Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1121 - 1140 of 1175 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,121 ·
I'm increasingly starting to believe Koruas are not East Coast boards. Wide waist are terrible in firm conditions, and well... "Ice Coast". As I understand it, East Coast resorts also tend to have quite narrow runs. Take a look at the terrain the Korua guys call home, and how far few trees they have to deal with above treeline in the Alps. These boards are designed for better snow and more space than you likely have access to.
The more I ride my Cafe Racer 159 the more evident this becomes. I really like the board, it definitely offers something you can't find elsewhere but theres really only a handful of trails on a handful of days I run it as intended. On the East Coast this is strictly a weekdays only board. I would put someone in the hospital if I ever took it out on a weekend at Stratton.

Something like the Simple Pleasures 156 is much more useful over here.

However on the rare run when the stars align and the trail is empty and the snow has been baking a bit, its truly magic. Also, it kinda rips in the park :ROFLMAO:
Sky Cloud Snow Tree Slope

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The more I ride my Cafe Racer 159 the more evident this becomes. I really like the board, it definitely offers something you can't find elsewhere but theres really only a handful of trails on a handful of days I run it as intended. On the East Coast this is strictly a weekdays only board. I would put someone in the hospital if I ever took it out on a weekend at Stratton.

Something like the Simple Pleasures 156 is much more useful over here.

However on the rare run when the stars align and the trail is empty and the snow has been baking a bit, its truly magic. Also, it kinda rips in the park :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 162472
It's impossible not to like the Korua boards.

I definitively don't need any more boards, but I still want a Trenchdigger, a Dart, a Cafe Racer and a Pocket Rocket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys,

Going for a 3 day trip to Kaprun this weekend. Looks like conditions will be a bit slushy since it’s warm in the alps currently.

How are your experiences with the Otto / other Korua shapes in those conditions?

Still in doubt whether to take the Otto, Skeleton Key, or both of course:ROFLMAO:.

·
Super Moderator
1,479 Posts
Anyone get time on a Pocket Rocket this season?

Love to hear any thoughts, I’ll be taking it to NZ this season and interested to know how it rides so I can match another board or 2 to take with it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well they almost look the same, so grab it and hide one till you are sure.
Yeah, I was about to grab it anyways and sell the one of the twos I like the less end of next season (my quiver will be even more a joke in the familiy, but whatever). Thing is I'm debating the plus version too, or a size with less tapper… or an amplid Surfari or Souly Grail, even a Stranda so…
Haven't ridden the CR, but the Pencil has been great in lite freeride for me. More agile than my Surfari. So quick to get on edge.
That's great to know, thanks 🙏

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thing is I'm debating the plus version too
I personally like the Pencil plus. I'm not much of a free rider, I mostly ride on or close to pistes. The places I ride, I wouldn't pick it as my only board. I'd rather have a classic (and probably the TF). I would not pick the Pencil plus as a free ride board unless there was powder.

It's a very fun board though. Korua boards are fun.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It won't be my only board and I'm not looking for a full-on FWT deck, but riding in the Alps I come across a lot of things in the same day/half day and I just won't pass on a good off-piste if it's on the way. I am super glad with surfy/turny style of the CR, I want to keep that kind of board. Just riding my Sickstick in and around the resort reminded me that it would be lovely if I could have a CR that can handle just a bit more mountain and be a bit more lively. (Which could be a Tur Buteo you mention a lot!)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It won't be my only board and I'm not looking for a full-on FWT deck, but riding in the Alps I come across a lot of things in the same day/half day and I just won't pass on a good off-piste if it's on the way. I am super glad with surfy/turny style of the CR, I want to keep that kind of board. Just riding my Sickstick in and around the resort reminded me that it would be lovely if I could have a CR that can handle just a bit more mountain and be a bit more lively. (Which could be a Tur Buteo you mention a lot!)
I wouldn't call the Buteo lively. At least not the way I see it. And at Least not my 162.... maybe the 157. I'd call it stable but with energy. You get plenty back from the turns when you lay it over. Maybe a more experienced rider would call it lively. They describe it as "powerful yet playful". It's more powerful than playful to my level of skill. Maybe there's some liveliness in it but it's sort of pushed back because of how stable it is.

The Pencil plus is lively. The Pencil plus also has a much looser tail which makes it fun for resort riding banks and trees and so on.

What's wrong with riding the Sickstick? If I hadn't bought my Pluv I would probably had gone for the 162 Sickstick... Love the sidecut on the First Call.

Now my de facto quiver is:
Bubo 150 (will maybe upgrade to a larger board when they release one)
Pluv 159
Buteo 162
Pencil plus 164
Bullet Train 160

The Buteo could replace the Bullet Train and the Pencil plus, but the Pencil plus has more taper and is much livelier. So... I will probably end up with these five boards.

My last weekend this season I was going to a small resort that usually has very good snow and nice high alpine birch trees. I took the Bubo and the Pencil plus. It snowed a lot, so there was a lot of snow out in the open. First day I rode mostly trees and stayed on the Bubo. The next day there was so much fresh snow I switched to the Pencil. The Bubo is nice in just about everywhere but I wanted some stability at speed. Super happy I brought the Pencil, because you can go both fast and ride trees with it. Then on corduroy it turns like a dream. Handles chopped up snow on piste ok as long as you get it on edge and it's not skiers moguls.

Is it worth having the Pencil plus for two days a year? Maybe not, but it's still hard getting rid of it.

1121 - 1140 of 1175 Posts