Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how early other resorts in California are opening, but Mammoth Mountain is set to open its lifts on November 7th at 8:00am.

Right now it looks to be a White Ribbon of Death kind of opening, with only one slope actually receiving snowmaking attention.

Check it out:

This one's actually kind of a cool pic:

And you can find my own, personal, independently written snow report on my website :)
Mammoth Mountain Snow Report | Mammoth Mountain

I do know that last year Mammoth Mountain had claim to fame because it had the most terrain open of any ski resort in North America. Hoping for more of the same this year, as I'm living there.

Let's see your White Ribbon of Death pics!!!
Are any other resorts doing this kind of thing?

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I've only been up 1 day, but our mountains are already covered, and the WROD's only lasted a week before they opened more lifts and trails.

This is the picture I took on day one of the WROD.

heres a couple shots from Luv's FB:

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
This was a hill 2 hrs from me.

tbh thats pretty rad slyder.

I have a feeling the shit you have to ride makes you one of the badassest of the old men around here(I include myself in that group).

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
tbh thats pretty rad slyder.

I have a feeling the shit you have to ride makes you one of the badassest of the old men around here(I include myself in that group).
This is why my quote of "ride what ya got" rings loud and true and thanks for the compliment !!!

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Holy shit. Mad props to those of you stuck riding shit like that. Not gonna lie, I wouldn't even bother. Y'all are more dedicated than me.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Now add 150 park rats and then me in that little patch. There are sometimes other dads there but no more than 3 of us is the most I counted 2 yrs back.

I didn't ride this year it was our Annual Halloween party, trying to find the pics of me on this last year. It was the same run, about the same number of features.

Believe it or not it is fun, I get winded hiking this most of the day, but still usually have a blast with my kids here.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
i'm no park rat...but....

Being able and willing to hike a feature (or just hike period) is important to calling yourself a snowboarder vs someone who has a snowboard in their garage, imo.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,458 Posts
Being able and willing to hike a feature (or just hike period) is important to calling yourself a snowboarder vs someone who has a snowboard in their garage, imo.
:thumbsup:
That very 1st quarter season of mine, right after my first lesson. I would go to one of the local Metro Parks, they had a "Quote" snowboard run! It was about 20 ft wide and no more than 75-100 yards long. Icy as hell. It was right next to the toboggan runs which was appropriate since this was only an extra wide toboggan run anyway.

Spent more than a couple days going back and falling my way down it, get to the bottom, unstrap, hike back up, fall my way down it again! Another closer park had a sledding hill that I would sometimes hit and do the same thing! Lots of huffing and puffing, stomping back up those hills in the snow!

Actually, I was thinking that this year I might hit that sled hill again and try building a small jump like I used to when I was a kid with my sleds! I could practice getting some small air (....read falling!) without looking like a complete scaredycat old fool and without the challenge of avoiding collisions with all the park rats and pink toddler meat missles! :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts