Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i weigh 300 pounds is it okay to ride a board that is 160 cm. i dont understand what the weight limit is for unless im doing a board slide. but i could do 50/50's instead. will the board break if i go off of a jump or something?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I have only broken one board. I'll start the season at 300 and finish at 270ish. I ride 160w-164w. You will want to buy a board from a good manufacturer/builder and get one of their stiffer boards even if park riding. Expect To go through equipment twice as fast as someone under 200. Especially boots.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Weight range is for de-cambering the board...so as to use the side-cut radius for turning/carving. As for breaking a board...there is all manner of snapping a board from hitting/landing jumps/natural terrain hits...just is with your 300# mass it might be easier to do...I'd only imagine that most boards are not designed for 300#...now if ur a beginner on a bunny hill...probably not an issue. But if you are charging it...you are going to want a burley/beefy ass board....and at 300# a 160 is only good on packed/firmed groomed and will not work in any significant amount of pow/poo...for that I can only imagine you want a 200cm rad air tanker, litigator or the like.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
so you're saying that i wouldnt be able to ride the hills around me? i would have to go to a resort?
considering the wealth of information you have provided, I somehow doubt that is what anyone is trying to say.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
KT22

I have been riding this board style for 5 years. No problem. Mines 162w. I'll be riding this, their awesymetrical and pinner this year. The owner of this company isn't a small man either, probably 250-260.... I don't ride slow and have zero problems in deep light powder. Unlike some/most of the posters and forum members, I live what your asking about,big weight, and will ride over 150 days this year again....

A lot will be with riding technique, I make up for float by hauling ass in deep pow and not stopping. When you want to hold an edge on groom or hard pack you have to really dig in and let your knees, ankles and other joints absorb the imperfections of the mtn. You have to be really strong in your legs to compensate for your mass. Do not let yourself get out of control, wipeouts are a show and you can seriously hurt someone even in a low speed impact. Your inertia is going to be way more than the average joe..... I tone it down a lot on crowded days and on Icey slopes. Stopping all of this is way harder than a 150 lb little dude.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts