Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what tricks should a noob like me learn first?

i can go down black runs without falling i think im ready to learn some tricks

any suggestions with first tricks to learn?

i started snowboarding last year

thank you :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
what tricks should a noob like me learn first?

i can go down black runs without falling i think im ready to learn some tricks

any suggestions with first tricks to learn?

i started snowboarding last year

thank you :)
In the park or just riding down the mountain?

Switch. Riding switch looks cool and comes in very handy. You'll need at least a bit of switch to learn ollie 180's.

·
Registered
206 Posts
None. You should be solidly in control of your riding on blacks and double blacks before even thinking about tricks. If you can’t link deep hand dragging carves then you aren’t on the level.

Years from now you’ll be grateful because while your friends are floundering about not understanding why they suck you will truly rip.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
180 and switch 180, 360s too ofc, but taking off and landing 180s are more important.

No harm in learning tricks while learning to ride, need edgecontrol for a good takeoff on jumps, so that's important. Going down blacks has little to do with skill levels, met so many that think blacks equal expert riders.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
First and foremost Ollie. Busting an ollie off a roller never ever gets old. And it's the base that all airs will build upon.
Indy or Mute grab, just a simple grabbing the front edge between your legs with your trailing or leading hand not only feels pretty good, it gets your legs up which is a good position to get used to in the air.
180's try them frontside and backside. One way will naturally be easier but spend the time to learn both.
Shifty. Spin your board 90* and grab it. Land the same way you took off, or when you get more confidence you can make the call to land switch instead and you'll have also landed a 180 grab.
Butters. Just lean back as hard as you can without going over, kinda like doing a manual on a skateboard.
Also learn to carve proper and get used to riding your edge.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A lot of tricks are simply tests of your form and balance. Ridding a box is a test of your ability to go in a straight line without using your edges and maintaining balance. Small and medium jumps are a test of going in a straight line and keeping your balance. Presses are a test of keeping your body straight and balanced.

I have been practicing tail presses a lot lately, I find the balance needed to keep yourself going straight and pressed helps a lot with jumps and jibbing too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None. You should be solidly in control of your riding on blacks and double blacks before even thinking about tricks. If you can’t link deep hand dragging carves then you aren’t on the level.

Years from now you’ll be grateful because while your friends are floundering about not understanding why they suck you will truly rip.
how many years to you think i will be able to do 180s tripods flips jumps etc?

this is my second year riding

thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A lot of tricks are simply tests of your form and balance. Ridding a box is a test of your ability to go in a straight line without using your edges and maintaining balance. Small and medium jumps are a test of going in a straight line and keeping your balance. Presses are a test of keeping your body straight and balanced.

(y)I have been practicing tail presses a lot lately, I find the balance needed to keep yourself going straight and pressed helps a lot with jumps and jibbing too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts