Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to Tahoe, Mt. Hood and SLC twice. Vail once. I think I want to try something different this year but not sure what. It will be a group of ~10 with beg/int and advanced riders.

I like the idea of checking out multiple resorts on 1 trip but I also like staying in a mountain town environment.

Been looking at the following and what my impressions are. Any input is appreciated or thoughts about other destinations.

Big Sky (expensive lodging, no other resorts close)
Aspen (expensive all around. Crowded)
Telluride ?
Steamboat ?
Jackson (might be to much advanced terrain)

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Aspen is not crowded. It is nothing like Vail or Summit county. Expensive yes. 4 mountains to chose from and the best Apres ski scene in the lower 48.

Big Sky also has Moonlight. I think it would be a pretty ideal place. Maybe Whitefish would be another choice?

Steamboat is a great ski town. Yeah one mountain, I am sure you'd be more than entertained there. Book a day of cat skiing while you are at it.

Jackson, one hell of a mountain. They do have plenty of runs for all abilities. Just cause it has the gnar doesn't mean you have to ride it.

Telluride, kind of like Aspen, but a little more remote, still pricey. Stunning scenery there for sure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aspen is not crowded. It is nothing like Vail or Summit county. Expensive yes. 4 mountains to chose from and the best Apres ski scene in the lower 48.

Big Sky also has Moonlight. I think it would be a pretty ideal place. Maybe Whitefish would be another choice?

Steamboat is a great ski town. Yeah one mountain, I am sure you'd be more than entertained there. Book a day of cat skiing while you are at it.

Jackson, one hell of a mountain. They do have plenty of runs for all abilities. Just cause it has the gnar doesn't mean you have to ride it.

Telluride, kind of like Aspen, but a little more remote, still pricey. Stunning scenery there for sure.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure I will have more questions the further I get with my research.

From what l can tell, all there is at Big Sky is the resort lodging. No mountain town at the base? Maybe stay in Bozeman or somewhere in between and maybe hit up Bridger Bowl?

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I haven't been to Big Sky, but yeah, it's resort town. I am pretty sure they have restaurants, bars and such. Probably not the most happening place. Bozeman in addition to having Bridger close by is also a college town. So there should be plenty of entertainment. Probably as rowdy as you want it to get.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I went to big sky and moonlight two years ago and it has been one of the best places that I have been (SLC, Denver, Whistler). It has terrain for everyone and it's huge when you combine those two. For a cheaper place to stay check out the Buck T4 lodge, it's actually pretty nice and has two hot tubs the size of small pools. It's about 10 mins from the resort and is on the free shuttle route which is a bonus. The drive from Bozeman to Big Sky is really easy and one of the best things about those places is the lack of lift lines and nobody else on the runs.
The only downfall of big sky is if you are looking for crazy night life it's not the place to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts