Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
841 - 860 of 977 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Can anyone walk me through how different the otto is vs boards like the TF and Stealth when it comes to carving? I know the otto is a compromise and the most freestyle friendly board they offer, but can anyone that's more familiar with their line point out what exactly you give up with the board in terms of carving performance?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can anyone walk me through how different the otto is vs boards like the TF and Stealth when it comes to carving? I know the otto is a compromise and the most freestyle friendly board they offer, but can anyone that's more familiar with their line point out what exactly you give up with the board in terms of carving performance?
The tail, TF and Stealth have classical freeride sturdy tails, Otto has freestyle tail which is slightly shorter and a bit stiffer than the nose, not a big difference though, TF and S are proper directional boards, one can shift more weight towards tails on these two boards compared to Otto

·
Registered
69 Posts
Look like there are two different TF's: Tranny Finder and Transition Finder. Originally I wanted the Tranny Finder with 324mm nose and 293mm tail. I received the Transition Finder with 316mm nose and 298mm tail. The taper is reduced from 31mm to 18mm. I felt like they gave me a throwaway piece because this board is nowhere to be found on Korua's website. There is a Transition Finder listed under their splitboard section but I don't have a splitboard type.

Emailed Korua about it. They said:

We don't have throwaway pieces and we don't work with seasonal products. They are passovers each season. But the Tranny Finders got sold out at one moment. So we changed the name to Transition Finder and made a slightly small change in de noses width for the next production badge. Boards at Korua don't loose value. I still ride the Tranny Finder over the Transiition Finder because I need that extra Taper and width in the nose.

hopefully I could give you a little more insight on this

Kind regards
Lino
So it was a surprise and I'm not upset. It rides nicely and the extreme taper sensation is gone. Switch feels great too.

However, what if another customer wanted the extra taper? Just a heads-up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Some people talked about it in this thread I think. Also, there was only one size with that crazy tapper, bigger and smaller addition were more reasonable (true for other shapes too).

I don't know if I like it or not... It's probably more efficient, but is it ever why you buy Korua?

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Look like there are two different TF's: Tranny Finder and Transition Finder. Originally I wanted the Tranny Finder with 324mm nose and 293mm tail. I received the Transition Finder with 316mm nose and 298mm tail. The taper is reduced from 31mm to 18mm. I felt like they gave me a throwaway piece because this board is nowhere to be found on Korua's website. There is a Transition Finder listed under their splitboard section but I don't have a splitboard type.

Emailed Korua about it. They said:

So it was a surprise and I'm not upset. It rides nicely and the extreme taper sensation is gone. Switch feels great too.

However, what if another customer wanted the extra taper? Just a heads-up.

That's the new version of the Tranny Finder... now named Transition Finder. You got the new version that has been really hard to find :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #848 ·
Cmon we all want to hear. My finger has been on the trigger for a cafe racer for two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven’t gotten back on it since the initial two days riding - it’s just been ice and blower snow. My initial thoughts are very positive but I’ve been intentionally leaving it on the rack so I don’t tarnish my opinion of it by riding it in shitty conditions where it likely won’t perform well. We need snow! Its such a bummer lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah they've made it less aggressive, less stiff and directional.

I've managed about 3 days on the Tranny Finder (older more aggressive one) and have found it really stiff! Have struggled in some narrow gullies and on moguls to make short/quick turns on it as I'm just not used to riding with such a stuff board that has no torsional flex. We also had more than 50cm fresh snow for Christmas day and another 20cm overnight for Dec 26th on top of another 1.5m dump the week before, so riding in very deep conditions.

Also ended up buying a Hometown Hero which has stiffer tips but softer middle with more torsional flex and absolutely fell in love with that board. I'm going to ride that for a bit (it's stiffer and longer than my Warpig) and then try getting on the TF again in a week or two to see if I've managed to progress my riding enough to find the TF a bit easier on the harder terrain.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Why?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I love riding them but after riding my otto at Jay peak, I've come to the strong realization that they're mediocre quiver boards at best for someone that lives on the east coast. Sure you can ride them on hardpack days, but switching my otto to my iguchi camber gave me 2x the confidence for icy runs.

They're fantastic boards, but if I keep them, I just have to be okay with the fact that I'll be lucky if I ride them for a max of 10% of the days out east. NTTAWYT.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love riding them but after riding my otto at Jay peak, I've come to the strong realization that they're mediocre quiver boards at best for someone that lives on the east coast. Sure you can ride them on hardpack days, but switching my otto to my iguchi camber gave me 2x the confidence for icy runs.

They're fantastic boards, but if I keep them, I just have to be okay with the fact that I'll be lucky if I ride them for a max of 10% of the days out east. NTTAWYT.
What size Otto you have?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Iguchi just has better hold? Does it have edge tech, or the traditional camber is just better? I don't know anything about that board.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
What size Otto you have?
157 at 170 lbs.

Then again, nothing really works well on boilerplate. The stealth was a lot of fun at loon when I rode it last season because the conditions were good, fresh to firm snow vs boilerplate.

I also find the board significantly more tiring to ride due to the stiffness imho.

·
Registered
69 Posts
157 at 170 lbs.

Then again, nothing really works well on boilerplate. The stealth was a lot of fun at loon when I rode it last season because the conditions were good, fresh to firm snow vs boilerplate.

I also find the board significantly more tiring to ride due to the stiffness imho.
Understandable. Any chance you're using stiff boots? I like my boots stiff to hold my shins providing support as I can relax my legs.

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

841 - 860 of 977 Posts