Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I know Burton recommends the Diode EST but want to step down the price ladder or buy an alternative brand.

As far as alternative brands are concerned; I'm considering the Flux SF45, the Now Drive and Union Atlas (or the Charger).

Note: I'll be using this setup for when I go out on a date. I'm 50, retired and most of the girls I know are skiers; so no Park, lots of steeps and groomers. I'll be using this setup to replace my old 162 Morrow Blaze and Ride CAD.

The Morrow Blaze was a top end Big Mountain Freestyle Board back in 2000 but would be considered a Freeride board by todays standards.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Nito

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
In Burton the Malavita or Mission. I don't think you'll get the drive you need to push into the camber out of the Atlas highback. Its too torsionally soft, really I havent ridden a Union I personally would put on something like the Custom X. The SF's are a decent match. Also maybe look at Flow NX2's (except the SE), K2 Company, Salomon Caliber, or Raiden Blackhawks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Burton the Malavita or Mission. I don't think you'll get the drive you need to push into the camber out of the Atlas highback. Its too torsionally soft, really I havent ridden a Union I personally would put on something like the Custom X. The SF's are a decent match. Also maybe look at Flow NX2's (except the SE), K2 Company, Salomon Caliber, or Raiden Blackhawks.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll make sure to contact a buddy and get the SF45 setup for a demo.

The Flow NX2 are very new and still evolving. But I like the idea because the girls hate waiting even though it takes less than a minute to strap in.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll make sure to contact a buddy and get the SF45 setup for a demo.

The Flow NX2 are very new and still evolving. But I like the idea because the girls hate waiting even though it takes less than a minute to strap in.
The only chamge they made from last to this year was coring out the frame for weight. The Hybrid strap might get some very minor tweaks for 2015 but its also basically dialed and the I-Strap hasn't changed that much in years.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Im with nivek on the flows, even if the difference for you to strap in is 5 seconds it is a difference and will likely make the date go smoother :p

·
Registered
751 Posts
stick with Burton. Go with cartels. They are not soft regardless of what the 'experts' on here say.

save money and get missions, which are essentially cartels from a couple seasons ago.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only chamge they made from last to this year was coring out the frame for weight. The Hybrid strap might get some very minor tweaks for 2015 but its also basically dialed and the I-Strap hasn't changed that much in years.
I'll give the Flows a try when they do demos at our local resort. Btw, I used to ride Flows a long time ago and could strap in while skating.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stick with Burton. Go with cartels. They are not soft regardless of what the 'experts' on here say.

save money and get missions, which are essentially cartels from a couple seasons ago.
I'll give the Missions a try but skeptical about the Cartel or Vitas. My reason, the hinge will reduce the amount of longitudinal flex I can apply to a camber board. That's the reason I moved up from Flow bindings to straps long ago.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im with nivek on the flows, even if the difference for you to strap in is 5 seconds it is a difference and will likely make the date go smoother :p
LOL, it doesn't take me even a second to strap in Flows. I used to ride Flows and could strap in while skating.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ok so every possible recommendation under the sun so far.

They're spendy but might as well demo the diodes too.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts

I don't recall anyone here saying they're soft. We've said they are softer than they have been in the past few years. I rode them back to back to back with the Malavita and Genesis on the same day on the same board.

But you're right. I mean the evidence you've presented is in fact irrefutable.

The amount and way the Hinge flexes does not rob you of performance. In fact I found it allowed for a bit of a load up and gave me a bit more energy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't recall anyone here saying they're soft. We've said they are softer than they have been in the past few years. I rode them back to back to back with the Malavita and Genesis on the same day on the same board.

But you're right. I mean the evidence you've presented is in fact irrefutable.

The amount and way the Hinge flexes does not rob you of performance. In fact I found it allowed for a bit of a load up and gave me a bit more energy.
I could see how the Hinge allows for a wider stance and thereby generate leverage for longitudinal flex. Guess I'll demo them but it will be more dependent on my riding style and comfort; i.e. I don't ride Cowboy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok so every possible recommendation under the sun so far.

They're spendy but might as well demo the diodes too.
Thanks for posting but big jump from less than $300; Diode Est are $400 and Diode Reflex are $370.

Edit: Wow, just priced the Flows. I'm probably looking at the Flow NX2 AT for demo; other NX2 models get into Diode price range.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts