Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

681 - 700 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looks super interesting! I'd have to try one before buying though, it looks similar to my old Arbor Terrapin and that board was a complete :poop: once you got out of the pow.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Looks super interesting! I'd have to try one before buying though, it looks similar to my old Arbor Terrapin and that board was a complete :poop: once you got out of the pow.
Doesn't it? Trying to wrap my mind around it. I consider the Terrapin very short for me at 145 cm. This thing is 129 cm and 33 waist. Like riding a coffee table I guess. Or maybe a skateboard. I find myself liking short stuff like this surfing pipe or in tight trees, and disliking short everywhere else.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Doesn't it? Trying to wrap my mind around it. I consider the Terrapin very short for me at 145 cm. This thing is 129 cm and 33 waist. Like riding a coffee table I guess. Or maybe a skateboard. I find myself liking short stuff like this surfing pipe or in tight trees, and disliking short everywhere else.
It looks like a coffee table. Saw the previous one in a shop in Chamonix and looked just like one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i see! have you tried email Jones or just let it go? I just let the shop guy stone grind it. After grinding it definitely less obvious but still can feel the bumps there:((
By no means these bumps will affect riding, but they just bugging me haha
Doesn't bother me and I sort of expect stuff like this from Jones so I just let it go. Build quality isn't what it used to be anymore. I've found defects/poor quality in allmost all my boards since the early 2000's. Delamination, airbubbles in the topsheet, bumps under inserts and edges that's not glued proper..

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Isn't that the entire point of the board though? It's not really a groomer board at all and they pretty much say as such.

These boards are deep day pow boards. Riding it on anything other than 4-6+ inch snow sounds terrifying!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Isn't that the entire point of the board though? It's not really a groomer board at all and they pretty much say as such.

These boards are deep day pow boards. Riding it on anything other than 4-6+ inch snow sounds terrifying!
Yes but I would take a step further and say its a board for heli-boarding only. Even navigating to the next stash was sketchy AF, I thought I was going to die just getting off the lift. The board requires deep bottomless pow and nothing in-between.

I'm sure the Korua is different though because they are claiming its great on piste too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I saw some Korua guys riding it at Hintertux glacier this summer on slushy groomers and they were looking good (Wolken more that the others to be fair). It looks crazy close up, particularly with bindings on so you see how much width there is beyond the feet.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yes but I would take a step further and say its a board for heli-boarding only. Even navigating to the next stash was sketchy AF, I thought I was going to die just getting off the lift. The board requires deep bottomless pow and nothing in-between.

I'm sure the Korua is different though because they are claiming its great on piste too.
The arbor rep I talked to said he only takes it out in the mornings on days with deep fresh snow.

So I'm not at all surprised that it's not suited for 'all mountain' riding between stashes. You're supposed to ride it in fresh snow everywhere!

·
Registered
123 Posts
And it`s gonna stay cold for some time it seems :) Where was this?
Yeahs, this spring makes up for a bad winter ✌🏻This was Ruten in Heim kommune, straight after Orkanger. Not the best spot for splitting, to much up and down in the start so you have to ski much more than other spots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay... just hit the button on a Pencil 164... was a tough call between that and the Cafe Racer, but I think for my current riding abilities (advanced in general, but probably only a beginner-to-intermediate carver) the Pencil will still be great on groomers, and it's probably a bit more versatile when it comes to powder and side hits.

Can't wait to try it out! STOKED!
Thinking about pulling the trigger on the Pencil. Curious how you like it?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quick edit on my 59 Pencil riding the mini park at our local hill. During the final week of our season here, back at the end of March. Didn't ride park as much this season, so was nice to get some laps at the end of it. We only really had ~2 months of a season around here, due to multiple lockdowns 😔.

And as mentioned before, the Pencil is one of the best boards I've been on to date, personally. More versatile than it looks; an amazing board for turning esp in softer conditions. Looking forward to the slightly revamped TF54 next winter, as it'll have almost identical specs to the 59 Pencil but in a shorter length.

681 - 700 of 700 Posts