Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They say that sintered boards are more delicate than extruded and require waxing to prevent damage. Has anyone never waxed and incurred serious base damage? Are sintered boards really that much more fragile? How often should I wax to prevent damage? My base is the Burton WFO.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You will see some white stuff, on base if you won't wax it often. You can get more base damage with a rocks. Nothing really serious, and non-repairable. Hope you don't mind riding slower then your friends, do you?

·
Registered
223 Posts
When you don't wax your board Jesus burns a kitten on every lap you take.

As far as wax protecting your board from rocks... think about that for a second. Did you ever have to take a geology course? Remember hardness tests? You take two objects and scratch them together. The object that gets scratched is the less hard of the two. Back to snowboards... you have a base made of some form of plastic. Rocks are made of... rock (silica, quartz, granite etc etc etc). Which is harder, plastic or rock? Now... wax, which is harder, wax or rock? I'm pretty sure that rock beats base and wax on the hardness test. A thousandth of an inch of wax on your base ain't going to change that either.

Wax your base to go fast. Avoid rocks unless you want to look hardcore.

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
They say that sintered boards are more delicate than extruded and require waxing to prevent damage. Has anyone never waxed and incurred serious base damage? Are sintered boards really that much more fragile? How often should I wax to prevent damage? My base is the Burton WFO.
Based on my very limited experience with different boards, the brand of the board (and therefore construction techniques and material) makes more of a difference than extruded vs sintered. My Heritage is a sintered base and it's way tougher than some of the extruded cheapos I've owned.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Arbor sintered bases are softer than cheese. NS sintered bases are pretty fucking sturdy.

Wax or don't wax. It doesn't have anything to do with damage. Something as soft as wax isn't going to protect something as hard as a snowboard base.

It's like rubbing petroleum jelly on a bumper to protect it from scratches.

Mammoth spring/slush riding, wax made a huge difference. First day was waxed up real well, all was good in the world. Got lazy that night, thinking I still had wax on it, so I didn't reapply. Day #2 I felt like I was on suction cups in the flatter areas. To the point I felt like I was going to go over the handlebars when there was a drastic change in snow conditions (shaded firm area to a sun exposed slurpee).

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Mammoth spring/slush riding, wax made a huge difference. First day was waxed up real well, all was good in the world. Got lazy that night, thinking I still had wax on it, so I didn't reapply. Day #2 I felt like I was on suction cups in the flatter areas. To the point I felt like I was going to go over the handlebars when there was a drastic change in snow conditions (shaded firm area to a sun exposed slurpee).
Yah, and sometimes the snow appearance is the same but in some areas water pools a couple feet down, looks consistent and then under snow octopus grabs your board as you grind to near halt in seconds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts