Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like a board which this rocker profile, which of these 3 is the best?
When you trim some of the detail, they have similar shape and specs.
Prices are within ~$100 of each other, so which is the best bang for your buck

30.yo. 10yr experienced 160lbs rider, wont be doing airs, want stable and responsive, with some forgiveness. This board will be used in less than stellar conditions in Vermont, when there is enough coverage for advanced trails to officially be open but far from excellent conditions. I took some test rides on a T Rice HP on an advanced trail and didn't like it.

GNU Metal Guru
GNU F Bailey Space Case
Lib Attack Banana
anything missing from the list?

·
Registered
545 Posts
what was it about the t.rice u didnt like? too soft/stiff? what would u like more out of ur board?

for more stability and hard charging response maybe look at next years hot knife or dark series with c3btx. essentially the same cam/rock/cam profile but with more camber than rocker so it will be responsive and versatile through ice/hardpack conditions and strong in the crud/shallow pow. essentially a little more aggressive than the t.rice.

the attack banana has ec2btx which again is basically the same but with more of an eliptical camber to make it a little more forgiving than the c2btx profile featured on the t.rice u demoed.

cant comment much on GNU as i havent had much experience with them.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
what was it about the t.rice u didnt like? too soft/stiff? what would u like more out of ur board?

for more stability and hard charging response maybe look at next years hot knife or dark series with c3btx. essentially the same cam/rock/cam profile but with more camber than rocker so it will be responsive and versatile through ice/hardpack conditions and strong in the crud/shallow pow. essentially a little more aggressive than the t.rice.

the attack banana has ec2btx which again is basically the same but with more of an eliptical camber to make it a little more forgiving than the c2btx profile featured on the t.rice u demoed.

cant comment much on GNU as i havent had much experience with them.
+1 I think the boards you selected really don't fit you're riding style or conditions. Id second the darker and add the Billy ego gen and phoenix/Lando. Don't limit your self to mervyn unless you're getting a deal.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
+1 I think the boards you selected really don't fit you're riding style or conditions. Id second the darker and add the Billy ego gen and phoenix/Lando. Don't limit your self to mervyn unless you're getting a deal.
Nah, screw all those aggressive boards, the Hot Knife was a much better suggestion - as would be the Emma P.
But agree that the OP's list did not make sense.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would go with the Attack Banana. The Guru and Attack are fairly similar rides, except the Guru is quite a bit softer. For the money you are getting a better core that will hold up better over time.

The Attack and Space Case are quite different. The Case is an A.S.S. Pickle, basically recycled 1990ish technology. The core, sidecuts and shape are assymetrical. This helps balance out the performance of the board between toe and heel edge, to make up for the limitations of the human body. A neat idea that has caught fire in the industry. A lot of companies are jumping on the bandwagon and knocking off these old designs, while adding new twists. At the end of the day assymetric boards died for a reason. I would only reccomend the Case if you have the chance to try before you buy. Otherwise go Attack.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was able to ride through anything on the T Rice HP and it held a line like no other board when I really pushed it. I rode it for a good part of the day on a very challenging trail, over and over again. However, I felt it rode similar to one of my 'old', (still) stiff, full camber, from the late '90s Solomon. Trice HP and 90s Solomon are obviously not the same boards, but just a comparison from personal experience. I felt the camber grab in more then I wanted on the Rice HP. No complaints from me about the stiff/dampness of the board. It was the wrong size for me at 161 as there was too much effective edge.

So, I wouldn’t go the direction of more camber like C3 (and doubtful even C2 unless I try out somehting more appropriate in the 153-156 range) and was therefore looking into the EC2 rocker profile. I am presently riding boards that are either 1) flat with some rocker in the tip and tail (Nitro) or 2) camber in the middle with rockered ends (Rossignol).

I want to ride this EC2 board on trails where I need to make turns, so want some camber (unlike my above boards), but forgiving so that I can finesse through turns yet not overly grab-in when there is little margin for error like when riding through the tight woods. I am looking at 12/13 boards not ’14 for cost reasons.

Thanks!

·
Registered
600 Posts
So many boards out there than just Mervin, you're really limiting yourself but having said that have you looked into the Lib TRS?

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I just don't think you like Mervins Magne.

Look at the K2 Turbo Dream, Flow Drifter or Rush, Salomon Mans Board, Nitro Team Gullwing, Bataleon Goliath, or a Yes Greats.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Look at the K2 Turbo Dream, Flow Drifter or Rush, Salomon Mans Board, Nitro Team Gullwing, Bataleon Goliath, or a Yes Greats.
+1 on the turbo dream. not quite the profile u were inquiring about but definitely one that fits ur description. it has k2 all terrain rocker (flat underfoot, rockered tip and tail) with a 3/4" setback. rides incredibly smooth and turns on a dime. easy to maneuver through trees and plows over the top of any crud.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted by Nivek

Look at the K2 Turbo Dream , Flow Drifter or Rush, Salomon Mans Board, Nitro Team Gullwing, Bataleon Goliath, or a Yes Greats.

+1 on the turbo dream. not quite the profile u were inquiring about but definitely one that fits ur description. it has k2 all terrain rocker (flat underfoot, rockered tip and tail) with a 3/4" setback. rides incredibly smooth and turns on a dime. easy to maneuver through trees and plows over the top of any crud.
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions, but I'm already set with flat rockered and rocker/cam/rocker boards- which have Magnetraction (are Rossi). I like the boards I have in these categories and really all set with what I have.

I’m just looking to add some more bite to a board but felt that the TRice HP wanted to be on edge more then I wanted it to.

I see the Flow and Nitro suggested above have a similar profile to what I have been mentioning. Does anyone know specifically how they compare? i.e does the Flow and Gullwing line up more to the C2, C3, or EC2? Do these companies publish the height specs on the rocker and camber measurements?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’m just looking to add some more bite to a board but felt that the TRice HP wanted to be on edge more then I wanted it to.
I'm still going Attack on this one. The Attack is softer in torsional flex than the TRice. The stiffer a board is torsionally the more the board will feel like it wants to be on edge all the time. The Mag blend on the Attack is also a little mellower than the blend on the TRice, less edge bite. Lastly is the profile difference between C2 and EC2. C2 boards are radial camber while the EC2 boards have an eliptical shape. This translates to less pressure at the outside contact points on the EC2 boards.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I haven't ridden an EC2 board that didn't feel squishy in the tips. They limit you to a skate style pop. Load up the tail and they just fold.

The Nitro Team is a good all mountain freestyle deck. So it's a little torsionally softer and lively. The Drifter is a little bit more in bounds all mountain focused. So stiffer torsional and a little more damp. In my experience they both have tons of grip and the rocker camber profiles they use are well dialed. Gullwing is most similar to EC2 and I-Rock is a mellowed out version that sits somewhere between EC2 and C2.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the all the input. I might order 2 (different model and different sizes) and dump one as used after I try them in the early season. I don't think I would be taking a huge loss selling at '12 model used, hopefully.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts