Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am trying to pick between those two helmets:

The fit is good, the price identical, and they are the same model with relatively minor aesthetic differences. I am set on black.

The first one has a more contrast especially with the vent open.. and I still not sure if the green looks cool or cheesy.

My jacket is green, albeit a very different kind of green:

and I am also wearing bright orange pants

I kind of need to place my order in under 17 hours so I would much appreciate some comments.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They both weigh the same as they're both '15 Vantage's.

I recently had the same 1st world problem as you mate and decided on the "black sabotage."

FWIW the green Koroyd was too bright for my liking (when you see it in real life you'll understand), also I didn't like how much the chrome Smith logo stood out.

Stealth FTW.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I went to many stores in Tokyo yesterday, and couldn't find a single "Black Sabotage" (the second one) on display. The green on the "Matte Black" definitely stood out, and I wasn't sure if that is what people strive to do when selecting snowboard gear or if that green kinda make you look like an insect / alien of sort haha.

Is the Black Sabotage black or a very dark grey (on the photo posted it looks a bit less dark than the Matte Black). And if it is not too much trouble can I see a photo of the back of the helmet? After lots of Googling, I couldn't for the life of me find one online. The pattern on the lower right is different and I was wondering if it extends to the back too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha. Well, functionally and fit wise, I am sticking to this model. I am also sticking to black because it won't get visibly as dirty as other colour. But if I am going to spend this much money I guess I might as well try to look the least of an ass of the two ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's definitely a matte black, the internet photo is a little deceptive - I wondered the same thing too before I bought mine.

The sticker is gloss black, and looks good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like the 2nd one (without the green).

I think they are both pretty ugly, but IMO Smith helmets are the most comfortable and have the best function of the main brands... That's why I have one. I tried on some better looking helmets (Bern & Anon), but they weren't half as comfy, and no adjustable vents or boa system.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I own and use the smith vantage in matte black. I was torn between the matte and sabotage too but ended up getting the matte b/c it was available before the sabotage was. I would agree that smith helmets are not the most stylish out there but they are SUPER comfy. I've tried other helmets (Bern, Giro, POC) and NONE fit as well as smith.

The green pops out but it only shows when the vents are open and even then...its not really that noticeable.

You're not a good snowboarder unless you look good. Go with the sabotage. You know you want it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I did end up going with the Sabotage. It is comfortable which is why I got it in the first place, but as I run unusually hot I must say that even with the vent open it feels pretty hot on a sunny day. Probably would be the same or worse with any other helmet though.

A bigger concern is that my goggles (Oakley Airbrake) feels a too tight on my face using with the helmet. Not sure if this is something that can be fixed. I really don't want to spend money on new goggles when those work perfectly fine and hasn't even seen that much use..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts