Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since nobody wants to start it.

Countdown is on. T-6 days.
Surprisingly no snow on the Vancouver locals. Some snow at Whistler. Lots of snow in the interior.

I'm thinking I should try skiing...

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Since nobody wants to start it.

Countdown is on. T-6 days.
Surprisingly no snow on the Vancouver locals. Some snow at Whistler. Lots of snow in the interior.

I'm thinking I should try skiing...

T-6 is when whistler opens?

I think I might sleep in the lift line?
Opening day is pretty sweet when you are super early>:)

TT

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T-6 is when whistler opens?

I think I might sleep in the lift line?
Opening day is pretty sweet when you are super early>:)

TT
Yeah 6days to Whistler opening day.

This season opening day is not looking too exciting as it hasn't been snowing that much. Last season and the seas before were nuts, so opening day were pretty epic.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,443 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts

This season opening day is not looking too exciting as it hasn't been snowing that much. Last season and the seas before were nuts, so opening day were pretty epic.
It is weird how last year the whole west coast got blasted from OCT to opening day. Now it seems as though the midwest took the snow from OCT on......I usually go to Winter Park in mid-Dec, but because of the last few years I booked Banff and Revy this year in mid-Dec, but WP got some early snow this year so it may be good by then too. Can't wait for Revy and Banff tho.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:blink: You're kidding, right? :blink:

>:)
You haven't heard??

Skiing is IN baby :skibanana:

It is weird how last year the whole west coast got blasted from OCT to opening day. Now it seems as though the midwest took the snow from OCT on......I usually go to Winter Park in mid-Dec, but because of the last few years I booked Banff and Revy this year in mid-Dec, but WP got some early snow this year so it may be good by then too. Can't wait for Revy and Banff tho.
Yup. USA and the BC/AB border have been getting lots of snow. My wife was in Revelstoke and Banff a couple weeks ago and it was full on winter there.

This time last year and the yr before we were all bombing Whistler's Facebook to open early :D this yr it's more like: geez think you can make it for nov 22......

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Yup. USA and the BC/AB border have been getting lots of snow. My wife was in Revelstoke and Banff a couple weeks ago and it was full on winter there.

This time last year and the yr before we were all bombing Whistler's Facebook to open early :D this yr it's more like: geez think you can make it for nov 22......
What is interesting to see is the difference between Canada and US resorts. Down here they all pump out fake snow and open early. And then in Canada they get dumped on and like Revy, they still won't open until December.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is interesting to see is the difference between Canada and US resorts. Down here they all pump out fake snow and open early. And then in Canada they get dumped on and like Revy, they still won't open until December.
Well there's a couple of reasons for that:

1. BC people are pow snobs :D
2. Whistler and Cypress have snow making; but typically, the issue is temperature (not precipitation), so they dont always have a window to blow snow because it's just too warm.
3. Many resorts here are in 'public' land so they have a lease agreement which only lets them operate (open and close) between certain dates. That's why Cypress sometimes closes with a ton of snow left.

There's probably a few more reasons... but it's somewhere along those lines.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Well there's a couple of reasons for that:

1. BC people are pow snobs :D
2. Whistler and Cypress have snow making; but typically, the issue is temperature (not precipitation), so they dont always have a window to blow snow because it's just too warm.
3. Many resorts here are in 'public' land so they have a lease agreement which only lets them operate (open and close) between certain dates. That's why Cypress sometimes closes with a ton of snow left.

There's probably a few more reasons... but it's somewhere along those lines.
That makes sense. Revy is public too I think. How far is Revy from Baldface Lodge? I tried looking for the actual spot of Baldface Lodge and couldn't find it on Google. It directs you to the airport.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes sense. Revy is public too I think. How far is Revy from Baldface Lodge? I tried looking for the actual spot of Baldface Lodge and couldn't find it on Google. It directs you to the airport.
Baldface is in Nelson, so like 3hrs from Revelstoke. It's not a resort per se, so you won't find a specific location/directions for it; but the Baldface website has all the information to get there, how to make your reservations, etc.

Another resort right in Nelson is Whitewater. That's a proper resort you can go anytime and ride. My wife rode there last season and loved it. She was in Nelson for work and brought her gear, so was able to ride a couple of days with really good snow.

Nelson is maybe like 8hrs from Vancouver, but if you plan a trip you can stage it, split the trip and ride a few of the places inbetween... Big White, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Panorama, etc. There's also Red Mtn, Sun Peaks, Silverstar, Fernie, Whitewater around the same region, and once you're in the area, Banff is not too far. So I'm hoping to score a sabbatical and hit all of those in one season hahah

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Sunshine opened Nov 9th, already has a 95cm base!! Time to move??
Worst opening in the 3 seasons I've been here for it, but the snow the past 2 days has made up for that! Standish opened today with 30+cm of fresh over the 2 days, 17cm overnight made Bye Bye Bowl off Divide heavenly! Haven't had such good early season turns yet. Only my 2nd day on the hill so far, but it more than made up for the very thin 1st day up.

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts

Sorry, that's my fault. Got a place in Whistler this year, so it's basically over.

BTW, if anyone wants to pay me not to move to Banff, I'm open to bids. :grin:

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Worst opening in the 3 seasons I've been here for it, but the snow the past 2 days has made up for that! Standish opened today with 30+cm of fresh over the 2 days, 17cm overnight made Bye Bye Bowl off Divide heavenly! Haven't had such good early season turns yet. Only my 2nd day on the hill so far, but it more than made up for the very thin 1st day up.
Yeah, thats how it's been the last 2 seasons. Only problem was day1 legs in deep pow. Jelly legs.

Sorry, that's my fault. Got a place in Whistler this year, so it's basically over.

BTW, if anyone wants to pay me not to move to Banff, I'm open to bids. :grin:
I knew it!! This is definitely the works of higher powers.........

I'm staying in Whistler Jan 4-10 at my buddies apt in Creekside. Then going back to the Fairmont for 4 days in Feb (but forgot the days - made that res a long time ago).

Did you move there yet? Or is that a plan for later?

·
Registered
546 Posts
https://goo.gl/maps/dtBmRMm2S3q

But you can only get up there in the winter by heli or by sled / cat (FSR in the summer)

The drive from Revy to Nelson is pretty epic - probably my favorite area in all of BC

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
https://goo.gl/maps/dtBmRMm2S3q

But you can only get up there in the winter by heli or by sled / cat (FSR in the summer)

The drive from Revy to Nelson is pretty epic - probably my favorite area in all of BC
Yes, that ^

Baldface is not a "resort" you simply drive to. You'll find all the directions on how they get you up there on the Balface website, but yeah you can't just drive there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"With minimal snowfall—lower than the resort has seen in over 15 years—runs will be open on both Blackcomb and Whistler, though conditions will be marginal." - The Pique

Figures this is the first year I commit to a Whistler season pass haha. I was planning on braving opening weekend this weekend but I've been told don't bother by a few locals I know. Hopefully the storms over next few days will give it a better chance. Apparently the mountain is asking off duty staff not to go up this weekend... Yikes.

Trails open Whistler: Ego Bowl, Upper Whiskey Jack
Blackcomb: Wishbone
Not sure if it's worth the drive from lower mainland or the inevitable ugly upload and download lines. Then again, forecast looks promising and 30cm of fresh is hard not to have fun on...
Anyone planning for opening day/weekend at Whistler?

1 - 20 of 221 Posts