Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
That’s why it I were to buy one it would be dedicated to soft groomers and powder days. Which fortunately in Utah is normally the two scenarios. When I lived in the north east I doubt a korua would get much proper use. Anyone know is they ever do demo days in the US?

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I were to find a downside of my CR 59 (apart from the obvious ones like bad switch), it would be icy moguls and being rather twitchy due to the very rapid initiation if you lose your balance and push strong on the front foot like you say rather than being hard to ini.
Thats why I have a Supernaut. Best board ever on concrete snow and bulletproof ice. Can hold a edge were other boards fail. One of my all time favorites.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thats why I have a Supernaut. Best board ever on concrete snow and bulletproof ice. Can hold a edge were other boards fail. One of my all time favorites.
I haven’t been on any Fullbag yet. The Supernaut is a solid board for sure (looks very similar to Korua Tranny Finder) but if I were to pay all the shipping and taxes and the full price, I’d grab the Diamond Blade for sure.

As far as my CR 59 is concerned, I don’t really find it lacking grip on ice. I’d call it 4/5 edge hold when my Amplid Unw8 is like 5/5 (Pentaquark and Nitro Pantera should be also top but I’m yet to take them out, they all beat the CR with the effective edge). It’s just twitchy in icy moguls when you lose balance because the board is very turny (not like Yes Optimistic). At my stats and my riding style I’d call Koruas very turny if you drive it from the front. Putting the pressure on the front foot to initiate the turn works on any board but I haven’t been on a board that it’s so apparent as on the CR.

For the perspective I’d take my CR 10/10 times to ride on ice over my Mercury or Kazu I had even though technically they have the same EE.

@JDA has Endeavor Archetype too and my 160W Archetype has a similar grip level to the Cafe Racer 159 for me (obviously it’s easier to overpower the tail).
I think the torsional flexibility of the Dart’s tail might be the factor.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah I would think the 156 is a lot to throw back-and-forth with that size boot that’s why I’m leaning towards 152 if I get one
Yeah on soft snow it's no issue, I weigh 86kg so went for the 156 and I already have a 148 skipjack and 151 simple pleasures so the Dart is my big fish.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've heard some criticism (though maybe criticism would be slightly too strong a word) that Korua bases aren't amazing (talking about the 4000 sintered bases of the regular white boards). What do you guys think? I've only barely ridden my TF, not enough to have a view on it really.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've heard some criticism (though maybe criticism would be slightly too strong a word) that Korua bases aren't amazing (talking about the 4000 sintered bases of the regular white boards). What do you guys think? I've only barely ridden my TF, not enough to have a view on it really.
Typical sintered bases for me, like Yes, Endeavor, Amplid, Salomon, Rossi, Niche etc. Can’t complain. So far Capitas are the fastest I’ve been on (edge bevel plus structure). I’ve heard that K2 stand out as well, I’m gonna try Simple Pleasures next month.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Typical sintered bases for me, like Yes, Endeavor, Amplid, Salomon, Rossi, Niche etc. Can’t complain. So far Capitas are the fastest I’ve been on (edge bevel plus structure). I’ve heard that K2 stand out as well, I’m gonna try Simple Pleasures next month.
Had you not mentioned it I would have not thought it over a realized, yes my K2 PP glides very nicely! However on further consideration, my Nitro glides better. Im pretty sure the K2 Enjoyers come with a stone grind.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I suppose the other question is (not necessarily limited to Korua, but any board where the base is perhaps not as fast as you might like), would having a stone grind/structure put into the base make it noticeably better?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I suppose the other question is (not necessarily limited to Korua, but any board where the base is perhaps not as fast as you might like), would having a stone grind/structure put into the base make it noticeably better?
I think structure really matters in the slush and soft snow. Boards without structure feel like they are velcroed to the snow, and can be very sticky and slow. Structure breaks up the suction and lets the board glide again. I'd rather have a stone ground extruded base than a waxed sintered base in the Spring for sure.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
I plan to have all my boards structured this year which is something I haven’t bothered to do in the past.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Both my K2 boards have a structured base and they are very fast. I did notice my Dart dries out a little faster than others but its nothing major.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fastest board I have ridden in terms of the base was a Capita that had way more base structure than anything I have seen before or since. Most noticeable on flat sections and like WigMar said, slush and soft snow. For what it costs I think its worth it to get a base structure added, particularly if you ride not so steep mountains and/or are feeling that its slow.

Another thing to be aware of when comparing base speeds is the camber profile and the edge bevel. The Capita had rockered tips and a 1.5 degree base edge so there was very little drag to slow the board down. The contact points are lifted so its really only the middle of the board that is pressing down on the snow. A fully cambered board with a 0 degree edge but the exact same base would be slower for example. Korua have plenty rocker in the nose and a 0.5 degree base edge so should be fast enough if properly waxed and very fast with a base structure added.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the helpful replies! I think I'd like to get my TF structured (will leave my Warpig alone) but I suppose it's about finding somewhere that does it and will do a good job rather than some random bum that works in a shop and will just "have a go". I live thousands of miles from any mountains and there is only one snowboard shop near me in the nearby snowdome, so that would be the only place I could get it done locally. The other option would be to do it when I go to a resort in the Alps/Canada etc where I know that the guys do it regularly and will do a good job.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would recommend the latter. Theres not much of that sort of knowhow in the UK. I know a good place in Glasgow but I'm guessing you're down south near Tamworth or Milton Keynes. A good bet is to go to a ski service place in the Alps, they know stuff about base tuning and boot fitting that is way beyond the knowledge in 99% of snowboard shops. Maybe look for a skier in race training gear and ask where is good?

201 - 220 of 226 Posts