Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts
Nice man! I've got about 60 miles on my XR right now and I love how much it feels like pow turns on paved trails. I'm happy riding and carving pavement right now, but I'm sure I'll take it off road soon. Honestly, it's the best non-snow thing I've ever bought, I love it.
Wait till you start hitting the trails, you will be hooked! Had a local guy cut treads on the stock Vega and holy shit it changed everything, the XR is an off-road beast now, and I'm still at 24psi so it keeps a rounder profile and it turns really well still, but I can also blast gravel roads at 15mph, I've been hitting up forest preserves every day that it's been in the 50's, it's so much fun! Tree Natural landscape Trail Woodland Natural environment

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Tree City car

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Auto part Vehicle

Wait till you start hitting the trails, you will be hooked! Had a local guy cut treads on the stock Vega and holy shit it changed everything, the XR is an off-road beast now, and I'm still at 24psi so it keeps a rounder profile and it turns really well still, but I can also blast gravel roads at 15mph, I've been hitting up forest preserves every day that it's been in the 50's, it's so much fun! View attachment 153801
View attachment 153802
View attachment 153803
Hit me with your insta if you have one!

• front side 180s and 360s from the toe side (I hate those rotations somehow)
  • cab 540 would be awesome, improve on nollie 360
  • solid backside 360 maybe
(all of these on the slope/sidehits, as I am an absolute pussy when it comes to airtime... actually, i would like to get better at jumping ramps too.)
And then I would like to improve my technique in the regular stuff, become a better teacher to more experienced snowboarders (who annoyingly enough make mistakes that are SO HARD to get out compared to beginners), and pass the remaining stuff of the Landes snowboard.

This will probably be my last full season, so I want to make the most out of it :)

I'm not so sure boarding will even be an option next year so I am wasting no energy on thinking about it really, especially if I have to pay $200 a night in a tiny hotel room for 14 days when I get back. Going to get better at my numerous sporting hobbies and perfect my home brew rum making whilst staying happy and safe. Sounds boring, but some types of boring appeals when you get older I reckon.

This thread takes me keenly, as I managed to get a first and last (haha, thanks to the hard shutdown in my state) day on the hill, with my dad.

Hard to be succinct, given my propensity to shit on and on, so I'll list points:
  • Keep pumping/surf-skating, and try to transition that into mild downhill longboarding.
  • getfitloosewieghtblahblahblah
  • get creative when it comes to local snow / country industry. Folks are still hanging on to the best of what they can get from the past, and I appreciate that - but the world is gonna be a VERY different looking place, 6 months from now. I love Hokkaido..... but wonder if I can get back there within the next 3 years.
  • Convince my dad (who is currently living with me, riding out Covid, away from his usual digs and job in Indonesian mining) - convince him to retire. I'd rather he is here and alive with me, getting our one day of the season, vs. earning big (big = big enough to have secret bank accounts in Singapore, with VIP lounges etc... it's pretty fkcing sick, I've been there to see it in person before) $$$. <-- Still no fountain of youth, so $$$ still cannot buy life. We can figure shit out together, even if we are scraping pennies.
  • Keep earning enough to keep being a patron of people I believe in. Won't mention names, but yeah. I try to put aside for worthy causes, and I hope, in spite of the total sh1t that's going down... that they endure.
  • Give where I can. $14 for meat? Take the $20 note, as my effort to try to contribute. I'm a simple guy, but where I can, I will try to keep hopefully slowly drip-feeding the local alpine shire economy
  • Tell anyone from Melbourne, when they're in lockdown, that if they have any thoughts about how our government's measures to try to get the curve to flatten, is beneath them.... maybe take the Subaru VW Polo out, and intimidate them off one of our lovely curvy mountain passes around my way. Perhaps they might get the message, then?

Yes, I'm angry and jaded.

The hottest snow girl I ever dated would say (and I would agree): it's not one or the other. It's not either skiing or snowboarding. I've met both guys and gals who will switch out between skis and snowboards -- for ALL types of snow (whatever we on this forum have, they've got DOUBLE), depending both on what mood they're in, and what conditions are like.

I had a former friend from work, who if she wanted to do 540's on 20+ft park kickers, if she wasn't feeling it on skis that day, she's go back to her staff accom, get into her snowboard boots and gear, and go back to the park.

I think that'd be an awesome skill to have. I never decry skiers (well, not good ones -- just asshole jock weekend skiers), because that's where I came from. I've half a mind to, in addition to my longboards for the summer, get a set of XC land skis, too.

Get her to do both, I reckon! Sorry for shitting on!
Roller skis would be great training. You can get ones with big pneumatic wheels that can be used on dirt and gravel. Skate style - it will work the bejesus out of your legs, IMO. :D

This thread takes me keenly, as I managed to get a first and last (haha, thanks to the hard shutdown in my state) day on the hill, with my dad.

Hard to be succinct, given my propensity to shit on and on, so I'll list points:
  • Keep pumping/surf-skating, and try to transition that into mild downhill longboarding.
  • getfitloosewieghtblahblahblah
  • get creative when it comes to local snow / country industry. Folks are still hanging on to the best of what they can get from the past, and I appreciate that - but the world is gonna be a VERY different looking place, 6 months from now. I love Hokkaido..... but wonder if I can get back there within the next 3 years.
  • Convince my dad (who is currently living with me, riding out Covid, away from his usual digs and job in Indonesian mining) - convince him to retire. I'd rather he is here and alive with me, getting our one day of the season, vs. earning big (big = big enough to have secret bank accounts in Singapore, with VIP lounges etc... it's pretty fkcing sick, I've been there to see it in person before) $$$. <-- Still no fountain of youth, so $$$ still cannot buy life. We can figure shit out together, even if we are scraping pennies.
  • Keep earning enough to keep being a patron of people I believe in. Won't mention names, but yeah. I try to put aside for worthy causes, and I hope, in spite of the total sh1t that's going down... that they endure.
  • Give where I can. $14 for meat? Take the $20 note, as my effort to try to contribute. I'm a simple guy, but where I can, I will try to keep hopefully slowly drip-feeding the local alpine shire economy
  • Tell anyone from Melbourne, when they're in lockdown, that if they have any thoughts about how our government's measures to try to get the curve to flatten, is beneath them.... maybe take the Subaru VW Polo out, and intimidate them off one of our lovely curvy mountain passes around my way. Perhaps they might get the message, then?
Yes, I'm angry and jaded.
with large justification Man, selfish dumbcunce ruining it for everyone else. VIC copped it in part because of Tulla airport being a 24/7 entry point to Aus. So then our state govt has to quarantine these returning travellers, and the dickhead security guards doing the nasty with corona infected people, and not following proper hygiene & distance protocols, then probably spreading it to their families etc etc etc.
Little to no chance for a season in VIC, esp as Vail resorts has shut Hotham and Falls down for however long.

Currently shopping online for masks and working up the motivation to go for a walk or a bike ride.
Did a food shop on friday - no-one physical distancing at the supermarket, & I was about the only one I saw wearing a frikken mask. People here seem to be selfish and stupid. I swear I'm going to find one of those old school hockey goalie masks to wear over my p2, and a Punisher t-shirt.

Fucking Corona Zombies.:mad::mad::mad:

Next year, keep on being a patroller for sure.
For the first time, I will be rolling with two boards, never did since 1995. Will have the choice considering the conditions for sure.

Getting older, will try to focus more on carving and buttering. Because last time I hit a box for jibbing, with my patroller coat on of course, I've catch a edge so badly and took a hell of slam down the box...didn't look good at all.

I had a pretty good season last year before everything went down the drain because of the Covid-XIX, but I sure I'll get a great one again.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #75 ·
I've been following as a preview to what we might see in Canada come November-December...

I think the mountain bike season in Whistler is going to be a good preview of the upcoming ski season. If it all goes to shit and they have to re-close everything, they'll be a lot more cautious about throwing the doors open this winter.

OTOH, if it comes off fairly clean, the only question will be whether they're letting in international travel.

I was keen to go back to Revi next year but I think, even if it were possible, there will be millions of frothing Canadians given their season was cut short and I reckon it will be super busy. IF I can get to Japan without having to pay for 14 days shitty hotel accom when I get back, I think that will be the plan as it is only busy due to Australians and many won't go this season I think. I don't do crowds.

I think the mountain bike season in Whistler is going to be a good preview of the upcoming ski season. If it all goes to shit and they have to re-close everything, they'll be a lot more cautious about throwing the doors open this winter.

OTOH, if it comes off fairly clean, the only question will be whether they're letting in international travel.
Difference being winter time people are indoors more, URTIs spread more easily, flu season happens. Their winter events are more likely to predict our winter events than our summer events are to predict our winter events. We don't predict our flu season based on how our summer goes.

I've been following as a preview to what we might see in Canada come November-December...

Respectfully, I'd be watching Perisher + Falls + Hotham, down here. Forget Buller - they're a lone wolf who will do whatever it takes to test the limits re: Covid, in order to be able to sell as many day tickets as possible (when I say lone wolf, I don't mean a wild, majestic animal - Buller is a disease ridden, mangy, smelly, grotty loser-of-the-pack wolf).

There is SUPPOSED to be a hard border between metropolitan Melbourne, and regional Victorian towns. I would bet both my left nuts, that Buller staff are NOT screening their patrons to determine if they're from a Covid hotspot - they'll take money from wherever, rules be damned (or in Buller's case: "wha.... what are the rules again?")

What's going on with the Vic season now with new lockdowns and CV19 on the up again?
Oh sorry man, I missed this - didn't mean to be rude!

Yep - shit went from double digits, a few days later we're hitting triple digits, Premier Dan Andrews is getting visibly cranky in his press releases, that #MelbourneDoesn'tSeemToFckingGetIt. So he, to quote one of my favourite songs from Bone Thugs n Harmony: "dun shut this whole thing down".

Hard border between Melbourne metro and regional Victoria. TOO MANY warnings to people who are trying to get around the rules, not enough fines, which are too cheap anyway, at only $1600. <<< I reckon the fines should be enough for, e.g. a snowboarder, to have to forfeit an entire season. Say, $8k and a heavy mark against their credit rating? THEN Melburnians might fcking get it.

SO, not sure what Hotham is doing, but Falls have suspended lift operations until at least Aug 19th. Mountain is still open (lodges, eateries), and you can see people hiking on the snow cams - Ski Patrol is still providing services, which is mighty admirable and noble of them, and I tip my hat to those total warriors.

Buller of course, is still going, and as mentioned previously, I doubt they would care if they sold 10 lift tickets to people from one of those housing commission towers - per the movie Idiocracy: "oh yaaah! I like money though".

CV19 numbers don't look like they're on a downward trend - at least not one strong enough to be hopeful that the lifts will start turning again on Aug 19. One of the mayors from a north-east Melbourne shire, apparently mentioned that when you go out, there's no such thing as CV19 - everyone's still up and about without a worry in the world, evidently trying to drive the numbers up.

A couple of locals with contacts up at Falls, reckon that insider info says that the idea that lift operations will recommence in late August, has been canned.

It's a sad state of affairs for the entire state, but don't worry, Melburnians - you keep hugging and kissing each other because no one has a right to take your cultural customs away from you, you keep arranging big gatherings and parties because it's your right, and you keep going out and shopping and taking #LookHowFakelyGlamorousMyLifeIsWhilstIDoASelfieNextToMyGrilledCheeseSandwich shots at cafes.

EDIT: I just thought about that last one. Who the fck does this???? I have NEVER taken a picture of myself, next to a steak and some potatoes, for example.

Oh sorry man, I missed this - didn't mean to be rude!

Yep - shit went from double digits, a few days later we're hitting triple digits, Premier Dan Andrews is getting visibly cranky in his press releases, that #MelbourneDoesn'tSeemToFckingGetIt. So he, to quote one of my favourite songs from Bone Thugs n Harmony: "dun shut this whole thing down".

Hard border between Melbourne metro and regional Victoria. TOO MANY warnings to people who are trying to get around the rules, not enough fines, which are too cheap anyway, at only $1600. <<< I reckon the fines should be enough for, e.g. a snowboarder, to have to forfeit an entire season. Say, $8k and a heavy mark against their credit rating? THEN Melburnians might fcking get it.

SO, not sure what Hotham is doing, but Falls have suspended lift operations until at least Aug 19th. Mountain is still open (lodges, eateries), and you can see people hiking on the snow cams - Ski Patrol is still providing services, which is mighty admirable and noble of them, and I tip my hat to those total warriors.

Buller of course, is still going, and as mentioned previously, I doubt they would care if they sold 10 lift tickets to people from one of those housing commission towers - per the movie Idiocracy: "oh yaaah! I like money though".

CV19 numbers don't look like they're on a downward trend - at least not one strong enough to be hopeful that the lifts will start turning again on Aug 19. One of the mayors from a north-east Melbourne shire, apparently mentioned that when you go out, there's no such thing as CV19 - everyone's still up and about without a worry in the world, evidently trying to drive the numbers up.

A couple of locals with contacts up at Falls, reckon that insider info says that the idea that lift operations will recommence in late August, has been canned.

It's a sad state of affairs for the entire state, but don't worry, Melburnians - you keep hugging and kissing each other because no one has a right to take your cultural customs away from you, you keep arranging big gatherings and parties because it's your right, and you keep going out and shopping and taking #LookHowFakelyGlamorousMyLifeIsWhilstIDoASelfieNextToMyGrilledCheeseSandwich shots at cafes.

EDIT: I just thought about that last one. Who the fck does this???? I have NEVER taken a picture of myself, next to a steak and some potatoes, for example.
Dude, Idiocracy is a Documentary. Too many dumbcunce in Melbourne, and elsewhere, no doubt.

The "fully sik" people may get fully sick. and pass it on to too many others.

I don't get what part of "stay the fuck at home, dickheads" they don't understand.

any bullshit about "my rights (read: lifestyle) are being taken away" is null and void because their stupidity harms others.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.