Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K so I've saved the coin and decided to do a snow season before having a girlfriend and kids to ruin my life.

The only thing I'm not sure on is where to go...:dunno:

I'm probably an intermediate to advance rider. I like steep, powder and trees. Not too good at park but am keen to improve. I don't give a shit about a party scene and would in all honesty prefer to stay somewhere with a more "rustic" feel.

I'm going alone so would like to go somewhere where I can meet cool people. I want to stick to North America for several reasons.

My top picks are either Revelstoke or Jackson hole. They both seem to have what I'm chasing and both are reasonable for accommodation expenses.

Any other good suggestions? Just want somewhere that gets heaps of snow and has a laid back vibe, they are the main priorities. Would be keep to hear other options!

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Revelstoke is probably going to be more affordable than Jackson. Probably more snow and almost certainly bigger terrain with more vertical. Jackson is probably the best that the US has to offer outside of Alaska, but it would just be one of the Canadian resorts if it was north of the border.

Plus Kicking Horse is just a few hours away accessed by Rogers Pass. Rogers Pass is THE backcountry pass in North America. There is none better. I haven't been there and my statement is still true.

I think you would have the most world class options in Revy.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Having done Jackson and revy back to back las season, I would pick Jackson. Both areas have great back country access bu the inbounds terrain is ALOT better at Jackson than revy. Revy has a longer vert drop but is not as steep. Don't get me wrong, if your used to 15-30 degree slopes you will shit your pants at either one......

If you want full on lift service, your limited in revy due to the fact that they have 4 lifts for a huge fucking mtn and the traverses can be crazy. You have two great options though. Jackson ole is one of the few places we would consider moving to though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K thanks for the replies. whitewater looks ok too but it's not really that big a mountain. Maybe I'm being too picky

·
Registered
730 Posts
K thanks for the replies. whitewater looks ok too but it's not really that big a mountain. Maybe I'm being too picky
Whitewater while small is one hell of a place...if you watch Nicolas Mullers part in "12" its filmed almost entirely in Whitewater.

Another solid option is the town of Golden...Kicking Horse is HUGE with some amazing terrain...plus you are easy access to Revy being 1.5hrs away.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whitewater while small is one hell of a place...if you watch Nicolas Mullers part in "12" its filmed almost entirely in Whitewater.

Another solid option is the town of Golden...Kicking Horse is HUGE with some amazing terrain...plus you are easy access to Revy being 1.5hrs away.
Yeah whitewater looks great, huge snowfall is a major plus, but being such a small mountain I wonder if I'd get bored of it after 4 months?

Kicking horse is great, I've ridden there a few times but they don't seem to get the snowfall as much.
I'm a bit worried I won't be allowed in Canada (long story) so I guess I'm looking for the best options in the states.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wrath had it first but I would be interested in glacier wa. My baker is right up the road. They have tons of snow every year and it is a very laid back mountain. Lots of difficult terrain and back country riding. And glacier has great weed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Don't really know much about this spot. Sounds good though, as mt baker is pretty high in my list, and I do like weed

Just had a look at the mt baker website. They get a huge amount of snowfall! 250in in December alone!!
What's the snow quality like there? I've ridden whistler after a "pineapple express" storm rolled through, warm enough to rain in the village. The snow up top was truly awful. 80cm overnight but totally unrideable. Wet, extremely heavy and slow. I remember pointing my board down a black run and not even moving! Is snow like that unusual in the PNW? That was the worst day of riding I've ever had I think

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Baker depends on what you want, it’s small and its chill, tons of snow, steep, learn to ride blind, it can be wet and heavy, it can be deep and fluffy it can be a glorious or hellish. Rest assured, if you want to learn how to ride natural terrain in variable conditions…you will become a better rider. The cliché statement is “if you can ride Baker, you can ride anywhere.” There are quite a few people that move here from Utah, Colorado and other parts of the US because it is challenging little hill. However there are only one or two barely known riders that call it home and it has this sucky little race that nobody cares about cause they only give out duct tape trophies. So probably better to go elsewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts