Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This year we explored a little bit.

Around home we have ridden vail, beaver creek, abasin, breck, keystone.

Road trips to

Taos, new mexico; a lot steeper and bigger than expected.

Northstar, smaller and alot lower angled slopes than expected.

Revel stoke BC, huge mountain, not as steep as expected. Poorly laid out lift system makes for some ridiculous traverses....

Silverton. Everything it says it is and more.

Jackson hole. Everything it says it is and more.

Sorry, left out copper.... It's kinda meh, Ron of beginners and low intermediates all over the place and mtn safety in bigger numbers than anywhere I've seen

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Half of my season was pretty much fucked because of an injury. The biggest disappointment is that my Alaska trip fell through after finally being able to put it together this year. But now I'm seriously considering a midsummer trip to S. America.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Perfect North Slopes - Indiana... LOL! The parking lot at Breck has more vert.

Mad River Mountain - Ohio Home of Louie Vito. Nice park featres.

Keystone

Breck

Vail
Paoli, Indiana. I live 8 miles from it so I can't complain too much about lack of vert.

Stowe. First trip to an actual mountain. That was enough to get me to go all in on snowboarding. I'm planning a trip to PNW in the fall and Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Steamboat Springs on spring break 2014. I even bought a season pass to Winter Park so I'm gonna try to make at least 2 trips out there. Not sure how I'm gonna pay for all that, but who gives a shit. Can't take it with you. Unless it causes me to get divorced, then I'm just spending her money anyway.

Jason

·
Registered
845 Posts
Utah - Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Powder mt.
Bend- Bachelor - my favorite local mountain but it's a 3.5 hour drive

All three local resorts 60-90 minutes - skibowl timberline and meadows. We have a season pass to Meadows.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Put 100 days or so in at Loveland and it really blew me away. The amount of awesome terrain and lack of crowds is just awesome. I'd been there 10-20 times before but had no idea. I won't be returning to Vail resorts unless I live in their town. Even A-basin was a giant turd after being spoilt at Luv all season. (did a weekend there last month).

My buddy Mike and I admiring our lines coming off 13,010'.

Caught 3 days at Monarch, DEEP.

Next year hoping to get the CO Superpass (Copper and WP) in addition to the Loveland pass, gaining 6 free days in total at Monarch and Steamboat respectively.

·
Registered
334 Posts
2012/2013 D2 Resort rankings (worst to best):

Snow Creek Missouri (close to home...fun terrain park)
Mt Crescent, IA...they got 8" of powder so off we went.
Copper Mountain (meh...it was ok)
Winter Park (Mary Jane was fun...stay away from WP...flat like Kansas)
Vail (Blue Sky Basin is incredible...too many people though)
Keystone (A51...a terrain park with its' own lift...oh yeah)
Monarch (Little bit of everything with no traverses...fun place)
Breckenridge (Peak 10 trees!...flat at the bottom though)
Loveland (Fun, great snow...stinkin windy every time)
Beaver Creek (Grouse Mtn and the Stone Creek Chutes are excellent!)
A Basin (I still love this mountain after 30+ years there)
Crested Butte (Lift served extreme terrain...awesome mountain and town)
Wolf Creek (#1 for me always and forever...best trees anywhere)

Dean

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Didn't do much travelling this year. Save for some local So Cal resorts only got to Crystal and Stevens, and Mammoth.

Mammoth was everything everyone said it would be. Huge mountain. Varied Terrain. Fun stuff.

Stevens was a little small but really fun. Crystal was good for free riding but I think I'd be bored unless it snowed really hard then I'd be afraid (because I'd want to go to the backside)

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Paoli, Indiana. I live 8 miles from it so I can't complain too much about lack of vert.

Stowe. First trip to an actual mountain. That was enough to get me to go all in on snowboarding. I'm planning a trip to PNW in the fall and Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Steamboat Springs on spring break 2014. I even bought a season pass to Winter Park so I'm gonna try to make at least 2 trips out there. Not sure how I'm gonna pay for all that, but who gives a shit. Can't take it with you. Unless it causes me to get divorced, then I'm just spending her money anyway.

Jason
I literally just drove within 8 miles of your place then.. LOL

I am an insurance claims adjuster. Work takes me from Indy to Jasper at least once a week...

·
Registered
756 Posts
We got around this year actually.

Vail, Breck, Copper, Keystone, Abasin, BC - multiple times, mostly Breck and Key

Powderhorn, CO (By Grand Junction) We spent a couple days there after they got like 25+ inches of snow. fresh lines every run. Aside from the chairlifts, I had a great time there!

Brighton - 4 days, Love that resort! and the surrounding area. lots of fun cliffs and fun trees. Kinda scared to drive around UT with weed though.. I've never seen so many cops in my life. SLC has to have the worst downtown I've ever seen in a city that size. lots of good looking girls there though.
...But I'll be back, fun mountains there!

Snowbird - 2 days, We hit this place before they got pounded with snow, it was hardpack and beat up. Looks like it would be a blast there if there was some deep snow. Didn't really like the vibe there compared to Brighton though. I was gonna rent some skis and try out Alta but my buddies were not down.

Terry Peak, SD - 6-7 days, Family lives there, it's a small resort but they have 3 high speed quads now! had fun but nothing call home about. I also went to Red Lodge once with some family I visited there.

Hit Winter Park and Eldora once each since I acquired some free tickets.

I had a fun year overall, plan on going to the Basin a couple more times before I have go work in CA. Didn't really work much this winter, I wish every year was like that!

Sorry for the novel, this year was great!

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Loveland and Wolf Creek all i need :laugh:
This is the first year I didn't hit Wolf Creek, didn't look like they got much snow this year when we were deciding where to go.
Next year if the conditions are right we'd like to try Taos, one of my buddies keeps going on and on about how awesome it is.
did 5 days at wolf this year and everyday was 12''+ with a couple days at 30'' + and one day with 52'' storm total :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I literally just drove within 8 miles of your place then.. LOL

I am an insurance claims adjuster. Work takes me from Indy to Jasper at least once a week...
If you drove from Paoli to Jasper, then you drove within a 1/2 mile of my house.

If you are ever down this way next season, look me up. I'm always looking for someone to ride with.

Jason

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Mt. Rainier, Alpental, Snoqualmie (east, central, west), Mt. Baker, Mt. Hood Meadows. Usually I get a few trips in to Stevens and Crystal as well, but apparently I didn't travel much this season. Good thing I still have some Hood trips in my future to make up for it before I call it a season. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.