Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
First, for those that aren't familiar, the Burton Cartel is a freestyle binding whose major feature is Burton's Skyback, the highest highback in their lineup. This thing has a huge amount of adjustability. The Cartel also features Burton's SuperStrap ankle strap and Covertible Capstrap, which can be used as normal toe straps or around the front of your boot to give you extra control on tricks. The Capstrap was a major selling point for me as I spend about 60-70% of my time in the park.

THANKS
designer replica handbags
Wow, these spammers are getting good.

On topic, Burton C60s are effin light. It's like picking up air. I don't know the weight though, just the lightest I've demoed. The price and Burton bindings overall aren't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wow, these spammers are getting good.

On topic, Burton C60s are effin light. It's like picking up air. I don't know the weight though, just the lightest I've demoed. The price and Burton bindings overall aren't my cup of tea.
Yea really, selling fake ass bags for ridiculous amounts of money. OMG.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
im really diggin this yrs Cartel ESTs....i did a review about them. even though so far i only been on them once, i was practically impressed how soft and light they were. The only time that i realized i had them on was when i was strapping in at the summit:thumbsup:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The Flites are great...BUT! I had them out just before Christmas, and I was breaking them in, and such, and I noticed that they are good, solid bindings, but for my preferences, I didn't like them for carving and cruising. If you're jibbing around, they are perfect--which is why I put them on my smaller board. For my all-mountain stick, I like the Forces. Much more solid when you're cruisin' at top speed. They feel so much better in a carve than the Flites. At one point, I was sure my foot was going to pull the binding off the board.

If you're looking for light because you want a light jib setup, cool. But if you want to get some speed and carve, put some weight on the board. The Forces aren't that heavy. I'm 5'3", 120, and a chick, and I can pop the board up with the Forces easily. If you can't move the board without it weighing a couple ounces, you're just not strong enough to be snowboarding. Buy for comfort, and then build some muscle to handle your gear.
nice review. i'm gravitating towards the Unions because they usually get positive remarks from people who own them...

and yes, i'm looking something for a jibbing setup so it looks like it might be the Flites.

as a side point, i think it is possible with today's technology to avoid compromising/sacrificing when buying equipment. for example, you can find a stiff and light board (custom x) or, a stiff and light binding (burton C60's), etc.

and in response to everyone who's saying one shouldn't look at how much equipment weighs i say bollocks. we the riders/consumers are effectively the ones who are at least partially responsible for how equipment develops by giving the manufacturers feedback - i agree comfort is number one, safety/security is also right up there, durability and for me also weight! no reason why they shouldn't be developing products that tick ALL the boxes. i mean, we had a man on the moon almost 50 years ago. technology is a crazy beast nowadays. i'm pretty sure in another fifty years your grandkids will be snowboarding out there in space...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was referring to their method of spamming lol. This dude actually talked about snowboard related things. Almost on topic too. Got the binding part right, but didn't say anything about weight haha.
Yea, I noticed that too, didn't quite word it right. My "Yea really" was meant as, yea really what a nice spam method. I wonder if its a bot that takes some text from google searches?

Weights: (Use your moms/wifes kitchen scale, get "the look" from her for extra points!)

Rome Targas L/XL with all hardware incuding screws: 1116 grams (2.46 lbs) / 1085 without the crews and washers

Burton Cartel in M from 05, with gel strap: 966 (2.12 lbs) grams with all hardware.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I was referring to their method of spamming lol. This dude actually talked about snowboard related things. Almost on topic too. Got the binding part right, but didn't say anything about weight haha.
hahaha i LOL at that spammer's post. i bet he copied and pasted that from a burton forum. I was reading along and trying to figure what he was trying to say and then i see the link. LMAO

·
Registered
288 Posts
hahaha i LOL at that spammer's post. i bet he copied and pasted that from a burton forum. I was reading along and trying to figure what he was trying to say and then i see the link. LMAO
He copied the post from here: Burton Cartel Bindings

I can't believe that I actually searched that out...I need to get back to work.

OP, Take your scale into your local shop and weight everything. I would bet that Flites, Contrabands, C60s, and Auto Evers will be some of the lightest that you come across. Pretty different styles of bindings though...

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Are you being sarcastic :) I'm in the market for a light binding. I'm also curious why weight is not a listed metric for hardgoods. I find it an important factor important when choosing my stuff...
I am being serious. I don't get why people care this much about a bindings weight. A heavier binding is only noticeably heavier when its dangling on the lift. Other than that it makes no noticable performance difference. You will shed more weight if you poop before you ride than if you drop and extra $200 on "light" bindings. Yes there are heavy bindings you might want to stay away from, but the majority of the market is just fine.

"Light" bindings are one of two things, expensive or weak. Just get something that matches your riding style and you're good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am being serious. I don't get why people care this much about a bindings weight. A heavier binding is only noticeably heavier when its dangling on the lift. Other than that it makes no noticable performance difference. You will shed more weight if you poop before you ride than if you drop and extra $200 on "light" bindings. Yes there are heavy bindings you might want to stay away from, but the majority of the market is just fine.

"Light" bindings are one of two things, expensive or weak. Just get something that matches your riding style and you're good.
I agree with you however there are people who prefer lighter bindings.
While you may want performance gain, some people want comfort.
Different people want different things

Lighter bindings:
1. Allows more comfort on the lift.
2. Easier to carry.

You are spending at least 200 dollars; you should have a choice.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Because I already poop before I ride and still wanna shed more weight.
Because one might not always have the bowel control to time it such.
Because all the little extra weight does add up for someone "unstrong".
Because we want to spend an extra $200 on a pair of light bindings.
Because I may be fat and I am heavy enough as it is.
Because some people actually do feel the minute weight differences.
Because I dont like it noticeably heavier when dangling on a lift.
Because I respect questions most times tho I dont "get" them.
Because comfortable gets uncomfortable when its too heavy.
Because I genuinely believe it makes me a little better.
Really.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have Union Flites and they are damn light. There is a reason the name stands for "Fucking Lite". So far I have nothing but good things to say about my Flites. They're super comfortable, super light, and have taken me everywhere I have asked them too. I can see why some people might get turned off of them since they are technically a "soft" binding, but I find that the softness does not bother me, even when I'm railing a turn down a groomer. I'm sure there are other bindings that are about the same weight, but I like my Flites.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I agree with you however there are people who prefer lighter bindings.
While you may want performance gain, some people want comfort.
Different people want different things

Lighter bindings:
1. Allows more comfort on the lift.
2. Easier to carry.

You are spending at least 200 dollars; you should have a choice.
yeah exactly. pay an extra $200 to feel more comfortable on a 10 minute lift ride, and have it weigh couple ounces less so it's easier to carry when walking from the parking lot.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, since this argument seems to be cooking up a bit, let me add that weight IS an important factor for me as well.

Else, I would ride my old board from 1996 and be happy. I haven't weighed them, but carrying it AND riding it I can notice a real difference in the weight. The Lib Tech is so much more agile and lively underfoot. Why is this? Of course a part is due to technology advances like rocker and "correct sandwich" keeping for low spin weight because nose and tail are lighter.

I see it like this: Its not the total weight of the setup and my fat ass, but the weight of everything EXCEPT my fat ass. Using the age old car analogy, its the difference between the tire and rim of steel, and the aluminum rim. The aluminum will steer quicker, suspend and rebound quicker and will thus follow every nook and cranny in the road. Total unsprung mass/weight is the key word here. Wiki article unsprung mass click.

Boots, bindings and the board is the riders rim and tire, and his legs are the suspension. The lighter the setup is, the faster it can move up and down with easy, be turned quicker and will ultimately follow the terrain better.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Unless your fecal matter resides in your feet, taking a shit before you ride does nothing to lighten your gear. Blowing out your colon does nothing to change the weight of your gear. The day I didn't take a shit before I rode... magically my gear felt exactly the same.

I haven't found any "lighter" bindings that you need to spend an extra 200 on to get. Most cost exactly the same as other bindings.

Some people like lightweight shit.... maybe they are smaller frame guys? Who really cares? If people want lighter gear they should be able to ask the question without people being douches about it. I rode the same "light" bindings for four years without any problems. Not expensive or weak. I prefer to shed as much weight as possible. I'm not a big guy and I do a ton of hiking. That extra two pounds I can shed off my gear actually does make a difference after hours of hiking.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
FLUX:

"Look out for our DMCC-Light freestyle binding for the 2011-2012 season.
It is using a newly designed base and highback that make the binding 35% lighter.
It also incorporates titanium hardware.
It is freestyle oriented and ready for the park."

K2:

"Our lightest bindings are the Auto Evers. They are super light and fast to get in and out of.
My boot of choice is the Maysis they are nice and light, super comfortable, and have the Boa lacing system.
I do not have the weights of our product.
It is best to visit your dealer and pick them up to see how light they are."

BURTON:

"You did not miss it, we just do not publish the weight of our products online. I can tell you though that the C60’s are the lightest weight binding we make and the SLX boots are the lightest boots we produce."

·
Registered
134 Posts
Unless your fecal matter resides in your feet, taking a shit before you ride does nothing to lighten your gear. Blowing out your colon does nothing to change the weight of your gear. The day I didn't take a shit before I rode... magically my gear felt exactly the same.

I haven't found any "lighter" bindings that you need to spend an extra 200 on to get. Most cost exactly the same as other bindings.

Some people like lightweight shit.... maybe they are smaller frame guys? Who really cares? If people want lighter gear they should be able to ask the question without people being douches about it. I rode the same "light" bindings for four years without any problems. Not expensive or weak. I prefer to shed as much weight as possible. I'm not a big guy and I do a ton of hiking. That extra two pounds I can shed off my gear actually does make a difference after hours of hiking.
:thumbsup: thats all.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts