Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum Goers

I am hoping you can help me out. Me, My GF, My bro and his GF are all going out to Whistler for the coming season.

We got our visas sorted out in what was the debacle of MyCIC application process and are now looking to book flights and start doing some serious research.

Now the question of when to actually arrive in Whistler is very prominent. We all want to get jobs but first and foremost we want to secure some decent priced accommodation. So with that in mind what is the latest you can arrive in Whistler and still find something reasonable?

The job fair is in early October but seen as we probably won't work for the mountain and will get our passes ourselves we are not that bothered about missing this.

Really our main concern is getting somewhere to stay and then going from there. Can anyone offer advice from their experiences please it would be massively helpful?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Depends on your definition of reasonable.

You'll have a good selection of accommodation around October-November, from then onwards you'll notice the selection starts to shrink every week.

You can still usually find a decent place at the start of November to mid November though, but don't expect great deals during that time period since those will be snatched up quickly and there'll be a lot of competition for the better priced places.

From mid November onwards it gets very competitive for places because that's when all the uni students who finished exams will be arriving plus the season will have started so accommodation will suddenly go from decent to very slim pickings/overpriced in a short space of time.

If you're willing to pay more for the convenience of booking ahead then there are places like seasonit.co.uk that rent out rooms, but be warned you'll be paying $1k a month for a shared room (although in a nice house) whereas if you arrive early you can easily get your own room or even your own place for $1k a month.

Since there is a group of you going you also have the option of trying to do a chalet rental through one of the local companies and splitting the cost between your group. That way you could potentially have your own place for just the 4 of you.

Either way, earlier is always better when it comes to accommodation at ski resorts. The key is arrive before the season begins if you want good accommodation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jay

Thanks for that/ You confirm pretty much what i thought but it is good to read and get confirmation on this.

We thought we would have a decent chance of getting something for just the 4 of us as this is what my bro did when he did a season in Fernie with his friends. Is it really that unrealistic to get a four person house (2 beds) in Whistler?

Sounds like we need to get the flights booked and get out there pretty much early October but wow we'll be burning through cash just existing and that thought scares me.

Outside of seasonit etc. is there anyway to secure accomodation without paying too much?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hey Jay

Thanks for that/ You confirm pretty much what i thought but it is good to read and get confirmation on this.

We thought we would have a decent chance of getting something for just the 4 of us as this is what my bro did when he did a season in Fernie with his friends. Is it really that unrealistic to get a four person house (2 beds) in Whistler?

Sounds like we need to get the flights booked and get out there pretty much early October but wow we'll be burning through cash just existing and that thought scares me.

Outside of seasonit etc. is there anyway to secure accomodation without paying too much?
Not too unrealistic to get a four person house, especially if you're arriving as early as October. Just make sure you have references as that's a pretty standard requirement if you end up renting a house from one of the local rental agencies instead of direct from an owner.

Unfortunately there's not many real ways to secure accommodation ahead of time (without being there) outside of season rental places like SeasonIt. There's craigslist, but you really don't want to rent a place without seeing it first and signing a contract in person before handing over money because way too many people get scammed every year by fake ads, especially in resorts like Whistler.

What I'd suggest is you email seasonit.co.uk and ask if they have a couple of rooms for rent in October. That way you have a place to stay while you look for long term accommodation.

SeasonIt often rent out their rooms for cheap during the October/Nov period because their official winter guests don't usually arrive until December, so they typically have empty rooms just sitting there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks for that.

I will definetly get in contact with seasonit to see if they have some long term accomodation to get us started.

I had thought about the accomodation ahead of time thing but you're totally right there is no way i am signing anything let alone throwing money at someone without first seeing the place and knowing the person actually owns it. I guess it is a turn up and see approach then but your tip on the acommodation is a good one so thanks.

I wonder though if it might be better to turn up even later, say late december. Stay in some short term acco and then try and bag somewhere as people start to leave and get bored in Jan, as i have heard they do. Do you know if this is a viable alternative?

·
Registered
816 Posts
You'll basically be screwed if you arrive in late Dec (unless you had it booked before you arrived).

Most people who come and stay for just December stay in short term accom that wouldn't be available to you for long term rental anyway. Short term rentals are totally separate from the type of season/long term rental you're looking to find.

All the decent long term rentals are long gone by late December and even most of the expensive accommodation is grabbed up by late December.

You may not even have any accommodation listings left to call up if you arrive that late, especially if you're looking for someone offering a season lease (6 months).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, good to know, that plan is out.

We will go for October then and just sort it when we get there.

Thanks again for your help on this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again and as it happens i do have one more question :D

I notice a lot of talk about references for getting places in Canada but what if you don't have any previous rentals to get references? Should we make them up and if so do you know where one might find a template. Surely we cannot be the first people ever who haven't rented recently or ever (in the case of one of our party).

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It doesn't always have to be recently if you don't have a recent reference, I've old used references in the past and it was fine.

Landlords in Whistler usually like references because of the amount of college kids that come into town, rent a place, trash it or don't pay their rent, then leave the country without paying the bill. Many landlords have been burnt before so they require references.

If you're renting rooms inside a house they don't always ask for references, but if you're renting a house to share between your party you'll almost definitely be asked for references, especially if you rent from a real estate management company.

If one of your party doesn't have a reference I suppose you could always just leave them off the lease and just have the 3 of you sign the lease or you'll have to find someone who they can put as a reference of some sort, even if it's just a friend that they've stayed with in the past.

The fake reference is up to you, that's your own risk to take whether they check in on it (although admittedly they can't really check it if you just put a random friend as a reference).

·
Registered
816 Posts
There are a lot of companies like that in Whistler. It's basically the same as Seasonit.co.uk - a chalet company that rents out beds in a large house.

The problem is those season chalet company's are about twice as expensive as you'd normally pay if you arrived there and organized the accommodation yourself. So they're okay if you are fine with paying twice as much for the convenience of having accommodation sorted early, but if you're someone on a budget or trying to rent a whole chalet like the original poster it doesn't work out that well for your wallet.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Good to know. Are they worth getting for say a month so you have time to sort out your shit?

There are a lot of companies like that in Whistler. It's basically the same as Seasonit.co.uk - a chalet company that rents out beds in a large house.

The problem is those season chalet company's are about twice as expensive as you'd normally pay if you arrived there and organized the accommodation yourself. So they're okay if you are fine with paying twice as much for the convenience of having accommodation sorted early, but if you're someone on a budget or trying to rent a whole chalet like the original poster it doesn't work out that well for your wallet.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yeah they can be as long as you arrive before the season starts and still have a decent range of accom to choose from.

For example, I usually arrive in October or November before the season starts and stay in one of these places for a month while I sort out my season accommodation myself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once again a huge thanks to all of those who have lent me their wisdom.

I have one final question. As we are not sure if we will work or just doss it it makes sense to get th Early bird Pass which is about $250 cheaper. It also makes sense for us to buy asap as the GBP is up against the CAD with signs it will drop again. However, if we do get a job and get a pass thrown in can we get a refund for the pass bought on earlybird?

The official site says you cannot but other sites like rideonwhistler seem to suggest you can for an admin fee of $50. So basically can anyone tell me if th season pass is refundable if you buy it on early bird?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Once again a huge thanks to all of those who have lent me their wisdom.

I have one final question. As we are not sure if we will work or just doss it it makes sense to get th Early bird Pass which is about $250 cheaper. It also makes sense for us to buy asap as the GBP is up against the CAD with signs it will drop again. However, if we do get a job and get a pass thrown in can we get a refund for the pass bought on earlybird?

The official site says you cannot but other sites like rideonwhistler seem to suggest you can for an admin fee of $50. So basically can anyone tell me if th season pass is refundable if you buy it on early bird?
It used to be that if you bought a pass and got a job working for the mountain, they'd refund your pass. This only applied to jobs directly for Whistler Blackcomb though and you'll want to double check if they still do that.

Easiest way is to just email whistler blackcomb yourself, they have a whole section on employment/job on their website which you can find the contact details there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts