Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be it a new move or fine tuning that killer trick, what did you learn?

For my part, I taught myself how to snowboard from scratch this season. I'm at the point right now of doing 10-15 foot jumps with Indy grabs and 50/50's on boxes and rails.

Got about 30 days of riding.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
i actually learned a good amount of things this season. for one i landed my first front 1080 but i wouldnt say i have it down yet. i only got it around maybe 6 times and landed 3 of them. also for spins i got back 5s, switchback 5s, misty flips and cab 3s down and i can land back and switch back 7s every now and then.

other than that i worked on my overall riding a lot and learned a ton of new things on rails like front blunts and variations of that.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i actually learned a good amount of things this season. for one i landed my first front 1080 but i wouldnt say i havent it down yet. i only got it around maybe 6 times and landed 3 of them. also for spins i got back 5s, switchback 5s, misty flips and cab 3s down and i can land back and switch back 7s every now and then.

other than that i work on my overall riding a lot and learned a ton of new things on rails like front blunts and variations of that.

Damn, thats pretty good, lets see some of that footy!

Learned:

50-50 rails (no kinks)
got comfy on most boxes
Tail grab
Nose grab
indy
can do jumps up to like 20ish feet now with grabs above (couldn't even comfortably do the kiddy park jumps at beginning of season haha, so its a big impovement for me hehe)
very scetchy switch riding

(next season i want to get board slides and 180s down, maybe even a 3 hah)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Damn, thats pretty good, lets see some of that footy!

Learned:

50-50 rails (no kinks)
got comfy on most boxes
Tail grab
Nose grab
indy
can do jumps up to like 20ish feet now with grabs above (couldn't even comfortably do the kiddy park jumps at beginning of season haha, so its a big impovement for me hehe)
very scetchy switch riding

(next season i want to get board slides and 180s down, maybe even a 3 hah)

thanks, my friend and i are working on a edit right now but havent gotten really started yet. sadly some of the cooler things i did like the 10's and such i didnt get on tape cause its hard to find people to film for you a lot of the time but there should still be some pretty good shots.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
This season I worked on a little bit of everything. First I had to just re-master the basics since I hadn't been in about 8 years. Thankfully, that didn't take much. Then I started working on my freestyle in general. Learned some 50-50's on boxes, got some grabbing off of jumps, just general freestyle. I also got to learn tree riding, and deep powder riding. Overall, a very good return to the sport I have missed so much. :D

·
2,316 Posts
I learned that your not impervious when screwing around on the bunny hill. I don't know what I did to catch such a bad edge, but it ended in a 3-set sumersault with a landing on my right hip which I screwed up 3 days earlier from getting way to much air on a jump and landing on the flat : X

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
I learned how to do a suitcase grab. Other than that, I've been fine tuning my bust anywhere on the hill tail presses. I can grab the tail while pressing. I also improved my switch riding and flatground backside 180.

I think next season I'm going to work my courage back up to bigger kickers since I've been doing kiddy jumps again.

It's weird, on the slopes I won't hesitate to hit a jump. But in the park, I see a bigger jump and get scared again. At least I have a helmet now.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I learned that herniating 2 discs in your lower back sucks balls and no type of fairy dust or unicorn horn could do anything to save my wasted season. Before that I was learning fs boardslides and finally after over 10 years of riding getting more comfortable riding switch for anything more than like 15 seconds.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I learned that -
I'm still shit scared of the park.
I can finally do a nice 180.
that free riding is def my thing.
Cliff drops are the only thing that scare me (outside the park)
Helmets will protect you from trees.
Double black chutes on a powder day at kicking horse are as close to heaven as one can get on earth!

N

·
0 Posts
I learned that when you take a hard fall, get right back up as quick as you can and keep going. To sit there in the cold and let the pain just settle in saying ooooo owwww waaaaa.......:thumbsdown:

So from now on....get up and keep going ASAP.

Just one of the many things I learned this season...

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I learned that it's important not to land on your tailbone twice in a row.

Subsequently I learned the importance of butt pads.
No shit. My tailbone is still pretty tender from a hit I took over two months ago - and that was with pads.

I'm very happy with the progress I made this year. I'm very comfortable everywhere on the mountain now. Finally made my way into the park and I can do simple boxes and hit any jump in there outside of the stupidly huge ones. I want to continue to progress in that area next season and work on more complex boxes, start tinkering with rails, and work on more tricks off of jumps. My main goals for next season are getting BS and FS 360s on lock. I wouldn't mind to start working on inverted aerials as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I learned to always make sure the heel cups are tightly screwed in on my Ride bindings. Ruined maybe a quarter of my season not realizing what the problem was. Just assumed I was riding worse cuz my skills were deteriorating for some reason...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts