Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of now ipo bindings from 2013 and have them for around 150+days

I also had all the straps replaced once but the second set is also beginning to wear down (buckles won’t spring back into original position and the strap foam is ripping near the buckle)

I’m thinking of either replacing the straps with something more durable or replacing the bindings entirely. Probably another set of burton hammock straps or something else that can be recommended.

The footbed seems to look alright (looks a bit compacted given how many days I had on it) and the highback + baseplate only have cosmetic wear.

was wondering when people start retiring their pair of bindings (aside from strap replacement needs).

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have Union bindings so the time when I get new bindings is when I am bored of them. They literally last forever with proper maintenance. I do have to replace one or two ratchets every season when the lever would stop springing back because the small springs under them have broken.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a pair of now ipo bindings from 2013 and have them for around 150+days

I also had all the straps replaced once but the second set is also beginning to wear down (buckles won’t spring back into original position and the strap foam is ripping near the buckle)

I’m thinking of either replacing the straps with something more durable or replacing the bindings entirely. Probably another set of burton hammock straps or something else that can be recommended.

The footbed seems to look alright (looks a bit compacted given how many days I had on it) and the highback + baseplate only have cosmetic wear.

was wondering when people start retiring their pair of bindings (aside from strap replacement needs).
i use to try to hold onto my gear as long as possible but the advancements in technology every few years is enough to get a new set of bindings after a handful of years. but i do have some 08 cartels that are still going strong after replacing straps

·
Registered
613 Posts
Honestly, plastic will last a looong time and I've ridden 13-14 y.o. bindings with no problems.

However, there's a point where you gotta remain safe and avoid injuries due to brittle plastic.
Getting injured fucking sucks. It's part of any sport, it's the price you pay for taking risks and having fun (I'm on crutches with a recovering torn achille's right now and I've broken a lot of bones and hurt myself in countless ways doing sports all my life). However, while I accept the risks that come with pushing myself, I refuse to risk getting injured from using old/decaying equipment.

Nowadays I look at it this way: I'm supposed to change my road bike helmet after 7 from the manufacturing date, so I'll do the same with my bindings. Is it overkill? Maybe. Could I stretch them another couple of years? Sure I've done it many times. However, technology moves fast and I wanna make sure I'm safe. Plus, one more excuse to buy gear... End of season deals or brand new shiny toy at the beginning of the season... it's all good, as long as I'm as sure as possible that my next trip to the ER will not be due to me using old crap.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
If you like the bindings and they're in good shape, no reason to ditch them. Just upgrade whatever parts you need, like the straps you mentioned. NOW has a lifetime baseplate warranty too, so if/when they do break, they're covered.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I'm a big boy who rides hard. I've broken baseplates and disks. I side with retiring those bindings. I'm pretty adverse to injury these days. I'd rather spend money on bindings than medical assistance. Does a lifetime baseplate warranty cover your knee ligaments?

·
Registered
71 Posts
150+ days is nothing for a binding. I put 250+ on my solomon chiefs and they looked brand new when I sold them. Buy a new set if you want new tech or whatever, but if you like those and they are in good shape, I'd suggest they are fine to use.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Helpful hint - grease buckle springs with Vaseline and they'll spring back good as new. Chap stick also works in a pinch.

I'm not sure how worried I'd be about injuries. I've had bindings break and usually it's because of a big fall or impact and 50/50 whether a binding breaking rather than a bone is a good thing in that case. I've never just been riding around and had a break cause a fall. And they have to break pretty catastrophically to not be at least a little rideable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts