Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden both sizes?
Im 180cm (5'10 half''), 86kg/190lbs, size 10 boot.
I have a 154 ME and i love it. i am wondering if i should get the 158 instead? I love riding trees and the 154 is perfect, catch free and turns so quickly, i need this .It manages powder but could be better. But is ok in pow. The only real problem i have with the 154 and im wondering if its because its a bit too small for me is the tip digs in and i go cartwheeling. This happens if im ripping the moguls and the tip hits the rising front of a mogul thats a little too steep, or if i ride through a little ditch and the tip digs in. Ive never had a board do this before. is it the ME ? would 4cm longer fix this? BUT ..and this is the deal breaker, i do not want to loose the agility in trees. Thats where i love to be and love making quick turns in steep and tight trees. would a 158 loose agility ? would it fix the tip digging in and improve float?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have not been on either deck ( though I would like to demo one )

Therefore, for what it's worth:

You have identified the trade off and you are spot on. Longer decks have more swing weight and therefore less agile.

You asked two questions:

Would a 158 be less agile = YES
Would a 158 help with tip dig and improve float = YES

Looks to me like you are staying on the 154.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its hard to give up that agility. but if the 158 is very close and gives a little more float then that should work. i was hoping to take advantage of summer prices. But i need to demo one first. that will not be possible because i want to old shape. 2023 the shape is going from rocker to camber. that will not work for me. im a rocker guy. I need old stock. That board is a great loose tree board, its ok on groomers, can carve a bit too.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I've owned both and you're definitely right in the middle where either size could work, but I'd steer you towards the bigger one. You already know that the shape provides you plenty of float for the 154 length, but the spoon shape of the tip/tail and lifted contact points make all sizes more nimble than they would be otherwise. It's not that wide and has plenty of setback and taper, so you can still whip it around in tighter trees. My buddy is close to your size but maybe 10lbs heavier, and now owns my old 158.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've owned both and you're definitely right in the middle where either size could work, but I'd steer you towards the bigger one. You already know that the shape provides you plenty of float for the 154 length, but the spoon shape of the tip/tail and lifted contact points make all sizes more nimble than they would be otherwise. It's not that wide and has plenty of setback and taper, so you can still whip it around in tighter trees. My buddy is close to your size but maybe 10lbs heavier, and now owns my old 158.
thanks mate, it sounds like a 158 would work well for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
5'9" 155 pounds and a 154 ME was PERFECT for me. 158 with surf rocker sounds like it would be perfect for you. That being said, I can't confirm if Jones is CHANGING the rocker on the ME to a hybrid camber next season, or selling both versions. I agree the the surf rocker has a very specialized "slower speed, powder in trees" niche, but damn this board is REALLY FUN on those kinda' days. I'm bummed it's getting a makeover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5'9" 155 pounds and a 154 ME was PERFECT for me. 158 with surf rocker sounds like it would be perfect for you. That being said, I can't confirm if Jones is CHANGING the rocker on the ME to a hybrid camber next season, or selling both versions. I agree the the surf rocker has a very specialized "slower speed, powder in trees" niche, but damn this board is REALLY FUN on those kinda' days. I'm bummed it's getting a makeover.
ive got nearly 40lbs on you so it sounds like the 158 should be ok. most people are saying it will work. im only interested in the older model ME. i dont want any camber which the new ME is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I imagine this year's ME is very different though with the revised s-camber profile
yes it is, i dont want this years. i really like the loose surfy feel of the older model so im sticking with that shape. there are not many left for sale in 158, in canada

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not been on either deck ( though I would like to demo one )

Therefore, for what it's worth:

You have identified the trade off and you are spot on. Longer decks have more swing weight and therefore less agile.

You asked two questions:

Would a 158 be less agile = YES
Would a 158 help with tip dig and improve float = YES

Looks to me like you are staying on the 154.
I have reserved a 158 and will pick it up in Aug. However, i might ride it once and never ride it again if its too slow in the trees for me. We will see. Maybe what i have is best, a 154 ME for trees and all mountain. and the Rossi Sushi for the big pow days.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Has anyone ridden both sizes?
Im 180cm (5'10 half''), 86kg/190lbs, size 10 boot.
I have a 154 ME and i love it. i am wondering if i should get the 158 instead? I love riding trees and the 154 is perfect, catch free and turns so quickly, i need this .It manages powder but could be better. But is ok in pow. The only real problem i have with the 154 and im wondering if its because its a bit too small for me is the tip digs in and i go cartwheeling. This happens if im ripping the moguls and the tip hits the rising front of a mogul thats a little too steep, or if i ride through a little ditch and the tip digs in. Ive never had a board do this before. is it the ME ? would 4cm longer fix this? BUT ..and this is the deal breaker, i do not want to loose the agility in trees. Thats where i love to be and love making quick turns in steep and tight trees. would a 158 loose agility ? would it fix the tip digging in and improve float?
I’ve got a 166 ME, with the taper on that deck I’d go 158, your size 10 back foot will need to be on one hell of an angle to fit the 154

·
Registered
162 Posts
You guys can really tell the difference of 4 cm when riding? That's less than 2 inches. I go 100kg and I sure couldn't if I did a blind test of the same board model.with 4 cm difference. Maybe being lighter is more sensitive to this. .

·
Registered
238 Posts
You guys can really tell the difference of 4 cm when riding? That's less than 2 inches. I go 100kg and I sure couldn't if I did a blind test of the same board model.with 4 cm difference. Maybe being lighter is more sensitive to this. .
I think 4 cm is pretty significant on a snowboard. When I switch from my 156 to 159 (the boards have similar widths), I immediately notice the added length when turning, albeit they are different models. I still think 4 cm on the same model is very noticeable.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think 4 cm is pretty significant on a snowboard. When I switch from my 156 to 159 (the boards have similar widths), I immediately notice the added length when turning, albeit they are different models. I still think 4 cm on the same model is very noticeable.
Ok. I've demoed same model boards in 4 cm jumps and really don't feel it. I usually ride 164 and bigger though. Must be different in shorter boards.

·
Registered
643 Posts
4cm can feel massive depending on the conditions, tight trees, moguls, technical lines grabbing a deck that’s too long has ruined my day a few times. In the ME I think it would be ok as it’s pretty setback

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am 190lbs also with 10.5 boots.
I’m leaning toward the 162 over the 158 because of the back foot width on that board. I am used to long stiff board with camber… the mind expender in 162 would probably be a lot more playful than my other boards, like my Cafe racer 164 for exemple. It would be my first rocker board. What do you guys think about it ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts