Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Stats: Male, 9.5 boot, 5'11", 163 pounds, I like riding all mountain including some park, but mostly groomers.

I am currently riding a Never Summer Proto HDX (wide) 158. I have the "X" version (wide) because I originally thought I was an 11.5 boot. I recently got sized by a boot fitter and found out I am a 9.5 boot. Huge bummer because now I have a wide board that I do not need. Toe side turns are very hard due to being too wide. For these reasons, I need a new board.

I have settled on the GNU Metal Gnuru Asym Twin. The forum won't let me put a link in my post, but if you google search the name of the board I just wrote out, it will show up. It is orange and black in color.

As I said above, my Proto HDX I have now is 158 length. I really like this length a lot. I do not like boards that are very long, I find them cumbersome and hard to initiate turns fast, not to mention being hard to use in the park. I like the amount of board that is in front of me with the 158.

For this reason, would it be smart to get the Velvet Gnuru in 158 length? The reason I ask is if you go off of GNU's chart, using my weight, it looks like I belong on a 155. Would a 155 be the better choice?

Also, do I need the midwide version of either of those sizes? They offer a midwide version of the 155 and 158.

Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Hey all,

Stats: Male, 9.5 boot, 5'11", 163 pounds, I like riding all mountain including some park, but mostly groomers.

I am currently riding a Never Summer Proto HDX (wide) 158. I have the "X" version (wide) because I originally thought I was an 11.5 boot. I recently got sized by a boot fitter and found out I am a 9.5 boot. Huge bummer because now I have a wide board that I do not need. Toe side turns are very hard due to being too wide. For these reasons, I need a new board.

I have settled on the GNU Metal Gnuru Asym Twin. The forum won't let me put a link in my post, but if you google search the name of the board I just wrote out, it will show up. It is orange and black in color.

As I said above, my Proto HDX I have now is 158 length. I really like this length a lot. I do not like boards that are very long, I find them cumbersome and hard to initiate turns fast, not to mention being hard to use in the park. I like the amount of board that is in front of me with the 158.

For this reason, would it be smart to get the Velvet Gnuru in 158 length? The reason I ask is if you go off of GNU's chart, using my weight, it looks like I belong on a 155. Would a 155 be the better choice?

Also, do I need the midwide version of either of those sizes? They offer a midwide version of the 155 and 158.

Thanks so much for the help.
You could go either with the 155 or 158 Metal Guru (regular width, do not go midwide) but at your weight I would say 158 unless you are only riding park. Keep in mind that both have a shorter effective edge than the Proto so they will feel shorter(BTW overall board length has virtually no effect on turn initiation).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could go either with the 155 or 158 Metal Guru (regular width, do not go midwide) but at your weight I would say 158 unless you are only riding park. Keep in mind that both have a shorter effective edge than the Proto so they will feel shorter(BTW overall board length has virtually no effect on turn initiation).
Thanks for the reply! Can you explain why you think the 158 is the better choice? Looking at GNU's charts on their website, my weight is more centered on the 155 it looks like. In addition, while the Proto is great, I kind of miss the shorter length of my 156 Ride Agenda I used to ride.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Can you explain why you think the 158 is the better choice? Looking at GNU's charts on their website, my weight is more centered on the 155 it looks like. In addition, while the Proto is great, I kind of miss the shorter length of my 156 Ride Agenda I used to ride.
The top end of the Mervin weight charts are ridiculous. For comparison, I weigh ~10lbs less than you and for all-mountain riding am on ~157 Mervin decks. Only for pure park would I go shorter.

The reason that your Ride Agenda felt shorter is not overall length (nobody can tell a 2cm difference - and I mean nobody) but the fact that the effective edge is so short. The EE on the Metal Guru (both 155 and 158) is between the Agenda and the Proto.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The top end of the Mervin weight charts are ridiculous. For comparison, I weigh ~10lbs less than you and for all-mountain riding am on ~157 Mervin decks. Only for pure park would I go shorter.

The reason that your Ride Agenda felt shorter is not overall length (nobody can tell a 2cm difference - and I mean nobody) but the fact that the effective edge is so short. The EE on the Metal Guru (both 155 and 158) is between the Agenda and the Proto.
So I ended up ordering the 155! Even thought it is a mental thing, I feel more comfortable on a shorter board rather than a longer one. I will report back on my thoughts once I receive it this week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts