Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've probably made 5 posts or so about being new, well for the sixth time it's official.. here's the deal and I'm sure it's just apart of it.

I can go down the slope and link turns.. mostly skidded haven't quite figured out how far I can lean to carve.. but after like 3 or 4 runs (usually do like 20 lol it's a small blue) I'll be going and know I need to slow down but my body quite literally 'locks' up and my mind like stops working - I go blank headed for just long enough to end up staging horrific crashes..

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the whole mind blank ordeal... if not it's hard to explain but I literally can't do anything because it doesn't make sense to do it, which results in a wtfhelicoptersnowboardintheair style crash. Thinking of making a montage of me spilling because I've heard it's pretty comical to see..

and also I'm wondering about pre-winding... I'm confident in turning in the air I'm just wondering how much pre-wind is too much? you tube videos would be nifty I haven't seen any good ones on it..

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've probably made 5 posts or so about being new, well for the sixth time it's official.. here's the deal and I'm sure it's just apart of it.

I can go down the slope and link turns.. mostly skidded haven't quite figured out how far I can lean to carve.. but after like 3 or 4 runs (usually do like 20 lol it's a small blue) I'll be going and know I need to slow down but my body quite literally 'locks' up and my mind like stops working - I go blank headed for just long enough to end up staging horrific crashes..

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the whole mind blank ordeal... if not it's hard to explain but I literally can't do anything because it doesn't make sense to do it, which results in a wtfhelicoptersnowboardintheair style crash. Thinking of making a montage of me spilling because I've heard it's pretty comical to see..

and also I'm wondering about pre-winding... I'm confident in turning in the air I'm just wondering how much pre-wind is too much? you tube videos would be nifty I haven't seen any good ones on it..
Take a lesson. You're freezing because you lack confidence and have fear. You're locking up because your mind doesn't have a clear picture of what exactly you should be doing. Also, it might be that you've convinced yourself doing nothing is safer than doing something, and you need to realize this is completely irrational. Trust me, it's all fear. If you get a good instructor, they'll teach you baby steps so you're much less likely to have a break in your confidence, as well as much less likely to really hurt yourself.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got one instruction.. the guys at the slope near me are like.. yeah.. I dunno they were chill but he was planning on teaching me stop and then bouncing.. so halfway through it I was just like.. uh huh.. ok thanks bro going to go do my own thing..

and proceeded with teaching myself.. I think I'm doing well, I'm a perfectionist with everything so I'm like a scientist watching other people and listening to tips on form and technique.

so far:

J turns
skidded turns
traversing (falling leaf)
plowing
linking turns
and skating
180s (dunno what that's even called in snowboarding I can do it flat and in the air)
(all both toe/heel and switch)

but sometimes I just mind blank it's effing weird... but I'm sure part of it is from catching edges when I start learning something new, I think you are onto something dude.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Almost sounds like you're being to monotonous in your riding. Like when you say a word over and over and it loses meaning and you can't say it right anymore. Over time your mental endurance will increase but try other things when you do get a little locked up. There is also a point where you won't need to to concetrate on riding as much and it will be more instict.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I got one instruction.. the guys at the slope near me are like.. yeah.. I dunno they were chill but he was planning on teaching me stop and then bouncing.. so halfway through it I was just like.. uh huh.. ok thanks bro going to go do my own thing..

and proceeded with teaching myself.. I think I'm doing well, I'm a perfectionist with everything so I'm like a scientist watching other people and listening to tips on form and technique.

so far:

J turns
skidded turns
traversing (falling leaf)
plowing
linking turns
and skating
180s (dunno what that's even called in snowboarding I can do it flat and in the air)
(all both toe/heel and switch)

but sometimes I just mind blank it's effing weird... but I'm sure part of it is from catching edges when I start learning something new, I think you are onto something dude.
Knowing what to do and doing it are almost mutually exclusive. If you find a GOOD instructor, they'll really help you overcome your fear. If I were you, I would use your scientific enthusiasm to find and evaluate an instructor that you think can teach you properly. Then take a few lessons and reap the benefits. Often, it takes an outside influence to quell your fear. Also, another person might be able to identify things that you're doing that you don't realize you're doing yourself.

TLDR; Ask around, call around, search around for a qualified snowboard instructor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
try and get to the slope early ..not so many people around..sounds like you might be self conscious /lack confidence in your ability.I found it easier to concentrate and find my style when i was on my own and not much traffic to think about .

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
which results in a wtfhelicoptersnowboardintheair style crash. Thinking of making a montage of me spilling because I've heard it's pretty comical to see..
after this description, I GOT TO SEE A VIDEO

I am always thinking ahead, what I need to be doing so I am ahead of my current action thinking about the next movement. Maybe try this approach.

Still need to see this "crash"
-Slyder

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... lmfao.

I'll get it to you after my april trip... will be my first trip to a legit mountain so.. it's guaranteed to happen, I'm pretty sure I literally cause these somehow...
but I'll get my girl to watch me with her flip thing when I try to carve... I'm positive I'll catch an edge learning that.

Honestly I hope it doesn't happen lol.. i'm sure everyone has done it.. where you fall horizontally.. your board edge catches the ground and sends you spinning like a helicopter in the air.. that landing totally blows lol

A

·
0 Posts
get some focus and rhythm by counting (out loud if necessary) through your turns - start when you change edges and try a 3 or 4 count as you control and complete your turn until the next edge change when you start at 1 again.

see if it helps.

alasdair

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I was trying to figure this out, I started listening to a lot of drum & bass on the hill. I'd move in rhythm with the music. It's easy to keep count with D&B. Now it's all second nature and I hate riding without tunes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts