Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Right on, I think I'm going to head up on Monday or Tuesday for my first day. I'll make sure to bring the rock board. Was it pretty busy with American Thanksgiving?
The overall mountain was not busy at all. Practically no lineups and plenty of parking everywhere. BUT the runs are crowded (because there's only a handful of runs open)... mostly with very beginning beginners. I rode Whistler side, maybe Blackcomb was better...

No real need for a rock board, unless you want to venture and explore, which is not very wise anyways because there is VERY little cover. So for the most part, just stay on the groomed runs and there's sufficient cover there to not need a rock board.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went up today and sounds like pretty similar conditions. Before 10am runs were pretty open but after that it was a lot of dodging. Didn't hit a single line all day. Didn't even have a fully loaded chair all day, I could get use to that haha. The open runs between the ropes is well filled in but I went for a few ventures despite the low tide. Hiked the harmony bowl which was great for the top but the ride out and one little Traverse area chewed my board pretty good. Felt it the rest of the day... I'd recommend waiting a little longer for that area unless you're okay with chewing your rock board up haha. Blackcomb was less busy but still lots to dodge. Snowing lightly in the village at the moment so maybe we'll get a little refresh for tomorrow. Feels good to be back!

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Right on, I think I'm going to head up on Monday or Tuesday for my first day. I'll make sure to bring the rock board. Was it pretty busy with American Thanksgiving?
The overall mountain was not busy at all. Practically no lineups and plenty of parking everywhere. BUT the runs are crowded (because there's only a handful of runs open)... mostly with very beginning beginners. I rode Whistler side, maybe Blackcomb was better...

No real need for a rock board, unless you want to venture and explore, which is not very wise anyways because there is VERY little cover. So for the most part, just stay on the groomed runs and there's sufficient cover there to not need a rock board.
I went up today and sounds like pretty similar conditions. Before 10am runs were pretty open but after that it was a lot of dodging. Didn't hit a single line all day. Didn't even have a fully loaded chair all day, I could get use to that haha. The open runs between the ropes is well filled in but I went for a few ventures despite the low tide. Hiked the harmony bowl which was great for the top but the ride out and one little Traverse area chewed my board pretty good. Felt it the rest of the day... I'd recommend waiting a little longer for that area unless you're okay with chewing your rock board up haha. Blackcomb was less busy but still lots to dodge. Snowing lightly in the village at the moment so maybe we'll get a little refresh for tomorrow. Feels good to be back!
Ouch. Yeah everything mid mountain with no man-made snow is skull and bones.

I went Sunday again and it was the same; zero crowds but crowded runs. Not bad either way. Good time to get the legs back...

Lots of snow on the way this week though, so hopefully things fill up a bit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the updates everybody. I’m headed up that way this weekend and will be praying for lots of snow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had a fun day on Thursday with 10-15cm fresh. Not tons but enough to get the beard full of snow which was nice. Friday was fun too but Whistler was pretty skied out and getting a little icy by lunch. Blackcomb was less busy and holding up better. I was finding decent conditions right under the blackcomb gondola. Managed to hit freefall despite the low tide haha.
Looks like some more snow coming this week! I may head up for Monday and or Tuesday but then back to work for me. Saw lots of tracks coming down shale slope Friday. I was tempted but didn't go for the hike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tuesday was the most fresh snow I've had this season and looks like more coming all week! Better late than never. I don't think I'll get another day for riding until the new year but at least after the holidays. Whoever makes it up this week/weekend enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
Seymour is opening tomorrow. Not that that's apocalyptic news, but since they don't have snow-making equipment, it really means something when they open.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Samsquanch opens on Friday.
And sat sun is their 50th year
2 tickets for $50 bucks

Curious to see how the new quad is gonna be?

If it's open 7 days a week now, well not cause it'll be holidays.
But also of jan-march?
I think that could be the ticket this year.
I doubt it's a high speed quad, but if it is, oh my.

Who wants to come?
Should be how opening days used to be.
Before they just say just sprayed shitty fake snow down to cover one run.

You should (I hope) be able to ride everywhere

Woo I'm actually pretty excited.
Opening days used to be sofa king good

TT

·
Registered
6,134 Posts

Check that dumpin'
Green chair will be open as well
But only 2 runs
So 90% of the people will stick to the 2 runs , which leaves me the whole rest of the mountain to slay.

Tomorrow should be deadly
Oh fuck yeah

TT

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Tits deep @ samsquanch, literally.
Good thing I brought the Swift.
Almost didn't, cause I wasn't sure if the really had gotten all the snow they said they got?

They did, but in true Hemlock fashion they didn't have their shit together.

Got there an hour early Friday morning thinking it was going to be nuts.
Almost 10:30 & still no lifts running.
Went back inside & got a refund.
I didn't know the 2 for $50 was an option when I bought my ticket @ 8am
Paid $36, but at least got it back.
At 11am they finally opened the green chair.
So I quicky ran down to the parking lot and bought a ticket off someone that was leaving for $5 bucks.

NOBODY could manage the super heavy deep snow..
And kids just would not listen lol.
Every person I saw had the boards set up wrong.
Twinned out stances, weren't going to get you anywhere.

But a swift slammed back in the rear most inserts, sure did.
Wooooooooo holy fuck did I get some laps in.
I was THE ONLY person that ride it, for real.
The ski patrol couldn't even manage, the were flopping around like beached whales.

The red chair didn't open Friday, guess I didn't read the fine print.
Yesterday it was only open for owners & only 1 run at the end of the day.

Which I missed, gawd dammit.
So I think I'm gonna have to go backup there today.
Cause it's gonna be a mind blowing day I think?
Supposed to be Sunny.
No new snow, but that's ok, it was almost too deep as it was.
That snow should have settled a little bit now making it a little more easy to ride.

But if you think you're gonna be fine with your twinned out park board?
You'd be better off staying home.

Look for the white onesie flying by @ Mach 2.
I'm gonna get at least 40 laps in today.
Second best I think won't even get 10 laps.

I drove from North Vancouver, and it was totally worth it.
Should be no excuses for missing this.
2 tickets for $50 bucks

See ya up there!!!!!

TT

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Fuck it just dawned on me.
I've got a banana hammock at my house.
It isn't mine, I grabbed it for a guy in Europe & have been sitting on it for a couple years.

That thing would have been perfect for that heavy tits deep snow
IMG_20191222_123128.jpg

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Thinking about making the trek up for some Whistlering this weekend. Anybody shredding Saturday?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Upper Crystal was awesome on Thursday, so good I didn't ride anything else! Lines weren't too bad either. Friday was another story.
After dumping snow in the village all night the freezing level moved way up and rained on the bottom half of the mountain. High winds kept the alpine closed. Blackcomb gondola was only going to mid station leaving just excelerator and jersey open both with ridiculous line up's.
Whistler was better but still so busy. Had a nice hike near Franz chair that made for the best run of the day.
It was raining half way up red chair at the end of the day. Looks like it's back to snow on the cams but I don't think I'll be back up until Monday. Heavy rain in Howe Sound so lots or precipitation on the way, hopefully snow!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts