Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son Boston is almost 6 months old. my sister has a 6 yr old who's been skiing for 3 yrs. she and her husband both snowboard. so I asked her why doesn't Emily board? She was told by the ski and snowboard instructors that, until a child is 7 they are too young to snowboard. why I asked? Because their hips aren't developed enough to not cause injuries later in life. By 7 yrs old their hips can take the constant motion of snowboarding....
My question is this.. IS THIS BULLSHIT!!!

I want him to board next season. is that crazy?

·
Registered
730 Posts
bullshit? maybe...each bullshit fact comes from some truth....i would say its much like the weightlifting before fully developed argument.

I have seen some really young kids on snowboards...i think if they aren't going chair to chair 5 days a week, it souldnt cause a problem with bone development. I would say moderation is key...but im no doctor.

ask your family physician...

·
Registered
971 Posts
My son started at 4yrs old and did fine. My daughter was skiing at two but waited until this year to board she's 14 now. Let the kid decide.

·
Registered
696 Posts
my daughter started at 3, now she just walks with a limp, but she's used to it (kidding), dont teach him how to ski, then teach him how to board, she'll learn bad habits, same if he was a boarder switching to skiing

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was just at the dr. she said at 1 and a half he can start doing like fun little 5 min sessions on a cheap little strap in board. to get him use to having fun in the snow. then at 3 they have enough balance to start them in a snowboard school

·
Registered
726 Posts
Good info and exactly what I suspected... wonder where that instructor gets his facts? Cereal box? If a kid can ski a kid can snowboard, what is so different?

I'm having kids soon enough so I'll make a mental note :)

Thanks OP.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well be careful saying that because they are different. The mental and physical skills require to ski are very different than to snowboard. Any 3 year old can put on skis and basically glide down the hill, no balance required, but put that same kid on a snowboard and they fall over and get frustrated.

To your original question, the ski & ride school I teach in starts ski lessons at age 3 and snowboarding at age 4. Through years of practice and failure, we've learned that the maturity level and motor skills of a 3 year old are conducive to learning skiing, but the balance and mental skill required to snowboard usually doesn't develop until age 4. Just think about the little things we take for granted - skating around on flat ground, maneuvering the board for a side slip and side step, ankle flexing and even trying to explain J-turns. They're just not ready yet. And in my experience, it's still a struggle at 4. I prefer 5 year olds when teaching. Not to say you can't teach a 3 year old, wriglets help SO much, it's just that more often than not it's going to be WAY more effort on your part than it's worth and you can't control how much they retain at that age.

Honestly, I tell parents that if they're dead set on getting their 2-3 year old on the hill, have him/her ski for at least a year or two to get used to the feeling of sliding down snow and using their feet to control direction. I skied for 6 years before I learned to ride and I really think that helped get me comfortable on the hill.

Good luck in what you decide! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
616 Posts
this is my son, 6 days before his second birthday.

omg SO CUTE!!

Im kinda torn...my boyfriend has zero interest in snowboarding (sigh) so I figure if I can get his kid into it... well, it's Win Win. I'll have a little shredding buddy and the bf has to come along on trips right? Figure the kid will be better then me after 3 days on the hill...but I digress...

He is 7 and he inline skates (roller hockey) and skateboards...So I can't decide....skis or snowboard first...sigh......Probably gonna be next season. by then I guess he can pick which he wants to do...hopefully snowboarding!!!!

·
Rides Caturdayz
538 Posts
this is my son, 6 days before his second birthday.

Holy crap even got the hand to point the edge. Nice.

That is awesome!!!

Now back to the original question: No such thing as too young...

Oh man I'm going to hell.
Wow man you don't disappoint. Don't think you can overtake chomps though. Just to keep you company in hell.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362689843.311967.jpg

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Im kinda torn...my boyfriend has zero interest in snowboarding (sigh) so I figure if I can get his kid into it... well, it's Win Win. I'll have a little shredding buddy and the bf has to come along on trips right?
Option #2... get a new BF! :D Sorry I had to!

Wow man you don't disappoint. Don't think you can overtake chomps though. Just to keep you company in hell.
No he's got the act going pretty good... Unless it's not an act?!? :dunno:

It is an ODD world we live in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have always been under the impression starting age has everything to do with what mc_dubs talked about. Seems like muscle control in young kids would be an issue. Athletic freak kids do exist who I've seen killing it at super young ages, but they are the exception.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
omg SO CUTE!!

Im kinda torn...my boyfriend has zero interest in snowboarding (sigh) so I figure if I can get his kid into it... well, it's Win Win. I'll have a little shredding buddy and the bf has to come along on trips right? Figure the kid will be better then me after 3 days on the hill...but I digress...

He is 7 and he inline skates (roller hockey) and skateboards...So I can't decide....skis or snowboard first...sigh......Probably gonna be next season. by then I guess he can pick which he wants to do...hopefully snowboarding!!!!
Teach ehat the kids wanna learn. I ride with skiers and they seriously rip on the twin tips... stay away from skiskating and Nordic shit though.lol

My son almost disowned me when i said i wanted to strap on some twin tips.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
I don't usually like teaching kids below the age of seven because a lot of them don't have enough muscle control/strength to be able to control their board. You can keep them isolated to the bunny hill, but then that gets boring to them very, very quickly. At this age, it's very unusual for a child to understand that they have to be in some sort of control so they don't hurt other people, even though it is fun to them to just go straight down the hill without turning.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a long conversation last year with a Level 3 instructor who has kids on this topic. Their take was not before 6 or 7 because kids under that age tend to be significantly disproportionately top heavy. Bad habits in adults like leaning forward or dropping your chin and looking down tend to hold us back a little bit, with kids where their heads actually make up a big portion of their body weight it is worse.

Having said that I have watched the videos here of some pretty amazing kids under that age so not sure how big an issue it is ultimately.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think the reason a young kid would find it harder to snowboard is the whole slowing down thing. Little kids on skis can simply pizza, but stopping on a snowboard requires more bodily force of action. But hey, if the kid wants to learn, DO IT!

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I got a friend that skis and rides with baby on his in the front and alitle older on the back; and all the time see parents with wee ones out there. If the baby/kid grows up on the hill there's no such thing as too young...they just pick it up because that is what life is....thus 2-3 years old can rip around. It doesn't matter ski or ride, just get them going and to solid level and then if they want to switch let them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts