Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to expand my quiver and definitely in the market for a powder board.

However i'm not really sure what aspects of a board can aid in sticking landings into powder and was wondering what they would be?

I understand nothing can compensate for correct skill and technique, however before I got an all-mtn stick I spent a couple weeks of small drops into powder (10-15ft) on a park board & it definitely wasnt always the easiest to ride out.

I was actually looking at the Capita x Spring break Diamond tail & i'm really looking to expand more into medium sized backcountry hits & cliffs (20ft-50ft) in Whistler for my second season.

Any info would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I was looking to expand my quiver and definitely in the market for a powder board.

However i'm not really sure what aspects of a board can aid in sticking landings into powder and was wondering what they would be?

I understand nothing can compensate for correct skill and technique, however before I got an all-mtn stick I spent a couple weeks of small drops into powder (10-15ft) on a park board & it definitely wasnt always the easiest to ride out.

I was actually looking at the Capita x Spring break Diamond tail & i'm really looking to expand more into medium sized backcountry hits & cliffs (20ft-50ft) in Whistler for my second season.

You should look at something with a tail, ideally a somewhat stiff tail. Can be a pintail or maybe deep swallow (like Burton Landlord) but not so much just a super short swallow/chopped off tail.

Two reasons:
1. Landings for drops (or jumps) you will want to be somewhat backfoot heavy (otherwise you risk going over the handlebars) and you need something to push against to prevent you from falling backwards.
2. Medium/bigger cliffs are usually in steeper terrain so you want enough length and edge to give you sufficient stability and edge hold.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
Have a real tail, a big nose and camber.

How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for more of an all mountain board than a powder board. Yes PYL, Burton Flight Attendant, Burton Landlord, and Lago Open Road all seem like promising options. The Lago is brand new so little is known about it, but initial whispers are very positive and it's similar to the PYL and Flight Attendant which basically everyone loves.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for more of an all mountain board than a powder board. Yes PYL, Burton Flight Attendant, Burton Landlord, and Lago Open Road all seem like promising options. The Lago is brand new so little is known about it, but initial whispers are very positive and it's similar to the PYL and Flight Attendant which basically everyone loves.
Let me get this straight, are you recommending the Lago essentially based on "rumour has it this board is like these other boards"? Has anyone here even touched one of Lagos boards yet? I know I haven't.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Let me get this straight, are you recommending the Lago essentially based on "rumour has it this board is like these other boards"? Has anyone here even touched one of Lagos boards yet? I know I haven't.
Looking at the stats on sidecut, width, taper, setback, etc, it would be hard to fuck up. ;) Joking aside, I trust Nivek's thoughts on it.

PS - Jones Flagship is another potential option.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
I have, through pow and gnar crud. It crushes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay sweet, well thanks for the thoughts guys - they all actually make a lot of sense.

The dupraz is a solid option given that UT is one of the local stockists.

In response to Nivek i'm 145lbs, 5' 7 with a size 9 boot.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
Okay sweet, well thanks for the thoughts guys - they all actually make a lot of sense.

The dupraz is a solid option given that UT is one of the local stockists.

In response to Nivek i'm 145lbs, 5' 7 with a size 9 boot.
I'm just a little heavier than you, and I have a 158 Solitude for sale. Just a heads up as it does fit what you're looking for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay great man! I'm based in the UK right now until BC winter starts though, so shipping might be expensive.

But i'll definitely consider that as another option, thanks dude!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, thanks for all your help on this (I know this is a late reply).

I was trying to sort out the Dupraz D1 and have been told they've been delayed stocking worldwide till january.

I can either wait or pick another deck, i've actually been given the option to go toward a Capita Spring Break Tree hunter, which I understand shares a big nose, but is flat underfoot and has a small swallowtail. Which I know isnt a real tail or camber as advised.

Would this make it unsuitable for the criteria I was talking about above (drops and pow kickers)?
If so its not an issue and I can wait till Jan, but it'd be sweet to have a stick for the winter dumps really I guess.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Springbreak is def not what you want for dropping cliffs, its got a pretty fragile/light balsa core, I have a spring break sick 66 and slush slasher. The slush slasher is more solid and ok dropping smaller cliffs but I'm pretty sure the sick 66 would break doing 20ft-50ft drops. Get a nitro quiver all mountain or pow the pow is great for cliffs and deep days.

Spring breaks are for slashing not dropping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey,

Thank you I appreciate the advice (unfortunately already pulled the trigger), but what youve told me is surprising as Ive heard from multiple sources that the width and taper make it pretty stable on jumps and hits.

Theres a quick clip here of a tester dropping a small 20-30ft cliff and it seemed to hold up fine

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Hey,

Thank you I appreciate the advice (unfortunately already pulled the trigger), but what youve told me is surprising as Ive heard from multiple sources that the width and taper make it pretty stable on jumps and hits.

Theres a quick clip here of a tester dropping a small 20-30ft cliff and it seemed to hold up fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm-76pqGL8M
You'll be fine.
I rode the Powder Pill for a whole day at Baldface lodge.

Took it off lots of cliffs, it felt great.

They're almost identical.

TT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You'll be fine.
I rode the Powder Pill for a whole day at Baldface lodge.

Took it off lots of cliffs, it felt great.

They're almost identical.

TT
Thanks TT I appreciate the insight.
I'll be using the deck 90% of the time for cruising the white stuff but its a relief to know I can still send it on some backcountry booters & cliffs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've seen snapped springbreaks, it can do it but over time its not going to handle it like a traditional board would. As long as you are landing in bottomless powder you should be fine for a while. But if you happen to land on a rock or log its not going to take it like stiffer tradition core board would. That surflitecore is not the strongest material. Best of luck to you, the diamond tail is a sick board. I just picked up this years tree hunter and thinking about grabbing the powder wolf.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BB1VKPTo6b2/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh right!! Thanks for the info, ill definitely bear that in mind- especially given the price point!
I wish there was more rider information/reviews on these decks out there.
Will probably play it safe following your insight and leave the hits to my all mtn freestyle deck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts