Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a minute since I've posted, and I'll get right to it - I'm trying to kill myself and not getting close enough (Louder, faster, meaner desired).

I'm not displeased with my decks, but am looking for something more (if sports cars were $500 we'd have 12 of them so why not explore). I want to go faster, with long hard carves that bite like hell, I just don't know where to look next. Also going to try taking lessons to see what I can updgrade on myself.
  • 190lbs with gear
  • 5'8 top heavy build
  • Moved to LA and have been going to west coast glory resorts - typically staying in the alpine area.
My two current go to's are the endeavor clout and archetype 158's. Love the all-around do anything feel of the clout and the ripper nature of the archetype (My favorite board).
Have NOW Pilots and Ride Insano 9.5 boots. My NS T2 I retired (super fun with CRC but very squirrely at high speeds). I grabbed a 162 YES PYL last season thinking a longer stiffer freeride deck would get me closer to my goals and I honestly didn't love it. It feels like more work with no noticeable improvement on speed, carves, or edge hold to warrant it - in fact I find my other boards better in all categories with more life in them. I can't lay down as far as I'd like right now because my toe scrapes on all decks in the ideal weightless feeling spot on turns.

I'm looking at Now O-Drives and stiffer bindings, looking at wide decks, looking at longer stiffer boards... I have 0 time to demo decks because when my friends get on-snow it's a pure ride mission, and most demo sections I see feel limited with custom X and jones ultra for the freeriders.

Any suggestions I'm open to, just looking to get radder.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Demo that Custom X. I have the Archetype too and while it is a playful freeride deck that charges really well my Amplid UNW8 (similar to the Custom X) takes digging trenches at high speed to another level... Your legs gonna have the work out of their life but there is no bullshit in the love for stiff full camber boards.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Switch to AT boots like Atomic Backlands, Spark one binding pucks and Dyno DH plates along with something like the Amplid UNW8, donek, Diamond Blade and such. And with 190#, up it to a 164-68 range with width so as not to boot out. The stiffer AT boots will give you more leverage and response to handle a wider, stiffer and longer board.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Yes Optimistic or Korua Cafe Racer Plus assuming you also want to ride powder (like big fast open bowls) on it. Or see if you can find a Burton Dump Truck (also assuming you want to ride powder on it)...

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I'm 6'3", 195lbs. The easiest board I have to carve and go fast on is a Lib Doughboy Shredder, hands down. There's no replacement for displacement or length, IMO. It can be a missile but with 195cm to work with you can really lay down carves at low speeds too. So maybe check out something like this year's Litigator; similar idea but a much more reasonable 170cm length that won't necessarily span three moguls at a time.

The most fun I've had carving on a more normal board is on a Rome Blur 164W. Tied for second place are the Custom X 162, Yes Optimistic 157, and the Rome Mod 162 which unfortunately they don't make anymore. I'd probably put the Lib x Lost Rocket in there but the shape has changed a bit since I rode one a few years ago; but that board is fun as hell too. All are great boards that can easily send you to the ER.

·
Registered
227 Posts
More rad depends on where you want to take your riding. Pure carving? Or do you want to do rad things in places like trees and other critical parts of the mountain?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,135 Posts
I'm trying to kill myself and not getting close enough (Louder, faster, meaner desired).

• 190lbs with gear
My two current go to's are the
endeavor clout

and archetype 158's.
Uhm... faster meaner louder? Then size up!

Agree with @drblast. Decent length is key for that type of riding. My go to groomer boards are 156 and I'm 125lbs 🤗

If you also aim to ride alpine pow, look at Jones Carbon Flagship 164. That should be fast n mean enough :). It's hubbies favorite board since several seasons for groomers and pow (he's a speed deamon who loves to carve hard). But be prepared to work for your turns.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Switch to AT boots like Atomic Backlands, Spark one binding pucks and Dyno DH plates along with something like the Amplid UNW8, donek, Diamond Blade and such. And with 190#, up it to a 164-68 range with width so as not to boot out. The stiffer AT boots will give you more leverage and response to handle a wider, stiffer and longer board.
It would be a shame not experience this kind of setup in my life considering I tighten my insano's to where my feet go numb, then open them just enough for circulation again. interesting seeing the different possible gear. Korua definitely looks rad on groomers and may be a fun one just to toss in. Carbon flag, amplid unw, and fullbag's are all looking like the right direction.

More rad depends on where you want to take your riding. Pure carving? Or do you want to do rad things in places like trees and other critical parts of the mountain?
I have a splitboard for touring, i have fun all mountain decks that i enjoy in trees and such, need a better powder board. If i'm on resort, i'm typically riding down from alpine to mid mountain - which is why i'm looking to open it up.

Uhm... faster meaner louder? Then size up!

Agree with @drblast. Decent length is key for that type of riding. My go to groomer boards are 156 and I'm 125lbs 🤗

If you also aim to ride alpine pow, look at Jones Carbon Flagship 164. That should be fast n mean enough :). It's hubbies favorite board since several seasons for groomers and pow (he's a speed deamon who loves to carve hard). But be prepared to work for your turns.
Sound advice, I've been seeing your posts for years now and your flag dedication is unwavering. Would have to believe it's well informed ;), will add it to the list.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,135 Posts
Sound advice, I've been seeing your posts for years now and your flag dedication is unwavering. Would have to believe it's well informed ;), will add it to the list.
I myself hardly ever ride my flag anymore. I'm not into this faster meaner game :) so I hardly ever need its high speed stability. My daily driver is something easier on my knees :).

Hubby OTOH swears by it as daily driver (take this with a pinch of salt... we don't ride all day, all mtn. When groomers too crowded, or chewed up and bumpy in the afternoons, we're in the après bar ;)). Only other board he has, is an even stiffer custom designed carving board.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Signal Tailgunner is rad AF. It easily charges as hard as my Flagship, but has insane float and is more nimble in trees. I've rode my flagship once since owning a Tailgunner.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,135 Posts
Well... I myself hardly ever ride my flag anymore. I'm not into this speed game on groomers :) so I hardly ever need its high speed stability. My daily driver is something easier on the knees :). I keep the flag in the hope that we will return to AK one day.

Hubby OTOH swears by it as daily driver (take this with a pinch of salt... we don't ride all day, all mtn. When groomers get too crowded, or chewed up and bumpy in the afternoons, we're in the après bar ;)). Only other board he has, is an even meaner custom designed carving board. I mentioned it to you as you asked for something alike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts