Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What are your plans or goals for next season?

10K views 81 replies 34 participants last post by  Donutz 
#1 ·
Since we've had a truncated season this year (and where I live, at least, we're getting late-season dumps. Grrrrr), maybe we can distract ourselves a little by thinking about next season. What are your goals? What trick or technique do you want to work on? What were you intending to do this season that you never got around to?

#2 · (Edited)
Well I was going to formally announce my retirement from being the driving force of gear reviews, that's not happening. So I'm going to go physically punish my body from opening day till closing day because I have to do all of the 2021 reviews I didn't then all the 2022 reviews which means my goal of retiring and being able to ride my own equipment is now over. FML. Other than that I'd like to get miller flips and hand plants back and I'm doing what I can now to build up the muscles I need for that since all I have is time. I'd also like to actually use the Indy Pass and go to all the small resorts I didn't, but lets see where I'm at financially for that because I honestly have a feeling I'm going to be working as a snow carnie to get a pass. Sad and depressing? Just being real.

#3 ·
Have about 10 pto days that are not gonna be used now since our season ended and we're on lockdown so no summer trips to use pto on for the forseeable future, so I got a feeling im gonna be able to stack a lot of riding days together next year, I usually do about 50 days a year, maybe try to hit 70 , this is all assuming my company and job is still around by then :oops:

#5 ·
I had 2 1/2 bad seasons because of a knee problem that turned out to be a tight IT band. (side note: that's now two chronic physical ailments I've had that turned out to be easily curable when I finally grabbed a brain and visited a physio.) Anyway, I finally got all my mojo back this season and was on track for new highs when, well, you know...

But I've not been practicing things like switch riding, buttering, penguin walk, manuals, and such stuff that you don't normally do while riding unless you make a point of doing it. This upcoming season, I'm going to take the time to get these techniques back.

I'm also going to go to the Whistler Demo Centre several times and burn my way through all their boards. I'm not going to just buy boards on a whim any more. The EJack taught me that I don't know shit about boards and I need to do my homework.

#9 ·
But I've not been practicing things like switch riding, buttering, penguin walk, manuals, and such stuff that you don't normally do while riding unless you make a point of doing it. This upcoming season, I'm going to take the time to get these techniques back.
I want to learn the penguin walk! I also adore riding with my kids and we went "off piste riding" this year and did "trees". More of that :) . I also went riding with Unsuspected and his better half. The first time I rode with actual snowboarders... that was so much fun. More of that :)

Already stoked on next season... :D

#8 ·
I was just at the point where my knee surgery from the ACL/Meniscus tear two years ago was no longer bothering me and my leg and knee were getting a lot stronger when this season ended. I was lapping the park working my way up to the bigger jumps and boxes/rails, so I'll probably do that.

Also I've been meaning to flip the bindings on a very directional board to force myself to work on further improving my switch riding since I was holding off on that due to my knee. Now I can't even get on my splitboard because the forest service has closed public lands to all uphill travel. It makes sense from an emergency responder perspective, but I'm bummed.

#20 ·
Now I can't even get on my splitboard because the forest service has closed public lands to all uphill travel. It makes sense from an emergency responder perspective, but I'm bummed.
Wut...have I been in the basement too long?...haven't heard this...I thought Jay said we should get outside for some exercise. I got 10 days off coming up...released from the hospital. Actually the hospital is really sloooow and lots of staff are called off/low census because there are not many patents to take care of. Fuk that, I'm splitting at least 1 day.

#10 ·
Back to Japan, might try Niseko but keen to have a look at Nozawa Onsen, Northern US/Canada maybe, have family in Massachusetts so based out of there I guess and a local Aus/NZ trip.........optimistic maybe but see what the new world brings I guess in terms of travel and costs.

#13 ·
So many goals...

-get out there 20-30 days again
-try out splitboarding with my gf
-get better at riding the trees
-get more comfortable in the air and with drops.
-Try getting 180s and maybe 360s down
-Spend more time riding in the trees
-Mess around with things like butters and play with small rail features
But mostly...
-keep enjoying this silly hobby/sport and being thankful that I'm still able to do it after what my body has been through. Lots of work ahead of me in the off season to set things up.

I still need to decide what pass stuff I'm going to end up going with. I'm honestly not sure but I really want to spend at least a week at jay again this season.

What flu business? You're getting hit with the flu in Swiss miss land?

#14 · (Edited)
My favourite Dave Downing quote: "Do it to stoke people out and make snowboarding look good"

I love snowboarding. I enjoy the sport in all its forms (yes, even slalom), the community, cameraderie. I want people to see how much fun it is, how diverse it is and get stoked like we all are.

I chatted with a couple of friends about this today (from a socially acceptable distance...by text message). That's my goal for every season, now. It's the reason I teach as well. Teaching is hard, but the happiness when something clicks for a beginner is amazing. Advanced riders are fun, too, but they already like the sport; they're already hooked. Giving a newbie their first 'hit' of this drug that we're all addicted to is fun. Having a student leave a lesson and say they want to be pro snowboarder when they're older is awesome.

I'll ride a lot of boards this year...like every year. I enjoy doing it, learning about them, learning about the companies behind them, comparing boards in various types of terrain/conditions, talking about them with anyone willing to humour me. It makes me a better rider. It also allows me to speak knowledgably with my students, other riders and other instructors about gear. I have my own preferences, but I still enjoy riding boards that I know aren't actually 'my style.' It helps the (mostly local) economy. So I'll keep doing that this season, too.

Finally, I love riding with my kids. Looking forward to doing more of that this year as well. Hopefully by the end of next season we'll all be riding boards, with nobody left on skis.

Edit: Hoping to get the snowskate out more than two days next season as well...

#17 ·
Given the Aussie dollar being so shit, I think it's time I forget Japan where I have gone for so many years and consider Canada again as I enjoyed their company last time I did a season with the family there..maybe Reve as that's an awesome mountain. Probably just continue to work on carving trying to get natural and switch the same and board less, but appreciate it more each time I go. Love to ride with my boys even though they will kill me following them in the surf or snow one day as they are much better than me.

Reactions: buller_scott
#19 ·
I love the idea of owning less and doing more, but I'm relatively new to things and a decent rider. I know that the couple of boards i have will do everything I need them to do but I'm so curious about how things ride differently etc.

I was never like this with bikes when I used to race lol. Bought the right way boards are way cheaper and definitely take up way less room!

#22 ·
Oh i 100% agree.....two weeksand shit will hit the fan. Our census in the emergency department is waaaayyyyy down on # of ppl but up on acuity. I actually went home early tonight which never happens. But that being said......we had a huge upswing of rapid intubations in the ed yesterday. Our covid floor is pretty full. And our icu and pcu have switched to icu covid and icu not covid.
To get back on track...my goals for this next year are
To get out with as many different groups of people as possible. I find i learn something new every time I go with a different group.
To continue to fine tune the gear that works best for me. In all the years I've been boarding this past year was the first time I've had properly fitting boots and I've been able to get so much better.
To have quality not quantity.
To push my limits a little each time so i can continue to improve but to stay healthy because I need to work too.

#25 ·
Oh i 100% agree.....two weeksand shit will hit the fan. Our census in the emergency department is waaaayyyyy down on # of ppl but up on acuity. I actually went home early tonight which never happens. But that being said......we had a huge upswing of rapid intubations in the ed yesterday. Our covid floor is pretty full. And our icu and pcu have switched to icu covid and icu not covid.
To get back on track...my goals for this next year are
To get out with as many different groups of people as possible. I find i learn something new every time I go with a different group.
To continue to fine tune the gear that works best for me. In all the years I've been boarding this past year was the first time I've had properly fitting boots and I've been able to get so much better.
To have quality not quantity.
To push my limits a little each time so i can continue to improve but to stay healthy because I need to work too.
Which state are you in?

In MA there's been some commotion because some of the harvard hospitals are cutting salaries for ED docs...

I stay with the good old "ride more powder", and get my foot fixed... (feels a bit like Groundhog Day ? was supposed to happen this spring. Well... excellent timing, right?)
Get that taken care of! Good time to plan out a solid recovery.

#24 ·
I stay with the good old "ride more powder", and get my foot fixed... (feels a bit like Groundhog Day ? was supposed to happen this spring. Well... excellent timing, right?)

#32 ·
To simply get back on a deck. Having missed the entire season with my shoulder, I am so looking forward to the simple joy of sliding down a run, any run. I am working hard to build the shoulder strength back up so as to have the confidence in it to survive a fall. I guess I could avoid that issue by simply not falling...........Ya, like that's going to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.