Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the pandemic, there's a lot more tendency to bring our own food instead of hitting the restaurant. So what do you bring? Sandwiches? Something in a thermos? Granola bars? Cold pizza?

·
Registered
302 Posts
used to pack a sandwich and maybe some dried meat. the last 4 years i've only packed 2 monster ultras (one for the first lift and one for around midday) and only having a meal when i get back to wherever i'm staying. in future i'll be ditching the monsters as caffeine is having more serious side effects than increased anxiety and lack of sleep, so i'm trying to quit (for the bajillion-th time).

my guess would be to pack food that doesn't come to pieces in your pack/pocket, doesn't get affected by the cold and doesn't need utensils to eat.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,552 Posts
Dried dates and mango, salty cashew nuts and almonds. And a sandwich with dried meat or mountain cheese, or both :) and a small thermos with hot tea is always in the backpack anyway in cold months, no matter if pandemic or not. Don't want to waste time in a queue to buy food or drinks when there's pow to ride.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I eat a huge breakfast, usually something like a huge plate of pancakes. Then sugar free gatorade + cliff bar for lunch, then I absolutely pig out when I get home and the adrenaline dies down, and dinner tastes absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm with Wrath on this one. Lunch is a non event on hill days. Have a solid breakfast, pack a few bars into the jacket and go. With the Covid thing on, I'm finding a thermos of coffee / hot chocolate back at the car when I take a break is perfect to stay hydrated and then back at 'er until the legs pack it in. And yes SEWi, dinner always tastes amazing after a hill day!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I try to eat a bowl of oatmeal with my cup of coffee before hitting the hill. I'll toss a cliff bar or granola bar in my pocket and keep a big bottle of water in the car for the ride to/from.

Then I'll crush a big dinner when home. I'm not one to stop riding once I'm there unless I absolutely need to.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The first time I fasted was an accident when I was mountaineering. I woke up late for an alpine start and my crew was already ready to go. I threw on a headlamp and ran after them in the dark without breakfast or a snack for later. We climbed two technical fourteeners and a thirteener that day, and I'd never felt better. Sure I was a little hungry, but I was flying up and down those mountains. I couldn't believe how much more energy I had. Now that's just how I roll.

I fast during the day, while out riding or not. I've found mental and physical performance gains this way, but it might not be for everybody. I used to bring a chunk of meat in my pocket, but now I just wait. MCT oil does help my stomach feel better without anything in it. Eating fat keeps you in a fat burning state and doesn't break the fast.

I can't tell you how often my friends will suck after stopping for lunch. Maybe it's the beers and bloodys, but I think the food plays a large role in the lethargy they experience. I know that they probably only have a handful of runs in them after they eat too. Meanwhile, I'm raging around the mountain racking up hot laps.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If any of you ever find yourself riding in Italy, a chocolate bar and a can of pop isn't going to cut it. They may even get you thrown off the mountain.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Oh man my wife has been crushing in this department. She found these thermoses that are wide enough to eat from with spoon or fork. Some meals we have had include beef stew, stuffed shells, chili...yea I’ll never eat lodge food again. We’ll also bring a third thermos with coffee. Now if I’m riding alone...I’m usually stuck chewing pine needles.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'm with Wrath on this one. Lunch is a non event on hill days. Have a solid breakfast, pack a few bars into the jacket and go. With the Covid thing on, I'm finding a thermos of coffee / hot chocolate back at the car when I take a break is perfect to stay hydrated and then back at 'er until the legs pack it in. And yes SEWi, dinner always tastes amazing after a hill day!
Same here, I'm a 2 meal a day person (breakfast and dinner). Run hard all day till dinner.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been stopping at the A&W at the bottom of Seymour on the way and picking up a couple of breakfast sandwiches. That's enough to get me through to early afternoon, and a couple of granola bars will take care of the rest. But it would be nice to have a lunch in the back of the car. Fortunately it's cold back there, so things keep, at least for a few hours.

The thermos idea sounds good, though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pack of sliced bread and a bag of potato chips. Though now I'm having my doubts due to the anti-carbs hydration thread...
Peeing all the time is fine, it's better to be overhydrated when snowboarding than under. Not to mention I take creatine and BCAAs so I basically never get sore (my muscles still get weak though) so I really need to drink.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Usually make a wrap with lunch meat and cheese. I like the wraps better than sandwiches because they don't get as soggy. Also carry one of the following: beef jerky, peanuts or granola bars.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Tend to have a decent breakfast, take a protein bar and stop for a hot chocolate and muffin late morning if I get tired or bored. A big meal of any description results in a food coma and poor performance for me. I never carry a backpack though and don't really like things in my pockets either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts