Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Power Bottom
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My style has changed over the years. Ive gone from park to freestyle to more freeride big mountain riding. Currently Im riding a 165 freestyle type board but I want something big and stiff and no Im not talking about trannys. I was thinking about an 170cm arbor aframe, but is there something even bigger and less flexy?

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
Winterstick Tom Burt Pro 172 model is your only answer. 10mm of taper and some rad graphics.

OK< it might be, but you could try the Birdman by Libtech. I don't remember the sizes.

Or you could even get a Duprez. Super Pow shapes.

Farmer rides a 205 i think.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Birdman is not a long board as such, it's a 156 with a long nose added on for powder.
You need to look at effective edge and sidecut radius measurements to really get a good understanding of how "big" a board really is. On top of that you need to know exactly what features you want in a board, from the sound of it you are not looking for a powder stick but a carving machine. Donek do some nice race style boards as mentioned above, you could also look at the furberg 173 with 20m sidecut radius!
Furberg Snowboards - Freeride 173

The more boards you try the more you get a feel for what you like and what you dont

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Also take a look at the Kessler Ride 168. It's designed to be a big mountain/freeride board with a lot of good tech in it. Not cheap but I haven't heard a bad thing about Kesslers yet. I'm currently riding a Burton T7 159 which is super stiff, and I might switch to the Kessler if I find a good deal on one.

·
Registered
947 Posts
My style has changed over the years. Ive gone from park to freestyle to more freeride big mountain riding. Currently Im riding a 165 freestyle type board but I want something big and stiff and no Im not talking about trannys. I was thinking about an 170cm arbor aframe, but is there something even bigger and less flexy?
Prior Freeride goes up to a 176 (custom order is available)

Donek Incline goes up to 182 (although you can order a custom shape)

Rad Air Tanker ranges from 172-200cm (I used to ride the 172cm).

Glissade Big Guns come in 175,185,195

Or.... you could go with the Radical Surf 222cm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow I really like the idea of a really large board but how the hell do you transport that thing? I'm having a hard time finding board bags past 180cm

·
Registered
61 Posts
not sure if what you're looking for, but the prior swallowtail is 181, you can order custom made lengths from prior and pogo.
Pogo makes a 235 wintergun and 205 wingergun, I've heard about a 270 wintergun. rad air tanker is a nice one, radical surf is kind of soft....
there are lots of 180x too, the birdman, nidecker legend is a 175, winterstick's TB pro is great, their swally is 184. Nitro slash is still being made, at a 172.
Venture has infinite sizing, you can get a 180 with 28 waist or something retarded like that.
APO has a 186 swallowtail
voile has a bunch of splits.
oh and most of prior's stuff goes up to a ~180 size.

Anyways that's all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This has really piqued my interest! I am now convinced that I have to buy or at least try one of these boards if given the chance.

Dont meen to hijack but i've noticed that a lot of people who use super long boards also use hard bindings and the generally ignore the "rule" about having a little bit of toe overhang. With some exceptions, super long boards tend to have gigantic waist widths. Are these "rules" just thrown out the window or just become a preference thing?

·
Registered
947 Posts
This has really piqued my interest! I am now convinced that I have to buy or at least try one of these boards if given the chance.

Dont meen to hijack but i've noticed that a lot of people who use super long boards also use hard bindings and the generally ignore the "rule" about having a little bit of toe overhang. With some exceptions, super long boards tend to have gigantic waist widths. Are these "rules" just thrown out the window or just become a preference thing?
1. Hardboot riders pretty much always setup their board to have zero toe overhang because it is pretty common to have the board tipped over a lot and boot drag happens much easier. With hardboot bindings, you are getting significantly more power transfer, so it isn't necessary to have a "little overhang" to give you some leverage like you do with regular bindings.

2. Alpine boards range in the 18-21cm waist widths. Many of the long boards are design for powder and bigger heavier riders (with big feet). However, not all big boards have big waists I've ridden the Rad Air Tankers have regular waist widths (the 200 cm version has 25.5 cm waist).

·
Registered
61 Posts
take into consideration sidecut vs waist, more sidecut=more board underneath the bindings. That's probably the easiest way to do it.
my 181 prior has a 265 waist, seems fine to me.
getting a stiffer binding+boots will help energy transfer too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts