Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I lived in CO for 22 years and was there for the work and snowboarding. Spring break is a nightmare for all the I-70 ski areas. So, book your hotel rooms early and keep shopping for deals, cancelling the reservations as you find new deals.

Driving from Denver is a haul. I'd recommend staying at 2 different ski towns for the week, so that you have days to wake up and not have to commute to the ski slopes.

What is your ticket budget like?

The best resorts are super pricey. But some offer discounted tickets at grocery stores (King Soopers) that are prevalent in Denver. So use those to help save some money.

My favorite slopes are:
1. Buttermilk in Aspen (My fav since I like to carve when there is no new pow; great tree skiing)
2. Ski Cooper (great terrain for the $, but no high-speed quads when I went last in 2014; also high altitude, so snow is almost always in good condition; mostly locals and kids want to go ski at big resorts asap; I've never waited in a line there!)
3. Loveland (but will be a night-mare during Spring Break, so stay away).

If you don't mind driving, you can get a room in Gunnison (it's a HAUL) but will give you access to Monarch (top of a pass with lovely terrain and snow) and Crested Butte (fun for everyone!!!) Then you can do a drive one day and go down to Telluride, which has one of the longest beginner trails that isn't a cat track I have ever boarded (trails off Sunshine Express lift). I learned to board on those lovely consistent sloped trails!

Resorts to avoid during Spring Break:
1. Keystone
2. Loveland
3. Breckenridge
4. Winterpark
All of the above will likely be mobbed.

If I were you, I'd be targeting a hotel/motel in Gunnison and ski Monarch 2 days and Telluride one day and Crested Butte another day.

Shop for hotels as early as possible and continue shopping until you get the best rate! I will typically book hotels 6-7 times and cancel all the prior reservations as I find another better rate.

Have fun! I'm jealous (now in OC and surfing the asphalt, as Mammoth is 5 hours on a good trip)
member since 11..............5 posts................y this post................hmmmmmmmmm..............de advice is spot on........regardless............

·
Registered
10 Posts
member since 11..............5 posts................y this post................hmmmmmmmmm..............de advice is spot on........regardless............
I was mostly reading for reviews when I was shopping for a new board back then and signed up to put out an offer on a board I wasn't using.

I saw this post in the email this form send to me and, given my length of time snowboarding in CO, I felt knowledgeable enough to offer an informed opinion on this topic. I've been snowboarding since 1991 and lived in CO from 1984 - 2015. Here I am at the top of the back bowls of Vail in 1993, visiting my friend I dropped off in CO while I went to live in Hood River and work at Mt. Hood for a year ('92-'93) and then SLC, UT for a year before finally getting on board with the tech wave of pre-2000 in Denver.

At Vail with my still favorite pow board - K2 Fat Bob

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wanting to go to Colorado in March 2020, but have never been boarding outside of the local hill here in indiana. Just hoping for some suggestions, it would be 3 intermediate riders and possibly one newbie. The reviews on everything are so mixed and we’re definitely out of our territory here, but super stoked to get out on some real slopes. Just hoping for some pointers in the right direction so we don’t end up way beyond what we can handle. Thanks in advance!
I would also suggest Loveland. You can get a 4 pack in the fall for a great price. It's an independent resort so everything from french fries to beer is cheaper. You can park close, so you can get back to your car if you need something. Has great and varying terrain and snowpack is generally good by spring. Great vibe, less crowded and friendly. Monarch is also an overlooked gem. It is way more economical. Off the beaten path but you can stay in Buena Vista for a great price and there is Mount Princeton hotsprings on your way back from the mountain. Which is awesome.

If you want to come by and tour the Never Summer factory on your way through Denver, let me know. I could arrange a demo as well if you wanted to try one of our new 2019/20 boards. Just PM me or contact [email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honestly a lot depends on logistics and how far you're willing to drive - or pay for flights.

Telluride/Aspen/Steamboat/Crested Butte are quite a trek from Denver airport. If your group is mostly intermediates this might not be worth the effort.
Breck/Keystone/Vail will be rammed over spring break.
You could do worse than stay in Frisco and hit different mountains each day.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts