Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a half-dozen different snowboarding jackets and each one has a somewhat different design. None of them are just right, although the Burton jackets come close. Some of my complaints and wishes are:

• Have a pass pocket on the left sleeve. The Burton jackets have it high up above the bicep, which is good but not great. My DC jacket has it on the forearm, so I can wave it at the sensor. That's perfect.
  • My Volcom jacket has a wallet/phone pocket on the left with the zipper just outside the main jacket zipper. My Burton jackets have something almost identical, except inside the main zipper, so I have to open the jacket to get at it.
  • The Burton jacket has a cloth loop inside the pocket so I can clip a lanyard.
  • Volcom jacket has small bungee loops in the side pockets so I can clip things to them. Burton goes one better with a built-in clip on the bungee. DC just has a bungee with no loop or anything.
  • DC jacket can't be unzipped from the bottom up.

What bugs you or thrills you about your various items? Maybe if we get a good enough set of descriptions going here, we can just point any survey kiddies at this thread.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My wish lists for the perfect Jacket are:

1. Pass Pocket on the lower left sleeve.
2. Phone pocket on the upper left chest, outside. I'm right handed, do both sides and keep the lefties happy as well
3. Inside pocket on the upper left chest has a goggle wipe micro cloth on an elastic lanyard. I have a Karbon jacket that has this plus a sunglasses sleeve also on an elastic lanyard in the same pocket. Awesome.
4. Elastic lanyard in one or both of the side pockets to clip car keys / ski key to. Long enough to use the keys without unclipping so you can't drop them in the snow.
5. Main Jacket zipper must zip from both ends.
6. I have an OR jacket that has a built in full hood mask. It lives in the inside back of the jacket. Zipper is as the base of your neck. You unzip, reach in, pull out the mask, pull it over your head and away you go. Awesome feature to have. It is not a heavy duty mask, just a nice weight that works well under a helmet.
7. I want a longer cut in the back of the jacket. I love jackets with a longer cut in the back that keeps your lower back covered as you are riding lifts. Most Norrona Jackets are cut like this, but who can afford them! ( I scored one off Geartrade before Backcountry changed their return policy. ) It is an amazing jacket, but even it lacks all that is on my wish list.
8. Other various pockets, zipped and elastic inside the jacket. No such thing as too many.
9. Make sure the hood can be adjusted to pull it back to improve your vision. Many can't. Fine on a lift, but lousy for visibility when riding.
10. Goretex

·
Registered
362 Posts
Slim, long and thin (insulation).
Snug collar with detachable hood.
Pit zips.
Not too fussy about pockets so long as enough and not hung up about fabric technology.

Current jacket is Columbia Powder Keg (synthetic insulation).

·
884 Posts
My wish lists for the perfect Jacket are:

1. Pass Pocket on the lower left sleeve.
2. Phone pocket on the upper left chest, outside. I'm right handed, do both sides and keep the lefties happy as well
3. Inside pocket on the upper left chest has a google wipe micro cloth on an elastic lanyard. I have a Karbon jacket that has this plus a sunglasses sleeve also on an elastic lanyard in the same pocket. Awesome.
4. Elastic lanyard in one or both of the side pockets to clip car keys / ski key to. Long enough to use the keys without unclipping so you can't drop them in the snow.
5. Main Jacket zipper must zip from both ends.
6. I have an OR jacket that has a built in full hood mask. It lives in the inside back of the jacket. Zipper is as the base of your neck. You unzip, reach in, pull out the mask, pull it over your head and away you go. Awesome feature to have. It is not a heavy duty mask, just a nice weight that works well under a helmet.
7. I want a longer cut in the back of the jacket. I love jackets with a longer cut in the back that keeps your lower back covered as you are riding lifts. Most Norrona Jackets are cut like this, but who can afford them! ( I scored one off Geartrade before Backcountry changed their return policy. ) It is an amazing jacket, but even it lacks all that is on my wish list.
8. Other various pockets, zipped and elastic inside the jacket. No such thing as too many.
9. Make sure the hood can be adjusted to pull it back to improve your vision. Many can't. Fine on a lift, but lousy for visibility when riding.
10. Goretex
I've got an Oakley Jacket which is my fav atm and has a lot of these traits, non-goretex though, that said I've been looking for an Easter special for a new one. The Oakley is longer in the back but it's a little tight low restricting some movement. I'd like to try a Volcom and I'd like to try an anorak/hoodie style like the Brighton Pullover possibly slightly larger for some movement. The only thing I worry is the hassle of removing it and opening it up at times. Anyone have one of these or can comment.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I got a Libtech jacket and it's about perfect. Here's some of my important features:
1. High yet loose enough collar, with comfy material for your face, and breath tech for air to vent. Bonus for the whistle on the zipper pull.
2. On the baggier side, nice for dad bods with layers.
3. 20/20K, taped seams and all that, basically water and wind proof.
3. Wrist gaiters, rubber tipped cuffs and being the perfect size for gloves means I have never gotten snow in my wrist area.
4. Soft warm material in the pockets.
5. Hood that can fit a helmet and never blocks the side views.
6. Left arm pass pocket.

What I would add
A breast pocket on the inside of the main zipper flap to make a warm and easily accessible phone pocket.
Add a loop on an elestic inside the pass pocket to hang non rfid passes.
Pit zips low down so you could get your arms inside to light up a joint on the chair in high winds.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Big enough pockets in clever position are a must. But I guess I live in a different world about this...:p

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Long sleeves and length without being baggy.

No hood or removable hood.

I have an Armada shell jacket which is nearly perfect except the hood is flappy and uncomfortable when I'm going fast.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've got an older Airblaster jacket that is almost perfect.

1. Wrist gaiters, possibly #1 on the list of importance for me.
2. Cuffs still big enough to fit over cuffs of glove.
3. Media pocket under main zipper flap
4. Huge chest pocket
5. Sleeves are nice and long

What I'd change
1. Bigger hood and wider/higher neck for my bucket head
2. Soft/fleecy liner in chin/neck area like my Volcom jacket.
3. Forearm pass pocket
4. Longer (probably would be fine for non-giants though)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I've got an Oakley Jacket which is my fav atm and has a lot of these traits, non-goretex though, that said I've been looking for an Easter special for a new one. The Oakley is longer in the back but it's a little tight low restricting some movement. I'd like to try a Volcom and I'd like to try an anorak/hoodie style like the Brighton Pullover possibly slightly larger for some movement. The only thing I worry is the hassle of removing it and opening it up at times. Anyone have one of these or can comment.

I like using anorak jackets. I like the kangaroo pocket, and I appreciate the lack of a lower zipper. Those are always opening up on me. Side zippers make getting into and out of the jackets pretty easy while offering a ton of venting.

+1 on wrist gaitors!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Anyone remember how high end jackets in the 90's always had those storm flaps as part of the hood. I'd bring those back, enough face covering to tuck away your nose when done up,or fully open flappin in the wind for easy breathing.

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
  • Being Goofy it's essential to have a YKK central zip rather than flap which tends to always open from velcro right to left and consequently catch wind when charging hard.
  • Quality construction, cut and fit.
  • Being tall, 192cm, need plenty of length over waist and arms.
  • Riding in Australia with a mountain temperature generally hovering +/- 0C (32F) you need max' waterproofing ie 2L/3L GORE-TEX® /30K+.
  • Prefer meshed vents.
  • Always ride with a backpack so front pockets are not a concern.
  • Love Cohaesive® hood stoppers.
  • Not a fan of multiple layering so having a jacket with the insulative qualities suited to the location I'm riding.
  • Colour combo's (pants/jacket) need to be not to blingy but still look super sweet on point.
  • Pass holder

This basically means looking at outer wear in the upper price points of most brands.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I know this sounds crazy, but bought a Mammut after years of buying snowboard brands, or snowboard neutral like an Orage or Karbon.

The Mammut is sick. Heard Mountain Hardwares are the same.

Bought plain black. Bring the flavor with the pants. And yes, Goretex is good

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
  • Being Goofy it's essential to have a YKK central zip rather than flap which tends to always open from velcro right to left and consequently catch wind when charging hard.
  • Quality construction, cut and fit.
  • Being tall, 192cm, need plenty of length over waist and arms.
  • Riding in Australia with a mountain temperature generally hovering +/- 0C (32F) you need max' waterproofing ie 2L/3L GORE-TEX /30K+.
  • Prefer meshed vents.
  • Always ride with a backpack so front pockets are not a concern.
  • Love Cohaesive hood stoppers.
  • Not a fan of multiple layering so having a jacket with the insulative qualities suited to the location I'm riding.
  • Colour combo's (pants/jacket) need to be not to blingy but still look super sweet on point.
  • Pass holder

This basically means looking at outer wear in the upper price points of most brands.
Interesting, I've never notice the zipper cover flap flapping. I must need to ride faster!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
I really like my Arc'teryx Rush jacket. Best jacket I've ever owned, hands down. Good athletic but not too trim fit, good length, not too crunchy (especially for a 3L shell), unbelievable cut and mobility. It's pure 3L Goretex Pro, but moves with me better than some stretch outwear I own. The hood is by far the best hood I've ever used of any snow jacket. Arc'teryx stuff is expensive, but their construction is damned impressive. Blows away my AK gear in build quality (and the AK stuff is the best I've found from any snowboard company).

Pass pocket is upper arm, I personally prefer that to lower arm but I've had both and don't have a super strong opinion way way or the other. Long as I can get it away from my torso and away from my phone / wallet / etc.

Few minor complaints:
  • The stuff pockets on the inside are a little small. Wish they were bigger so I could easily toss my gloves in there.
  • No two-way zipper. I don't care about this vast majority of the time, but a two-way zipper for venting and additional range of motion while hiking or touring would be fantastic.
  • Super esoteric, but I wish it had a strap up on the right shoulder for clipping my radio. I originally got a pair of walky talkies for splitboarding, and they're super easy to use when clipped to sternum or shoulder straps of a touring pack. But I've taken to using radios riding inbounds and only wear a pack inbounds on big pow days. The radios make coordination easier, even being able to say "hey we're coming up on a flat, keep your speed" without having to stop and yell is fantastic.
    • That said, adding such a strap should be like a $20-30 job for a competent technical fabric tailor, I've just been lazy about it.
Less about this jacket, but more outerwear generally: I wish more companies would make more colorful outwear. Especially the ice axe-y companies. This is partially for a bit of panache, but also just for ease of identification and safety. I wear a bright blue jacket and a neon green helmet, so I'm easy to spot in a crowd of brown and navy and grey and black. But more than that, people can see me coming out of their periphery more easily. Plus I contrast more heavily with the snow, so riding buddies can more easily spot me in white out conditions or heavy trees, or can more easily keep eyes on me if I'm caught in a slide in the backcountry (knock on wood).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Couldn't tell you because I'm a cheap ass on soft goods and wind up with DC shit off Amazon with zippers that bust at the worst times. Literally. More than once. I had to ask the ticket lady to borrow scissors to slash my pocket open to get my wallet out because I got to the front of the line and it fully stuck shut.

So not DC.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a Salomon Jacket that's pretty close to perfect for me.
  • Nice cut, not too long nor too baggy, looks great, "snowboarder-like" without making me look like a 16 y.o.
  • Insulated (10/10k) but not too much (not gore-tex but it's always super cold here so it's never wet except on the last 2-3 week-ends of the winter/spring).
  • Pass pocket lower forearm (I can't use it, my home mountain doesn't use these kinds of passes but if it did it'd be great)
  • Enough pockets
  • Detacheable hood (but I keep it on anyways even though I don't use it... it's never in the way)
  • Wrist gaiters
  • Sleeves wide enough for gloves/mitts cuffs
  • Pit zips
  • Lanyard with hook for my keys in a pocket.
  • Great uniform (although textured) color. I like simple-looking stuff, no fancy designs for me.

Cons:
  • See #3: I could use a real loop for my non-magnetic/electronic season pass. I get that most of the world as moved on from those but having to hook it on a pocket zip is kind of annoying.
  • Phone pocket isn't great, my phone got out once when I took the jacket out to work on a jump with other guys
  • Could use a bit more space around the neck

1 - 20 of 57 Posts