Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I’ve read a lot of forums to help me decide which board should I buy, but the more I read, the more I’m undecided!!

I want to buy a second board, which I know will be an upgrade from my Flow Merc bought 5 seasons ago. I skied between 20-60 days every year with it. It’s old and full of repairs, but it does the job in most occasions and I plan to keep riding with it. So the new toy could be a powder-specific or a freeride-type board.
My riding style: I love powder days, steeps above tree-line and 180s/360s jumps while riding offpiste, I want to do more of that but the reality is that it’s maybe 50% max of my time in the mountains. The rest of the time, with family or lower-level friends, is side-piste on resorts and red/blacks pistes.

My 1st idea was to buy a Burton Fish. I tried the 2016 demo model last winter on a spring-like powder day and liked it, though I thought the stance was not big enough (their longest board is 156 and I ride normally 163). It was fun in the trees and pillows but this could be a problem when riding steeps above tree line and jumping above rocks imho.

So, I’m looking at 2 Jones boards which are reasonably priced at the moment, but can’t decide:

Hovercraft: from what I read, it’s great in powder, can handle steeps and does the job quite well on pistes. It’s got flex. 1st issue is that: its directional, so would be constrained when doing 180s. But the main drawback is that its only available in 164. I wonder if it’s not too long (I ride 163 wide), especially that they advise to go 6-7cm shorter.

Flagship: from what I read, more freeride oriented, but works in powder (low angle as well I suppose?). I suppose it’s what I would need for the 50% of the time I’m riding offpiste in Chamonix with avi equipment, etc. But for the rest of the time? I tried a freeride Volkl board last winter (the equivalent of a Custom according to the guy in the shop) on a resort day (mainly reds), and it was so stiff I could not even lift it when doing jumps or going at full speed…I certainly don’t want that

So this is where I stand…
Should I look elsewhere (open to suggestions) or the Hovercraft/Flagship could do the job?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
If you're wanting to throw a bunch of spins in powder, maybe something like the Salomon Sick Stick. 180s on a Hovercraft don't sound like much fun. I'm sure they're technically doable, but yeah, no thanks.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,380 Posts
Hmmm... I wouldn't just say the Flag works in pow, it's great in pow! I had awesome steep n deep days with that deck in alpine terrain. Tho it's not the board for you if you wanna ride switch in pow a lot... it has quite a setback, big rockered nose and quite a short stiff tail. Hub rides it switch occasionally but more as "emergency" rather than joy. It really shines at steep n deep, the faster the better, but also if you're into carving and riding fast on groomers. Forward direction :). Resort moguls will be pita and also for trees you'd rather go fore something else.

BTW: You'll find vids n pics in my blog which show how "well" (great!) the board performs in pow; haven't been to Chamonix yet, it's high up on my list every year... but I assume the terrain looks similar to ours, so it would be suitable playground)

IDK... I've read ppl saying that the hovy is fun on groomers. I didn't have that experience. It feels out of place there. Coarse, boring. And also that one is even more unidirectional. You probably look at the wrong boards here.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hmmm... I wouldn't just say the Flag works in pow, it's great in pow! I had awesome steep n deep days with that deck in alpine terrain. Tho it's not the board for you if you wanna ride switch in pow a lot... it has quite a setback, big rockered nose and quite a short stiff tail. Hub rides it switch occasionally but more as "emergency" rather than joy. It really shines at steep n deep, the faster the better, but also if you're into carving and riding fast on groomers. Forward direction :). Resort moguls will be pita and also for trees you'd rather go fore something else.
Based on my experience, I would second this assessment.

Can't comment on the other boards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. yeah, I like what Jeremy Jones does in general but I don't think I'll get one of its snowboard this time.
I'm looking at Bataleon now. The Jam or Omni.
Anyone has experience with those?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS: the Salomon sick stick looks really awesome, but not available in sale right now. The discounts at the moment are also guiding my choice...

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
PS: the Salomon sick stick looks really awesome, but not available in sale right now. The discounts at the moment are also guiding my choice...
The Salomon powder snake is almost carbon copy of the sick stick with less tech and not bamboo. Lots of sales on this board.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts