Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Aside from maybe the warm days, wouldn't the other reasons be exactly why you would wear the hood?

And I'm not sure I understand; you wear an hooded jacket over another hooded jacket?
No, I take the hood off, remember?

Rainy days, I'm getting wet anyways. Either I'm too fat or riding too hard, but I can't keep a hood on the entire day. Ain't happening. Once I take the hood off it just pools up, so the minute I put it back on rain goes down my back. Yeah yeah yeah "Well roll it up and snap it closed behind your back while on the chair with gloves on" Fuck that. It's only rain. Don't need a hood.

Super cold, I layer my North Face shell over a mid weight jacket. Blah blah blah reasons.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My perfect jacket would be a reversible Volcom Guide jacket with dayglo rescue color inside. It's already missing the hand pockets so I think it's doable. Probably going to end up heavier than the regular three layer material but it's so light as is. But I shudder to think how much $$$ Volcom would ask for it.

More realistic would be if they found a way to include a thin but functional bib vest inside the jacket in dayglo rescue colors. This would be similar in concept to how Volcom includes a balaclava tucked into the hood.

Straying from the jacket a bit, I just saw Travis' Gear Talk from the Natural Selection series and I love the bib straps on his.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I know this sounds crazy, but bought a Mammut after years of buying snowboard brands, or snowboard neutral like an Orage or Karbon.

The Mammut is sick. Heard Mountain Hardwares are the same.

Bought plain black. Bring the flavor with the pants. And yes, Goretex is good
The Mammut I bought is called Stoney Thermo. Has the pass pocket, light insulation, helmet hood that’s removable, removable powder skirt, collar that zips around face, two chest pockets.

Normally $450, they are around $300 now, and my guess is will be steep discounts before Memorial Day because there is stock out there.

If you want just a shell, they make one without the insulation.

Thing is really damn light. Lightest insulated jacket I’ve owned

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Check out some of the Sessions Jackets. Particularly the Scout. They come close to being just right.

Edit: scratch that. I have an older scout with outside chest pocket that has an inside window. It's great. However new scout doesn't seem to have chest pocket.

PS: I just ended up buying yellow jacket with matching pants plus gloves... Oops! The gloves are a "limeade" color. They look yellow to me. But I'm colorblind can someone confirm if they are yellow or some sort of green?

View attachment 158090
I love the visibility! You're going to look like mountain safety at a few resorts around here. Keystone uses the yellow jackets for sure. Never seen them in yellow pants though. Maybe it'll let you get away with more shenanigans. Cool threads- now i can find you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I buy Patagonia everything. If anything ever goes wrong they hook you up big time. I have pants with 100 days on them that look new. Also they are a good company

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
391 Posts
They look yellow to me as well. But pictures on a website leave a lot of room for guessing even if you are not colorblind.
Yes totally! Thank you!!! I feel better now.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
391 Posts
I love the visibility! You're going to look like mountain safety at a few resorts around here. Keystone uses the yellow jackets for sure. Never seen them in yellow pants though. Maybe it'll let you get away with more shenanigans. Cool threads- now i can find you!
I was avoiding Red for that reason! I have an old Sessions hoodie I used to wear that was red and black freddy krueger sweater style. I love that thing. Wish I could get a full on jacket like that as it's easy to spot the red and the pattern and not mistake it for staff on the mountain.

Oh well. I'm still excited. I really like how black and yellow look together. Have a motorcycle helmet like that as well for high viz.

I maybe getting the summit county pass coming season! We should be able to spot each other! Still up in the air. Looking for a deal on iKon right now.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I buy Patagonia everything. If anything ever goes wrong they hook you up big time. I have pants with 100 days on them that look new. Also they are a good company
All the Patagucci stuff I have (not much) is awesome. Almost bought a jacket they were blowing out here, but got greedy hoping the price would drop even more, and someone else bought it. Still kicking myself!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I walked into the P Gucc store with a blown seam and walked out with a brand new coat off the rack, no fuss no paperwork, just “go ahead and see if there’s anything you like”

·
Registered
535 Posts
The high end ice-axe companies (Patagonia and Arc'teryx) have FANTASTIC customer support. Burton is pretty good when it comes to AK, but those companies are next level. Burton charges for non-warranty repairs, Arc'teryx and Patagonia do it for free-- and Patagonia might do it on the spot if you're at one of their retail locations. Or replace the garment entirely. That alone is worth the price premium IMO-- besides which, their garments (especially Arc'teryx) are just better built. Turning my Arc'teryx Rush and Burton Freebird Bibs inside-out and looking at the seams is instructive. Arc's seams are tighter, more minimalist, more cleanly taped with lighter and narrower tape. I've had a few tape failures with my older Freebird bibs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Burton GORE-TEX Radial Shell Jacket. I am 5 10 and 165 with an athletic build, got an xl and I wear a hoodie underneath. This is a great jacket. I also have a Marmot Spire, which I had sent back to Marmot due to issues with the outer lining, they sent me a new one as it has a lifetime guarantee. That is also a great jacket, it is a bit more storm proof then the Burton, but I like the Burton features a bit more, as it is built specifically for riding.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm happy with my 686 GLCR Gore-Tex Jacket, enough deep pockets, hand gaiters, pass pocket at chest and pass/keys pocket on left sleeve. I have a nephew who has the newer one with the built-in reservoir and he's stoked on that. Their matching pants have "targeted" insulation panels which might be a bit narrow IMO. I miss my old Foursquare pants (Burton bought them and killed them off), but those things were heavy. I always size up from M so my bulky Demon protective gear fits comfortably underneath.

Do you guys really put your phones (I always carry two) in your shell?? Man, I'd never do that unless they were in some kind of protective pouch, too close to the elements and the idiots I ride around. I always keep them in an inner layer (fleece or vest) closer to the body for (battery) warmth.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My perfect jacket would be a reversible Volcom Guide jacket with dayglo rescue color inside. It's already missing the hand pockets so I think it's doable. Probably going to end up heavier than the regular three layer material but it's so light as is. But I shudder to think how much $$$ Volcom would ask for it.

More realistic would be if they found a way to include a thin but functional bib vest inside the jacket in dayglo rescue colors. This would be similar in concept to how Volcom includes a balaclava tucked into the hood.

Straying from the jacket a bit, I just saw Travis' Gear Talk from the Natural Selection series and I love the bib straps on his.
This is Quiksilvers top of the line 3L highline pro bibs. Pretty pricey $$$$$$

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here is the high viz shredding get up. Very yellow indeed. The jacket has a hood that tucks away. And a chest phone pocket with a clear plastic window.

Plus a soft shell hoodie for warmer days.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I can't see very well if the gloves really match rest of outfit, @Jack87
They are yellow but a slightly different tint as expected being a different brand. It's a bit more pale yellow than the bright yellow from the Sessions gear.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts