Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to go to Colorado in March 2020, but have never been boarding outside of the local hill here in indiana. Just hoping for some suggestions, it would be 3 intermediate riders and possibly one newbie. The reviews on everything are so mixed and we’re definitely out of our territory here, but super stoked to get out on some real slopes. Just hoping for some pointers in the right direction so we don’t end up way beyond what we can handle. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
March is spring break here. If you want to deal with lines, frat bros, and stupidity I can give you the details on that. Otherwise I'd say get away from any of the I 70 resorts. For the skill levels you're describing I would suggest Steamboat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, not into the spring break scene, lmao, and didn’t think about that. What about end of March into April, would that help avoid the frat bros? Thanks, will definitely check out Steamboat!

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Depends on when Easter falls and what colleges are going on break. Generally the whole month is Spring Break. Then there's the whole Lifestylez group thing, they've been banned for the last year from various resorts here, but that comes to an end so if they book a group that can be anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 screaming college kids. Aspen area generally doesn't get touched by that crowd but you're looking at a higher price.

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Telluride or Crested Butte would be the other major ski areas that don't get crowds (there are exceptions to the rule) in the state in addition to Aspen. You pay more, but things like Spring Break are not much of an issue at those three spots.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
I actually find loveland pretty newb friendly.
It is, but lodging is gonna suck. You're either staying in Georgetown where options are limited or staying in Summit County.

There's a reason why Summit is so popular. Tons of lodging options and you can buy one pass and hop around and hit several mountains in one trip.

But you couldn't pay me to go to Summit County during spring break. LOL! No thank you.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
It is, but lodging is gonna suck. You're either staying in Georgetown where options are limited or staying in Summit County.

There's a reason why Summit is so popular. Tons of lodging options and you can buy one pass and hop around and hit several mountains in one trip.

But you couldn't pay me to go to Summit County during spring break. LOL! No thank you.
Loveland parking is pretty easy. I just drive from Denver to the resort.
It's never that busy.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
I guess if you avoid rush hour and go during the weekdays it's not that bad.
That used to be the case, but it's not as accurate these days. Weekday powder days are the equivalent of a weekend day and when I say "powder day" I basically mean that there's anything showing on the snowstake. You basically only get those clean drives these days when conditions are subpar.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,165 Posts
March is spring break here. If you want to deal with lines, frat bros, and stupidity I can give you the details on that. Otherwise I'd say get away from any of the I 70 resorts. For the skill levels you're describing I would suggest Steamboat.
Yeah, not into the spring break scene, lmao, and didn’t think about that. What about end of March into April, would that help avoid the frat bros? Thanks, will definitely check out Steamboat!
I spent 5 days @ Steamboat out of a 2 week CO trip. I absolutely Fell in love with the place. Lots of Wiiiiide open groomers, plenty of varied and challenging terrain for newbs and intermediates alike. I had an apartment rental from vrob or sum such that was reasonably priced & just a 5 min bus ride from the main gondola. Never waited longer than 10 min to get the bus to the resort.

Now,... full disclosure, this was @ the end of Jan, first week of Feb. So spring break wasn't an issue. :shrug: I split the rest of my trip between Copper & Loveland. Both of which are awesome when the crowds are absent. (...Ive been lucky not to have experienced the full on "CO. 1-70 resort shit show" yet!)
>:)

-edit-
For Copper, Luv, Breck, etc. If you can swing it time wise,..? You might be better off shooting for late Feb, maybe into the first week of March to avoid crazy crowds? :shrug: My first CO. trip was arounf that time frame & crowds weren't bad at all. But BA would kno better about that than me.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
That used to be the case, but it's not as accurate these days. Weekday powder days are the equivalent of a weekend day and when I say "powder day" I basically mean that there's anything showing on the snowstake. You basically only get those clean drives these days when conditions are subpar.
What time are you leaving? I had 58 days this year driving up from Golden and probably only hit traffic 10 times. And most those were my fault leaving to late.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What time are you leaving? I had 58 days this year driving up from Golden and probably only hit traffic 10 times. And most those were my fault leaving to late.....

We are kinda strapped to the last week in March schedule wise with our jobs. So, March 22-28. Miiiiight be possible to push back a week and do March 29-April 4, but not even sure that’s gonna be possible, and that’s probably smack in the middle of spring break 😞

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Wanting to go to Colorado in March 2020, but have never been boarding outside of the local hill here in indiana. Just hoping for some suggestions, it would be 3 intermediate riders and possibly one newbie. The reviews on everything are so mixed and we’re definitely out of our territory here, but super stoked to get out on some real slopes. Just hoping for some pointers in the right direction so we don’t end up way beyond what we can handle. Thanks in advance!
Paoli Peaks by chance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Paoli Peaks by chance?
Perfect north, actually! Haven’t been over to Paoli peaks, we are on the eastern side of the state almost in Ohio

·
Registered
10 Posts
I lived in CO for 22 years and was there for the work and snowboarding. Spring break is a nightmare for all the I-70 ski areas. So, book your hotel rooms early and keep shopping for deals, cancelling the reservations as you find new deals.

Driving from Denver is a haul. I'd recommend staying at 2 different ski towns for the week, so that you have days to wake up and not have to commute to the ski slopes.

What is your ticket budget like?

The best resorts are super pricey. But some offer discounted tickets at grocery stores (King Soopers) that are prevalent in Denver. So use those to help save some money.

My favorite slopes are:
1. Buttermilk in Aspen (My fav since I like to carve when there is no new pow; great tree skiing)
2. Ski Cooper (great terrain for the $, but no high-speed quads when I went last in 2014; also high altitude, so snow is almost always in good condition; mostly locals and kids want to go ski at big resorts asap; I've never waited in a line there!)
3. Loveland (but will be a night-mare during Spring Break, so stay away).

If you don't mind driving, you can get a room in Gunnison (it's a HAUL) but will give you access to Monarch (top of a pass with lovely terrain and snow) and Crested Butte (fun for everyone!!!) Then you can do a drive one day and go down to Telluride, which has one of the longest beginner trails that isn't a cat track I have ever boarded (trails off Sunshine Express lift). I learned to board on those lovely consistent sloped trails!

Resorts to avoid during Spring Break:
1. Keystone
2. Loveland
3. Breckenridge
4. Winterpark
All of the above will likely be mobbed.

If I were you, I'd be targeting a hotel/motel in Gunnison and ski Monarch 2 days and Telluride one day and Crested Butte another day.

Shop for hotels as early as possible and continue shopping until you get the best rate! I will typically book hotels 6-7 times and cancel all the prior reservations as I find another better rate.

Have fun! I'm jealous (now in OC and surfing the asphalt, as Mammoth is 5 hours on a good trip)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts