Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Burton Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an official definition of this board category? What is a party board in reference to? What sort of ridding would it be used for? Is it mostly another word for volume shifted boards? Someone please enlighten me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buying another board are we? Looking for something in the opposite end of the spectrum to complement the endeavor alpha?
Haha yup! That thing comes in on Tuesday! such fast shipping even coming from Canada! Best part was not tax!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Haha yup! That thing comes in on Tuesday! such fast shipping even coming from Canada! Best part was not tax!
The yup is a fun board too!

You could size down on something like a niche ember to make it more party board-y. Probably the 150cm for you.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
So, what does “volume board” and “volume shifted” mean?
Volume shifted boards take the volume of a traditionally shaped board and cram that into a shorter footprint. They get much wider to pack in the same amount of surface area as a longer board. Look at a K2 Cool Bean vs. a traditional powder board. A 144 Cool Bean can float my 225#, while my traditional long powder board is a 166. Their total volume is about the same while their lengths are not.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What confused me the most at first was the mention of "volume"... it's acutally "surface" or "area"... a technicality really but as a scientist I found it weird at first. Of course, it's all just lingo at some point.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
What confused me the most at first was the mention of "volume"... it's acutally "surface" or "area"... a technicality really but as a scientist I found it weird at first. Of course, it's all just lingo at some point.
Totally, volume is a weird way to talk about it. I think it's being used like in boating terminology- how much water volume does the shape displace? Marketers are probably trying to imply how well they float. Snowboards aren't boats- they don't float.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
It comes from snowboardings crippling reliance on Skate and Surf for terminology.
How many times do you face palm reading the below?

The SURFLITE 2.0 CORE™ was designed exclusively for our Spring Break Ultralight Powder Displacement Snowcraft to create a core that floats on top of the deepest powder. In surfboard design, a thicker, more buoyant core will help the board float more naturally than a thin dense one. With this inspiration, we have developed and now evolved an industry-first core featuring Beech underlays. As each Spring Break Ultralight Powder Displacement Snowcraft has a unique shape, each SURFLITE 2.0 CORE™ features a unique alignment of Blocked Balsa and strategically placed Poplar through-out the board. In a development partnership with Union Binding Company, we have incorporated Forged Carbon Diamond Plates into the insert area of the core, creating the most high-tech and floatable core of all time.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I do not like Corey Smith. He is an unoriginal asshat who has a "more core than thou" attitude and thinks he is FSM's gift to snowboard shapes.

Yes, that entire paragraph is just obnoxious. Knowing the tech and materials, I read that as:

"These are light, and they don't flex much. Actually we built them so light that we had to use automotive carbon fiber under the bindings so they don't explode. And we had to use a hardwood at the base so you don't just dent it by looking at it. Oh and we had to actually put some normal ass core in there too so they don't just snap. Really we should have just made them with normal construction techniques, but Corey's dumb face wants them to be "surfboards" and balsa is wicked buoyant in actual liquids and vintage surfboards were made of balsa, so this is our solution."

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would the Stale Fish be considered a "party board" or a powder board? Both? I want one weighing in just about 200lbs with my size 8 boots. Don't really want the 157 trying to find something shorter than my usual 158/159 I ride. 153 seems intriguing but I can bet a better price a kit $100 less on a 148. Is that too short?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts