Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am a 65 yr old 6' 1" 200 lbs lifelong longboard goofy foot surfer and 25 yr snowboarder. Super wide feet 4E and 11.5 boot using a burton ruler wide( Soft boot). I Only stick to carving blue groomers these days and have decided on the korua cafe racer or pencil just don't know the best size. I currently ride a Ride TMS 161 which is now 6-8 seasons old Question is .............. is the 159 to short or the 164 to tall. Are these boards sized up or down
They're not sized down but they are pretty wide. Notice that the Pencil 164 and the Cafe Racer 159 is basically much the same board spec wise. They have a different camber version but otherwise are just the same board. The 164 Cafe Racer is wider and it has less taper.

If you want less taper and the wider board I'd go with the 164 Cafe Racer. I don't think you'll be bothered with the length. It's more if the width will bother you. There's almost a whole cm difference in taper between the 159 and the 164.

I'm about 95-100 kg and ride the Pencil plus 164 (same width as the 159 Cafe Racer). You can really feel the taper and the width of it. Once on edge the width isn't a problem even for my 8,5 boots. I sometimes wish that it had just a bit less taper though.

Unless you are going to ride powder I don't think there's a question about picking the Cafe Racer (I have only been on the Pencil, but I don't see a reason not picking the full camber Cafe Racer for carving).

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I am a 65 yr old 6' 1" 200 lbs lifelong longboard goofy foot surfer and 25 yr snowboarder. Super wide feet 4E and 11.5 boot using a burton ruler wide( Soft boot). I Only stick to carving blue groomers these days and have decided on the korua cafe racer or pencil just don't know the best size. I currently ride a Ride TMS 161 which is now 6-8 seasons old Question is .............. is the 159 to short or the 164 to tall. Are these boards sized up or down
Email the guys at Korua, they’re helpful. At 175lbs they suggested I ride the CR 159.

·
Registered
636 Posts
A friend I ride with is in your weight range and got the 59 Cafe Racer at the start of last winter. Ended up becoming his DD and fell in love with it. Rips with it no problem. We ride in East Coast/Ontario, where it's mainly hard packed conditions and hills, for perspective.

He has since added the 59 Cafe Racer + and a 64 Pencil. So think the 59 would be a solid choice for the riding you described, 64 if you want to be a super charged rocket. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
New board from Korua Shapes... "Bullet Train Plus".

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Thats a pretty cool board. I'd be into it if they made it in the classic line. Honestly I like the look of the CR better, I hope this doesn't replace it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I got to take out the Sims last weekend and I was very happy with how it rode. I hope you're just as stoked on the banker! I was thinking about Flux XF for myself but I wanted one binding for the quiver and thought they might be a little too aggressive for my other boards. So my Katanas should be here tomorrow!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yo people!

I'm a soon to be a owner of the Korua Dart 152, I have a question for the owners of Korua boards regarding the length of the board.

Im 145 lbs and and foot size 27cm - can't get out out of my head if I ordered a small board, mainly because of the board width.

Regarding the style of riding I mostly prefer carving and quick more aggressive turns so that's the main reason I went with the 152 length, figured out it would be easier to get it on the edge.

Any opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I ride the Pencil and it's basically the same specs as the Dart 156. I have 265 mm feet. I weight 35 kg more than you though.

I think for crossunder carves the smaller version might be more nimble, but for crossover it's no big deal having the wider one. Less chance of toe drag if you're into really low carves.

I have a feeling the smaller 152 is going to ride different than the 156. The 156 has way more taper. I don't have the width over the inserts for the 152 but I can measure my Pencil which would be the same as the Dart 156 if you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick answer bro!

I might still have a chance for canceling the order, the main thing that bothers me know is the toe/heel drag probability...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Ask the Korua guys for advice. My guess is that you would probably be fine on the one you bought but personally I would probably have gone with the larger model even if you’re light.

I guess it depends on how you ride. The width of the large model is one reason I find it a chore to ride in busy resorts. When the conditions are right the width is just fine and it’s not slow at all. The large taper also makes it want launch itself into the turns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea I guess the width of the 156 board helped my final decision of swapping the 152 for 156 at the end, I do work as an instructor so a busy resort is a common thing, but I'll manage somehow, better to have a busy resort than a boot drag :D.

Thanks a lot again for your response, I searched all over the internet for someone who has experience with the 152 but all in vain, your info helped a lot tho.

Cheers again bro, all the best and lots of snow! Cant wait to shred my new Korua! :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yea I guess the width of the 156 board helped my final decision of swapping the 152 for 156 at the end, I do work as an instructor so a busy resort is a common thing, but I'll manage somehow, better to have a busy resort than a boot drag :D.

Thanks a lot again for your response, I searched all over the internet for someone who has experience with the 152 but all in vain, your info helped a lot tho.

Cheers again bro, all the best and lots of snow! Cant wait to shred my new Korua! :)
I think you made the right decision. Nicholas Wolken rides the 160.

Jealous of the stoke you are about to get when you get the board. No board I've held, looked at or tried (so far) has given me as much stoke as my Korua.

Other boards are a bit "meh" next to my Pencil.

Have fun!

61 - 80 of 120 Posts