21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
For me these are the must:
1. Waist gaiter.
2. Wrist gaiters.
3. Chest pockets with pass holder.
4. Easily accessible media/phone pocket.
5. Durable material.
6. Vents of course.
7. Good fit so I can bend down and grab my board in the air.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One other thing I forgot to mention: The Burton jacket has goggle pockets on both sides, and they're top-loading instead of front-loading, which is way more convenient.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Less about this jacket, but more outerwear generally: I wish more companies would make more colorful outwear. Especially the ice axe-y companies. This is partially for a bit of panache, but also just for ease of identification and safety. I wear a bright blue jacket and a neon green helmet, so I'm easy to spot in a crowd of brown and navy and grey and black. But more than that, people can see me coming out of their periphery more easily. Plus I contrast more heavily with the snow, so riding buddies can more easily spot me in white out conditions or heavy trees, or can more easily keep eyes on me if I'm caught in a slide in the backcountry (knock on wood).
I just bought the brightest jacket I could find this season (that wasn't red). It's a mint green that's almost pastel. I was sad to see all the really bright day glow colors are out of fashion now. I also like to be as bright as possible so I'm annoyingly visible. I hope it helps reduce the threat of a collision, but seems to help my friends stay with me in the woods at the very least.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Interesting to see wrist gaiters show up on peoples lists. Guess it's a love or hate kinda thing. I'm not a fan.

I've been using the Burton Cyclic/Freebird Bib combo for a while, and I can't imagine a better kit for myself. Some of the highlights:

- Inside chest pocket large enough to hold a spare lens (which contour perfectly around my side/ribs).
- Large diameter cuffs with dead simple velcro adjustment.
- The whole neck/hood integration is awesome and really creates full face/neck/head protection. I use the hood a ton (always surprised that I don't see more people utilizing the hood, especially on stormy days!).
- Pit venting.

Other than that, I really don't need much. I really only use the one chest pocket, anything else (phone/keys/cliff bar) goes in the Bib chest pockets.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Don't know why anyone would want a detachable hood. Just another zip to break. Does anyone take them off?
I do.

-Warm days
-Rainy days (just collects more rain)
-Cold days when I layer a hooded shell over the top

Huh. Writing that out really makes it seem I should just buy a jacket without a hood. :LOL:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just bought the brightest jacket I could find this season (that wasn't red). It's a mint green that's almost pastel. I was sad to see all the really bright day glow colors are out of fashion now. I also like to be as bright as possible so I'm annoyingly visible. I hope it helps reduce the threat of a collision, but seems to help my friends stay with me in the woods at the very least.
Yep, all of that. I have my specific feature must-have list, plus outerwear needs to fit, PLUS I would like it to be as annoyingly bright as possible for all the reasons you cited. Annoyingly often (and that's even if I was willing to pay full price, which I'm generally not for outerwear).

I'm really intrigued by TREW and may go with them the next go-around. Reasonably priced, bright colorways, freeride-focused... lot to like there.

Interesting to see wrist gaiters show up on peoples lists. Guess it's a love or hate kinda thing. I'm not a fan.
+1. I can't regulate temperature / ventilation as easily and if the sleeve length isn't perfect, the gaiters pull on my hands with any kind of tension on the sleeves.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I do.

-Warm days
-Rainy days (just collects more rain)
-Cold days when I layer a hooded shell over the top

Huh. Writing that out really makes it seem I should just buy a jacket without a hood. :LOL:
Aside from maybe the warm days, wouldn't the other reasons be exactly why you would wear the hood?

And I'm not sure I understand; you wear an hooded jacket over another hooded jacket?

·
Registered
317 Posts
+1. I can't regulate temperature / ventilation as easily and if the sleeve length isn't perfect, the gaiters pull on my hands with any kind of tension on the sleeves.
The wrist gaiters in my Salomon jacket don’t hook or loop around my thumb, they’re just a bit tight (really just a bit, no problems with circulation) around the wrist. Imho, it’s a good compromise, protection while no tension or discomfort.

·
884 Posts
This may be hard to achieve???
My daughter is still rocking her el'cheapo Aldi special from a few years ago. In fact I was hoping to grab her new outerwear on the Easter sales but she went and tried it all on and said nope, all good still fits.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
391 Posts
Check out some of the Sessions Jackets. Particularly the Scout. They come close to being just right.

Edit: scratch that. I have an older scout with outside chest pocket that has an inside window. It's great. However new scout doesn't seem to have chest pocket.

PS: I just ended up buying yellow jacket with matching pants plus gloves... Oops! The gloves are a "limeade" color. They look yellow to me. But I'm colorblind can someone confirm if they are yellow or some sort of green?

·
Registered
177 Posts
My number one problem is finding a jacket with the right hood/collar combo. I want a tall collar that when fully zipped up covers my face, without wearing a helmet.

I have a Volcom TD2 (predecessor to the Guch) that I got very cheap second hand. Its a medium and I could really use a large but there is a bit of stretch so I can just about get away with it. The fit is ok (a bit tight around the shouders) but Volcom jackets have a huge opening in the hood. Like comically large, so you need to cinch in all the cords to get something approaching a close fit and end up with large amounts of fabric gathered around your face, catching the wind. Otherwise it has pretty much all the pockets I like in the right places. I've tried on Arc'teryx and Norrøna in shops and they have the hood design right, Patagonia pretty much too. Big enough for a helmet but can go full ninja with just your eyes peeking out. Basically the companies that also make stuff for mountaineering know what's up with weather protection. They're just really expensive and I'm still not sure about the skier vibe I get off them. Should probably try to pick up some used. I have Patagonia Untracked pants that I bought used on ebay and they are amazing.

I got a Quiksilver Mamatus jacket in a summer sale a few years ago. Ultralight 3L gore tex. Well designed with everything I need and nothing I don't. BUT its so thin that it is not fully wind or waterproof. Riding on a stormy pow day it was wet inside on the second chairlift ride of the day. Probably great for splitboarding in good weather and I used it for summer riding and it was fine.

I bought an AK Cyclic from 2021, they've changed the fit and hood design from previous years. Even when cinched all the way in, there's a big loose part from ear to ear under your chin which collects rain, snow, cold wind, etc. I know I'm particularly sensitive to these details but I sometimes wonder how jackets pass product testing without anyone noticing things like that. Selling that one on ebay.

I have my eye on the Airblaster Beast 3L jacket as the hood doesn't look like a windy cave for non helmet wearers and I like the style of it. Think I read somewhere that their 3L fabric is actually gore tex offcuts anyway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
PS: I just ended up buying yellow jacket with matching pants plus gloves... Oops! The gloves are a "limeade" color. They look yellow to me. But I'm colorblind can someone confirm if they are yellow or some sort of green?
They look yellow to me as well. But pictures on a website leave a lot of room for guessing even if you are not colorblind.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts