Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start doing my own personal maintenance soon and was wondering where most of you guys do your grooming? How messy does it get and do you have any tips to keep cleanup minimal?

Serious question.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm going to start doing my own personal maintenance soon and was wondering where most of you guys do your grooming? How messy does it get and do you have any tips to keep cleanup minimal?

Serious question.

Cheers!
Basement for me. I place small cardboard boxes on the floor at each end of the table to catch most of the shavings, then sweep/shop vac the rest when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Garage. Floor is epoxied, easy clean up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basement for me. I place small cardboard boxes on the floor at each end of the table to catch most of the shavings, then sweep/shop vac the rest when I'm done.
Thanks. I just have a small apartment with no private garage. Is it easy/ok to vacuum wax? Do you put your board between two chairs?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks. I just have a small apartment with no private garage. Is it easy/ok to vacuum wax? Do you put your board between two chairs?
It seems to come up fine with a shop vac, but that is on a hard floor. Can't say for carpet. I set mine on the rear supports of my weight bench, which act as safety bars for when I squats. It works perfect. I'd think a couple of chairs would be fine, might wanna put some towels down or something if you don't wanna scratch up your topsheet.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Just don't do it on a carpet. Lay down some newspaper. Vacuuming up shavings isn't a problem, but dripping hot wax on the floor is a pain to clean up.

Ventilation is a good idea, ESPECIALLY if you use any sort of fluoro wax, which is pretty harmful to breath in. Just make sure your iron isn't smoking when it touches the wax.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Get a roll of plastic from the paint department in your hardware store. It costs a couple of dollars and if you just cut what you need the roll will last for years. I lean my board up against the counter to scrape and use a hand vac for clean up. The wife is ok with it so it must work great.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wax and smooth in the kitchen, or anywhere for that matter...scrape in the mountain parking lot, or on your neighbor's porch.
There actually an open field across the street from me. Is it ok to scrape when it's really cold out?

What do I set my board up on in a parking lot or field?

·
Registered
60 Posts
From personal experience of waxing/scraping in a carpeted room, I agree any drips will be hell to get out, and even shavings can get ground in if you aren't careful. That being said, we were promised new carpet asap (in writing) when we moved in 3 years ago and have yet to hear any progress on it, so we're not too worried about adding a little to the myriad stains we started out with. :giggle:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts

Serious question.

Cheers!
Grooming? For a second it sounded like a troll post :laugh:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Waxing in the evening inside of the shed, scraping in the morning before riding outside (it's a good warm up :)). Clean the board in the snow -> no wax on clothes.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
In my kitchen, on top of 2 chairs. Sometimes I'll scrape in the carport, sometimes in the kitchen. Sweep up with a broom and done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a 6'x8' tarp from Canadian Tire for $3. I lay that down on my carpeted living room, and put the board on top to wax and scrape. As long as you don't scrape too fast, all the scrapings should stay on the tarp. Then you can just fold the tarp in half and dump the scrapings in the garbage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the responses!

Does anyone know its okay to scrape in the cold (-10 to -30) if the board is still room temp?

Will the wax be hard to get off?

·
Registered
382 Posts
balcony :) as a mattter of fact since going to killingtopn this weekend i will wax tomorrow :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts