Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a relatively low cost area near a mountain. :dunno:
Maine looks good.
Secluded, wilderness, mountains.:thumbsup:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Where do you currently live? How old are you? What job experience do you have? Is this a short term move (for the season) or a long term move? Do you have money in the bank?

Maine? Maybe if you like shellfish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 26, I'll have to find a new job. Recent job experience doesn't transfer well tot he civilian market, so I have to start from the beginning again. I have residual income and money in the bank.

Long term.
Love sea food, but it's not a must.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
North Lake Tahoe. San Francisco is close for seafood too..... I find it kinda pricey though. Not secluded either. Mt hood villages is cool.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Op, what's your budget, how dirt bag do you want to go...do you or can you work, do you want to drive, for how long....?

If you have your return travel, pass, and gear covered...

Then only some food, rent and entertainment without a car...idk maybe $1500-2000 per month dirtbaggin could easily be done if sharing a house and hitchhiking or public transportation to/from the hill.

Another thing to think about is a plan...medical incase you fuck yourself...I've known a few kids have unfortunately had to cut a season short and beg to get back home...to get properly fixed up....us medical system can be harsh.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Op, what's your budget, how dirt bag do you want to go...do you or can you work, do you want to drive, for how long....?

If you have your return travel, pass, and gear covered...

Then only some food, rent and entertainment without a car...idk maybe $1500-2000 per month dirtbaggin could easily be done if sharing a house and hitchhiking or public transportation to/from the hill.

Another thing to think about is a plan...medical incase you fuck yourself...I've known a few kids have unfortunately had to cut a season short and beg to get back home...to get properly fixed up....us medical system can be harsh.
I'll go full dirt bag, mountain man, hobbit, hermit, whatever ya wanna call it. I'd dig into the side of the mountain if it wasn't illegal and live like people did before electricity. :thumbsup: In reality, a one room studio is good enough for me. I'm hardly inside as it is, in time I'll update my living quarters if things go right with work.
I'd also buy an automobile in time (that's the last thing on my list of things I want), but I usually use a bicycle to get around, or skis to traverse snow.
I am very willing to work as this is a long term move. I don't have a home to go back to, so no issue there and I've got medical covered in the US; I just need a VA facility or hospital close by and I am good to go.

·
Banned
257 Posts
if your passion is your job, and your job isnt snowboarding or something to do with it: dont be limited by places that snow. with a couple hour drive, you can get to a powder haven from a barren desert. but if you want to be successful in america. New Mexico is booming, so is cali (i think). however, the east and the mideast are sort of a hole to me, I have no idea whats going on there. if your not limited to the us, CANADA. I used to live in the us. loved it, but canada respects you better. no problem with government. no gun problems. just peace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm American and I know how to play by the rules, but that's not me buddy... not at all. I just got done playing with the big boys out there in modern Mesopotamia. I'm ready for peace and quiet.
Success for me isn't in the realm of corporation and capitalism, it's in building the strongest version of myself. I've a passion for the mountains, the mountains give me all I need to grow physically, mentally and spiritually. I must live in the shadow of one, or what's left of my soul will wither and I'll become an empty vessel trapped in a world of consumerism and materialism.:dunno:

I'd like to move somewhere that isn't big time resort/touristy. So I don't have to deal with 50010015 people on my way to the lift and work.
I've been looking at N. Lake Tahoe, Franklin County in Maine and somewhere north of Seattle near the Canadian border.

·
Registered
502 Posts
grand targhee, secluded in eastern idaho, world class riding, less than an hour from big brother jackson hole, less than 6 hours from salt lake city.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
OP, if you want secluded wilderness, Maine would be the spot. Kingfield (pop. 1000) or closer to the mountain in Carabassett Valley (pop. 400) are as small town as you can get. They are about 15 minutes from Sugarloaf (Maine & New England's Premier Ski and Golf Resort - Great Lodging & Lift Ticket Deals | Sugarloaf) which is the 2nd tallest mountain in Maine.

Sugarloaf is the largest ski area east of the rockies with over 1400 acres of ridable terrain... with the new Brackett basin glades... an entire mountain of just glades. It is the same elevation as Killington with just 180 less vertical feet (but 700 more acres of terrain).

My friend rents an entire house in Kingfield (2 to 3 acres in his back yard, riverfront) for roughly $600 per month. Closest movie theaters/real grocery stores are 40 minutes away, apart from the smaller and more expensive market in town.

The people are amazing and apart from christmas and spring breaks, the mountain stays pretty quiet. Riding there after some fresh snow mid week will get you fresh tracks until 3 PM. Last year they closed around May 7th with many trails still open.
ve
Last year they started adding millions of dollars of snow guns to their fleet. They can blow better snow at higher temps than any snow guns I have ever seen. Watching them get turned on full blast was amazing, and you could ride down through it like a crazy powder day (nothing frozen to your goggles).

Also if you like seafood... they just opened a clam hut in the base lodge (made famous from their original spot on the coast) and employees get nice discounts... Let's just say I had fried clams and lobster bisque for lunch most days I worked there. They are always looking for snowboard instructors, so if you want a hookup to get your foot in the door, shoot me a PM. My friend is the head SB instructor there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts