Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Most bindings are so close to each other that just a little bit of snow packed on your board will completely negate any weight savings. Like others have said, just find a pair that you like and feel comfortable riding.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I saw a thread from another forum a last year that had all the bindings weighed and the contrabands came in the lightest. I don't know if that is still true since they have changed since the first ones a good bit.

There may not be a single lightest binding. With the large size range of bindings the lightest for a size size 7 boot could be different then a size 8 boot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Rome SDS got back to me - the United is their lightest binding around 1.6lbs - i'll post more as i keep hearing back....
I am curious, are you trying to get the lightest setup possible since you're asking about lightest boots and about the Burton Method on another thread. Do you have a specific purpose behind this?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I'm thinking some of the Burton EST bindings must be pretty light, since they have almost no basepalte, no disc, and only 2 screws instead of 4.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am curious, are you trying to get the lightest setup possible since you're asking about lightest boots and about the Burton Method on another thread. Do you have a specific purpose behind this?
i plan to take over the world :)

i'm looking for new bindings and boots. i wanted to start my search at the lightest end of the spectrum. which is why i'm emailing all the binding companies and all the boots companies and asking what is their lightest product. then hopefully among those offered i will find something comfortable that will do the job...

so far, the Flite Union is the lightest binding I have ever held in my hand...

PS. i would never buy a method. its disgustingly expensive. i just thought people should see/feel what space age technology can do with a snowboard. it is truly a technological marvel and it gives a new perspective on what snowboards can be like/could be like...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm also curious why weight is not a listed metric for hardgoods. I find it an important factor important when choosing my stuff.
I agree with you on that point, although more for boards than for bindings. I asked the moderators on the Ride forum why board weights are not provided, the way all other specs/dimensions are, and all I got was a song and dance about why I shouldn't really want to know them.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You really don't want to know the weight of everything. I'm all for getting light gear. I own Contrabands and F20's. The problem comes when all weight is know it becomes a buying point. That means that the companies now need to make their stuff light to compete. That would result in degraded durability across the board. Companies and shops have an unspoken agreement to prevent that type of arms race that none want to take place in. You would end up with people buying smaller boots bindings and boards then they normally would just to save weight and everything would break faster.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would think the ride contrabands because it only has one strap. For boots check out the thirtytwo ultralight. Honestly even if you get "lightest" gear i'm guessing it's only going to be around a 2 pound difference from an average setup. Which you wouldn't really notice.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You really don't want to know the weight of everything. I'm all for getting light gear. I own Contrabands and F20's. The problem comes when all weight is know it becomes a buying point. That means that the companies now need to make their stuff light to compete. That would result in degraded durability across the board. Companies and shops have an unspoken agreement to prevent that type of arms race that none want to take place in. You would end up with people buying smaller boots bindings and boards then they normally would just to save weight and everything would break faster.
they will break faster and people will buy more :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
i plan to take over the world :)

i'm looking for new bindings and boots. i wanted to start my search at the lightest end of the spectrum. which is why i'm emailing all the binding companies and all the boots companies and asking what is their lightest product. then hopefully among those offered i will find something comfortable that will do the job...

so far, the Flite Union is the lightest binding I have ever held in my hand...

PS. i would never buy a method. its disgustingly expensive. i just thought people should see/feel what space age technology can do with a snowboard. it is truly a technological marvel and it gives a new perspective on what snowboards can be like/could be like...
The Flites are great...BUT! I had them out just before Christmas, and I was breaking them in, and such, and I noticed that they are good, solid bindings, but for my preferences, I didn't like them for carving and cruising. If you're jibbing around, they are perfect--which is why I put them on my smaller board. For my all-mountain stick, I like the Forces. Much more solid when you're cruisin' at top speed. They feel so much better in a carve than the Flites. At one point, I was sure my foot was going to pull the binding off the board.

If you're looking for light because you want a light jib setup, cool. But if you want to get some speed and carve, put some weight on the board. The Forces aren't that heavy. I'm 5'3", 120, and a chick, and I can pop the board up with the Forces easily. If you can't move the board without it weighing a couple ounces, you're just not strong enough to be snowboarding. Buy for comfort, and then build some muscle to handle your gear.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You really don't want to know the weight of everything.
I don't? Do you work for Ride too? :laugh:

Companies and shops have an unspoken agreement to prevent that type of arms race that none want to take place in.
Antitrust violation.

In my opinion, refusing to provide customers with readily available, nonproprietary product information is terrible customer service. It doesn't matter what the customers want it for.

·
Registered
158 Posts
k2 evers are the lightest binding I have ever had. Doesn't say much since most of my bindings have been burton bindings. But my guess would be that they are for sure in the top 5 for lightest.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts