Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Yeah so as the title says looking to buy a board, I'm pretty new to snowboarding and don't know much.
Last year-ish I hit my 1st jumps the 3rd time I've ever been on a snowboard I was stoked!!!!
The past 2 years I've gone 3 times this year will be my 4th, but I would like to buy my own board instead of renting or borrowing boards.
The only brand name I know of are Burton basically because my friends have them.
I've been looking at some sites, but I don't even know what to look for! :dunno:

Just a little of what I'm looking for and about me.

-I'm 5'5", 120lbs, I'm 24 years old and I have 8.5 DC Phase boots.
-Something between a cruiser board and maybe just a little park shenanigans.
-I will usually go to Big Bear or Mammoth Mountain in Southern California.
-Which shape board should I get?(Traditional Camber, Rocker, Flat, ect.)
-A board that I will be happy with for years.

I'm not looking to be hitting the park a lot just some random jumps and boxes.
Also I'd like to find something in the $250 a bit lower or higher will be fine with spending.
If anyone has some suggestions of specific boards or even what shape I should be looking for it will be appreciated!

Thank you,
-Justin

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Is your budget for board and bindings or just board?

At your weight you're on the border between youth and adult boards, you'll typically be buying the smallest size adult board. I would avoid kids boards.

Consider burton custom or burton process in 152-154 cm sizing. Both can be had either camber or CRC hybrid profiles, which burton calls Flying V. If it's icy where you ride go camber otherwise Flying V gives a loose more skatey feel that you might like for the park.

Look on craigslist and ebay, buy the one that is newest/in best condition that meets your price point.

I wouldn't plan on being happy for years with your board, you'll develop a riding style and preferences but you can flip the board in a year or two.

Do some demos if you can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, that price will be without bindings. I'd like to find a decent pair of bindings for around another $150 or so.

The times I went snowboarding at Big Bear I don't recall the mountain being icy.

Ah thank you I'll check out those boards with the flying V shape!

I'm shooting for a new 2013 board since they are all on sale right now. In December all of my friends that put money towards renting the cabin in mid January are going to the Ski Dazzle in Los Angeles. I guess it's like a ski/snowboard convention. So I got a good month to check out some boards.

Thank you for your help!:bowdown:

·
Registered
257 Posts
It doesnt really matter what board you get as your still learning, but def look for solid deals and when you find one, research that board and make sure it fits what you want to do.

Ebay actually have some decent deals with board and binding combos as do other retailers. Go to sites like Evo or Dogfunk and find 2012 boards that are on big sales. Something like a Flow Merc comes to mind. A company like flow or rossignol will give you solid tech for your money as opposed to lib tech or never summer.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
At that price look at last year's boards. K2 Raygun gets mentioned as a great beginner board you can grow into. Flow Era is also cheap, and all-mountainy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly I been staying away from the K2 I had a bad experience with them in the past, damn Big 5! but That Raygun looks awesome lol. I just watched the K2 Raygun Snowboard 2012 review and it seems good for my needs. I guess things have changed in their company the past 10 years or they just been making snowboards better than their other products.

What's the name of the 2013 versions of the k2 Raygun and Flow Era?

·
Registered
884 Posts
K2 really has come a long ways to making a quality product from their Big 5 days. their boards, boots, and bindings are all good. you are getting what you pay for from them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
At that price look at last year's boards. K2 Raygun gets mentioned as a great beginner board you can grow into. Flow Era is also cheap, and all-mountainy.
Actually, from what I've seen from other people, the Era is more of a park board that can be taken outside of the park too. Wouldn't the Drifter be the better all mountain board from Flow?

The OP said that he's not looking into hitting the jumps or jibs that much, so perhaps the Era wouldn't be the best choice. I haven't had any personal experience with it (yet, I have the 2013 Era), I'm just going by what everybody else says. The Raygun and Drifter appear to be solid all mountain boards.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I found the Flow Era, appropriately sized, to be an all mountain inbounds board no problem. It's not that soft. The Flow Verve is the park board.

The Drifter is a more aggressive all mountain board, right? Haven't been on that but that's what I've seen. Not sure that's the greatest board to learn on.

You can ride a lunch tray at Bear mountain and Summit. The Era is more than capable of coming down most of Mammoth.

Cruising, getting your bearings learning to ride, I'd rather the softer board.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found the Flow Era, appropriately sized, to be an all mountain inbounds board no problem. It's not that soft. The Flow Verve is the park board.

The Drifter is a more aggressive all mountain board, right? Haven't been on that but that's what I've seen. Not sure that's the greatest board to learn on.

You can ride a lunch tray at Bear mountain and Summit. The Era is more than capable of coming down most of Mammoth.

This is true, the Verve is softer than the Era. From what I've read, the Verve is a little more for jibbing and rails, and the Era is a little more for jumps, and they are both great outside of the park too. The edge hold on Flow's is great from what I've read.

I'd rather have a soft ride to learn on too. I guess it's just preference.

From what I've felt, the Era is plenty soft enough to press on. I mean sure it's not as soft as the Verve (never been on a Verve) or a typical jib stick, but I'd say it's maybe on the softer side of medium. To each his own though.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I suggest you take a look to see if anything interests you at sportchalet.

I bought some boots and tt30 bindings for $50 less than anything else i could find on the net… & I searched everywhere!

http://www.sportchalet.com/nav/p/category/winter/snowboarding/*/on+sale/true/n/4294967274.do

Boards, Bindings, & Boots ON SALE until tomorrow I believe..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol what are jibs?

Thanks for all the help everyone! I like those bindings you sent kaborkian!

Right now, I don't have much time to check out the links to much, but I will later on tonight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lol what are jibs?

Thanks for all the help everyone! I like those bindings you sent kaborkian!

Right now, I don't have much time to check out the links to much, but I will later on tonight.

is there something particular youre looking for in the boots, bindings and boards?

If sportchalet has them for sale, that's the place to buy, just curious because I was going to help you look there.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Jibs are rails and boxes and anything else you can kind of slide on.

Just get a good all-mountain freestyle board and you'll be good. At your weight 150-152 would be the most I'd be on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts