Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Are you guys sure? I was under the impression that they used to be built there, but are now built in China at GP87.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If quality of final product is your only consideration then GP-87 makes better snowboards than anyone in North America.

If you're looking to MAGA then take one of precious guns and shoot yourself in the face, please.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If quality of final product is your only consideration then GP-87 makes better snowboards than anyone in North America.

If you're looking to MAGA then take one of precious guns and shoot yourself in the face, please.
I MAGA and I own a shit load of guns. Never had any issues with one going off randomly and shooting someone in the face. But hey.... YMMV.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
there are other brands that still make boards in CO: Never Summer, Donek, Venture, to name three....
there are probably others. I didn't know Weston moved production to China, they must be getting bigger (?)
Maybe, if you have the volume to support it it's practically stupid to not produce in China. If you believe in made in USA you are the biggest form of sucker in the world. Back to those war time brainwashing days. Also when buying something remember you're supporting jobs and people, crazy to me someone out their is crazy or racist enough to go I'm not helping Tim over there because he lives in Canada but I here there's some guy named Kyle in Kentucky so I should help him instead.

But not a political thread, just know snowboard manufacturing overseas is actually at a superior level to many NA manufacturers. They have the money and the equipment and experience that frankly isn't prevalent in the US currently.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Weston made 1 board model in CO and it was pretty much a sample if that. I don't think that press (it wasn't even a full fledged factory, it was also down in Glenwood Springs) put out over 50 boards total. It wasn't cost effective nor did it have the quality that it should.

The company isn't even owned by the guy that founded it anymore. Plus this thread is old.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never Summers are made in Colorado, hands down some of the best boards i've ever ridden. Have a Venture splitboard and i'm quite impressed with that as well. Though the Venture doesn't quite have the damp ride quality as the NS, though it is a splitboard. Still have not ridden a Venture solid. These aforementioned claims that US boards don't have the quality of Chinese manufacturing arejust opinions. I have a Salomon HPS that is made in China, great board, designed by Wolle Nyvelt, but I still would grab my NS over this most days. I understand not wanting to support Chinese manufacturing. I'm not xenophobic, but if you pay attention at all to what the Chinese government does to minorities / religious groups (Tibet anyone?) and still want to support them or choose not to boycott Chinese products, to each their own. Boycotting a nation-state does not make you a racist, though i'm sure that's the reasoning for some. For others, maybe we are just paying attention. I will choose to buy boards made elsewhere (non-China) in the future. Which is easy to do, because most companies don't choose to manufacture there. Not sure why some of the previous posters are so angry about this.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm not xenophobic, but if you pay attention at all to what the Chinese government does to minorities / religious groups (Tibet anyone?) and still want to support them or choose not to boycott Chinese products, to each their own.
I guess it depends on what your narrative is. Coloradans massacred the natives that lived there on more than one occasion, not to mention the relocation and re-education programs. I won't judge you for that if you ride a board from Colorado.

This thread is old.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess it depends on what your narrative is. Coloradans massacred the natives that lived there on more than one occasion, not to mention the relocation and re-education programs. I won't judge you for that if you ride a board from Colorado.

This thread is old.
I believe we are not massacring Natives in the present day. That narrative could likely be applied to most nations around the world from a historical perspective. Not to say, in the present, Natives are treated fairly here in the US.

That being said, I don't know of anything similar in size to the Xinjiang internment camps currently occurring in the US.

I won't judge you for riding a Chinese board, as I stated, I ride one. I also won't judge others for exploring the option of supporting companies who manufacture outside China.

Old threads need love too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Never Summers are made in Colorado, hands down some of the best boards i've ever ridden. Have a Venture splitboard and i'm quite impressed with that as well. Though the Venture doesn't quite have the damp ride quality as the NS, though it is a splitboard. Still have not ridden a Venture solid. These aforementioned claims that US boards don't have the quality of Chinese manufacturing arejust opinions.
I'v heard and read that Never Summers suck hard and get easily broken. Would never buy a NS myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts