Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't. I'm wondering who on here doesn't wear these things?
I find a lot of people on the mountain that wear at least one thing for protection/safety purposes.

I'm absolutely not 'too cool' for pads or a helmet, I just can't really be bothered adding MORE shit to all the gear you already have to wear.

I'd like to get an idea if there are a lot of people who don't wear the stuff, or if I'm crazy?

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
Helmet - Yes!

Pads - Not since my first few weeks riding. ...and it was a DIY rig I put together after my first day on a snowboard ended with a "Hip Pointer" injury!
(...good thing too, cuz my second day I did the SAME freakin' thing! :blink::dizzy: )

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
i don't wear a helmet or pads. i've tried wearing a helmet for a season or two after a friend of mine died from hitting a tree, but i always felt kinda bobble-headed and always kinda noticed it was there. the worst injuries i've had have been while wearing the helmet - not that its the helmets fault - but i took it off.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i could have most definitely used something to protect my tailbone the first week or two of riding... i was hurting for months

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I just wear a helmet. Been doing that for years and it's way better than a beanie at keeping you warm. TBI's are no joke. Otherwise, all of that gear, including the helmet is up to you. I rode for a good 12 years without wearing a helmet. Certainly not needed, though I probably did suffer a slight concussion at least once that a helmet would have certainly mitigated. Stupid Onion roll jump....

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I wear a helmet but never pads. The helmet thing is not a big deal to me as I wear one daily/year round on horseback. Just began wearing one for snowboarding 3 seasons ago; never wore one in the early years. I do like the extra warmth it provides.

However since a rather stunning late-in-the-day-fatigued heel edge slam at slow speed on an icy flat last season, I'm considering sacrum/coccyx protection for those super icy days just in case. That pain is too excruciating.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don't wear a helmet or pads. i've tried wearing a helmet for a season or two after a friend of mine died from hitting a tree, but i always felt kinda bobble-headed and always kinda noticed it was there. the worst injuries i've had have been while wearing the helmet - not that its the helmets fault - but i took it off.
i got a bad concussion and broke my collarbone once from skateboarding and tried to wear a helmet for a few months after - and i felt the same as you. it always bothered me and i ended up taking it off and never wanting to wear it again

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Helmets aren't going to save you from brain damage above a certain speed. Something like 15 MPH. What they DO save you from are nasty cuts and scrapes on your head/face.

I grew up wearing one, but only do so now for branches in the trees. I kinda feel naked without it. I also hate wet goggles. I find your gogs get more wet when you lift them up on a beanie when its snowing.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
There are some pretty light helmets out there for riding now too. I'll admit to feeling the bobble head effect with some helmets I have used. The Salomon helmet I am using now is pretty damn light and I don't notice it. Again to each his own. I wouldn't buy without trying on first, for sure. Tree riding in Colorado is a lot more fun with helmets too. Thick tight branches? Put your head down and go...

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
It's a event risk x measure of damages x wearing discomfort calculation. Everyone weights these factors differently.

It's long since I had the last fall, not doing crazy jumps n stuff, prefer to keep in contact with the ground, thus for me the event risk is low, but I ride pretty fast, thus the measure of damage IN CASE of a crash for the head/spine is high enough for me to compensate for the little discomfort -> no pads, but helmet and backprotector.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I wear a helmet 80% of the time. Its warm and keeps my head and goggles dry when its dumping and has built in speakers. I wear Gform knee pads which are very sleek and have saved my knees many time. Plus when I stop and kneeling its a comfortable pad that protects from cold ice/snow and numerous small impacts from kneeling. I wear crash shorts for the pure comfort of being able to sit on a soft warm cushion. Has anyone been sitting on the ice/snow and it feel like you're butt is frozen???

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Helmet for sure. Took a tree limb to the dome at Vail a few years back that probably would have taken my head half off without a helmet. Never will ride without one again.

I know a lot of people say they don't ride with one because they don't like how it feels or whatever. It's all about finding the helmet that fits your dome the best. Everyone's head shape is different so there is no one best fitting helmet. Bern is my choice of brain bucket. Lowest profile and lightweight, fits like a glove.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wear a helmet when I hit the park. There have been too many times that my board has slid out from underneath me, and i've wacked the back of my head on a rail.

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
I've worn helmets for years when I played football and also when I owned a motorcycle. It wasn't even really a conscious decision with me. Just part of the kit.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Didn't wear one my first two years. Started to think about wearing one, buddy got a mild concussion with one on, so we decided to get one.

Because the mild concussion would have been a head crack without one (that's how hard he hit the ice)

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
I wear crash shorts for the pure comfort of being able to sit on a soft warm cushion. Has anyone been sitting on the ice/snow and it feel like you're butt is frozen???
I honestly never had the feeling that my butt was overly frozen while snowboarding. You sit on ice/snow, but then you move again and use the gluteal muscle. And the pants are insulated. No, really not. Maybe I'm just used to it. Try horseride daily at -10°C, with thin breeches, sitting on a leather saddle (gluteal muscle and knees not really active). THAT'S when the butt n knees really get frozen. Eatridesleep will know what I'm talking about :laugh:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I honestly never had the feeling that my butt was overly frozen while snowboarding. You sit on ice/snow, but then you move again and use the gluteal muscle. And the pants are insulated. No, really not. Maybe I'm just used to it. Try horseride daily at -10°C, with thin breeches, sitting on a leather saddle (gluteal muscle and knees not really active). THAT'S when the butt n knees really get frozen. Eatridesleep will know what I'm talking about :laugh:
LOL. I can imagine riding horses daily would really toughen the butt.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Yes to the helmet, no to the padding, for now. I've had a couple severe TBI's that would have killed me had I not been wearing a helmet. As for the padding, its only been an issue now that I have scarring on my knee's and elbow's from longboarding that hurt like a mofo when you land on them.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Yes to the helmet, no to the padding, for now. I've had a couple severe TBI's that would have killed me had I not been wearing a helmet. As for the padding, its only been an issue now that I have scarring on my knee's and elbow's from longboarding that hurt like a mofo when you land on them.
Hey, check out Gform knee and elbow pads! I use them when I longboard and down hill Mtn bike. There are some videos about them on YouTube. They aren't all bulky like most elbow and knee pads but provide good protection for those kind of sports.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts