Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What kind of socks do you wear while snowboarding?

60K views 64 replies 50 participants last post by  Nsane1 
#1 ·
What kind of socks do you wear while snowboarding?

I went snowboarding for the first time a few weeks ago and I just wore Nike ankle socks.

After walking in the boots a bit the boot and liner felt a liitle abrasive against my Achilles.

I'm not sure if this has to do with the fact that the DC Park uses a half boot liner or if it's just expected that you should wear over the calf socks with snowboots.

I guess I thought that the liner is cushy so it is basically like a sock but I found it to be a tad abrasive against the back of my ankles and calves after a couple hours of wear. Is this to be expected?

#5 ·
You should really wear snowboarding socks, or at least socks that come up past the top of the boot. I used to ride with just high up cotton athletic socks, then i switched to snowboarding socks and trust me they are much more comfortable.

One of the reasons why the boot may feel abrasive when you are wearing ankle socks is because that boot has a dirrectional fabric in the heel pocket that makes it easy for you to move your heel down, but moving your heel up is like petting a dog from the middle of it's back to it's head (weird analogy but you should get the point), it helps to give you better heel hold.

#7 ·
i've got thin merino wool socks for the warmer days when moisture wicking is more important and i've got burton party socks for cooler days. the party socks don't really have any technology to them but they are by far the most comfortable socks i've ever worn and they are super toasty.

#11 ·
I wear ankle socks....

I'm not one to really get upset with the feeling inside of my boot. Same thing with my stance, etc..

I kinda just go with the flow. Ankle socks have never been a problem for me, although I wouldn't be opposed to using an actual snowboarding sock (full length).

With that said, I sometimes have trouble with my "long johns" where they are in my boot and kind of bunch up inside. It isn't really too big of a problem, but at the end of the day it feels real nice to take my boots off.

#12 ·
Wearing cotton socks is a really bad idea whether or not it's cold/warm. The reason is that they do nothing in terms of wicking your sweat away. Maybe some of you have feet that just won't sweat, but mine do and cotton socks is horrible for that.

I own Several Burton, Under Armor, and SmartWool socks. I have some lower end brands as well.

Hands down, the SmartWool socks are the best. I use their Medium Cushion PhD snowboard socks. I find myself using these all the time actually. My other socks are getting neglected now.

Burton socks tend to be heavily cushioned so maybe those for colder days. Under Armor is really good too. I'd use UA before my Burton ones.

#15 ·
For a while now I have just been wearing smartwool light weight hiking socks and they seem to fit the bill. Last time out I wore some burton snowboard socks and I honestly didnt like them. They were a little thicker and provided some cushioning which is nice but they didnt breath well at all. My feet sweat in them and then, as expected, got really cold. So I will probably go back to the smartwool hikers. I may give the burtons one more try but I dunno.

#17 ·
I have to say that I'm amazed anyone would wear ankle socks for a cold-weather activity. My son does that sometimes (though never for snowboarding), and it's mystifying. Just goes to show how seemingly functional choices are often dictated by fashion. Not so many years ago, men would never wear ankle socks for anything. Ever.

Anyway, I recommend ordinary snowboarding sock -- should go over the calf to just below the knee. They protect your lower leg and help keep it warm as well. Medium weight seems best to me. I usually go with Burton because their socks are easy to find, but other brands are fine too.

#18 ·
I've got a mix of Burton (easy to find) and Salomon snowboarding socks. I prefer my Salomons as they seem more durable (Burtons are geting a bit worn from rubbing against the liner fabric), and have a bit more structure and padding in all of the right places for where a boot fits.

Avoid cotton socks, get something wool, or one of the many wool blend sport socks that are available.

#22 ·
+1 for Smartwool phd medium cushion snowboarding socks. They are super comfy, warm and they are usually up to my knee, so no problems with boots. In the past I struggled with cotton being cold, wet, and simply no comfort. I would probably never move away from smartwool.

#24 · (Edited)
I also wear cotton socks most of the time, and my feet do sweat but I don't ever have problems with cold or feeling too wet down there. I do have a pair of thick cotton/wool socks but they make my feet too hot and sweat more. Straight up wool makes them feel all clammy. I do have a pair of thin HH wicking socks but I hate the feeling of two socks on my foot, and they feel like thin dress socks on their own, kind of too thin for my liking.

But ankle socks? Guess I'm from the generation where if you dident want your socks pulled up as high as they can go you simply pushed the tops down. I just never understood why people would want to wear ankle socks in the first place, going barefoot in shoes is gross and making it look like your barefoot when you got a little girls sock on is just weird to me.
But anyway yeah I like my socks pulled up past the liners of my boot regardless.

#31 ·
I've seen a couple of references in this thread to Smartwool phd medium sock.

I googled this sock and it looks like there is also a Smartwool phd light sock.

The last time I went snowboarding I wore very lightweight ankle socks and this was perfectly warm and comfortable.

All snowboard boots have thick liners so I don't really see why you would need thick socks to help keep your feet warm.

The main reason I'm looking for full length socks is to avoid the abrasion of the boot liners rubbing on the back of my lower legs.

So is there any reason to go with the smartwool phd medium sock over the smartwool phd light sock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.