticket price for all resorts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you provide a "book it" function and in one swoop it books everything on your list, thats even more special. Iys fresh and snowboard related. Your also not asking us for a solution to your school paper.
Haven't thought about booking functionality before, initially I just wanted to have all the info about prices and resort data in one place. It would be a holy grail of trip planning, purchasing flights, lodging, transfer, and lift tickets in one go!

I think it's doable if limit the scope and implement resort by resort if there is really a demand

About school papers, I thought it was a joke in the rules, until I read actual posts from students :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
The interface is pretty easy to use, so props on that. It looks like everything is preset to a week length stay, would you be able to add a feature to adjust the length of the trip?

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
One thing that perplexes me about the site, is the comparative ratings....don't make sense. It would also be nice to be able to select 2 or 3 hills and compare them side-to-side. I presume they are ranked on factors of the respondents self-report....it would be nice to see it broken down in a factors list...like

over-all cost

terrain

lift tickets

travel accessibility

nightlife

family

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The interface is pretty easy to use, so props on that. It looks like everything is preset to a week length stay, would you be able to add a feature to adjust the length of the trip?
I try to keep site as simple as possible without overloading with features.Do you think it's better to let people enter arbitrary trip length or some presets, like 7-10-14 days?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing that perplexes me about the site, is the comparative ratings....don't make sense.
That was main idea behind site, to compare resorts with each other by all the ratings to ease mental load, I compare them anyways in my mind. What do you think will make more sense to you?

It would also be nice to be able to select 2 or 3 hills and compare them side-to-side. I presume they are ranked on factors of the respondents self-report....it would be nice to see it broken down in a factors list...like
You are right, hills are ranked by crowdsourced self-reported factors. Do you mean you want to see absolute ratings like 1-5 stars for family, nightlife, etc? Without seeing how resorts compare with each other along those axes?

·
Registered
748 Posts
hills are ranked by crowdsourced self-reported factors.
I'm curious about how many data sources you are using to compile the resort rankings after you select various preferences. And how the sources are converted into a % number?

For example Expert, Expert + Low crowds, Expert + Low crowds + Tree riding, etc.

If i use Expert + Low crowds + Tree riding, Silverton is given a 100% ranking. I've never been to Silverton, but when I compare it to some resorts I have been to, Revy 83%, Kicking Horse 76% and Whistler 20%, I'm interpreting that Silverton would be far superior choice than any of the other resorts I've been to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm curious about how many data sources you are using to compile the resort rankings after you select various preferences. And how the sources are converted into a % number?
Each preference is linked to single crowdsourced attribute, basically people reporting how they feel resort ranks from 0 to 5 for that attribute. So each resort is ranked for Low Crowds from 0 to 5, How good for Experts is ranked 0 to 5 + app takes into account length of expert runs (at least 30% of total runs)

I've never been to Silverton, but when I compare it to some resorts I have been to, Revy 83%, Kicking Horse 76% and Whistler 20%, I'm interpreting that Silverton would be far superior choice than any of the other resorts I've been to.
Silverton is basically one mountain with expert only slopes, and there is 1 lift only, so it definitely should rate high on Expert + Low crowds. Any ranking depends heavily on subjective opinion of those who've been there before.

That's why I want to promote the site, to gather as many ratings as possible, so average value will be closer to truth.

There is en Edit button for each resort, to update ratings for each attribute.

Do you agree/disagree with how I calculate ranking? What would you change/improve?

·
Registered
748 Posts
That's why I want to promote the site, to gather as many ratings as possible, so average value will be closer to truth.

Do you agree/disagree with how I calculate ranking? What would you change/improve?
I don't really have useful feedback other than what you already said about gathering as many rankings as possible.

I personally don't rely on user rankings as it's too subjective but at times I may consider a persons written or verbal feedback as you can better interpret what type of rider they are and what the terrain is like. However I have no idea, how you'd quantify verbal feedback into a number.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts