Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1161 - 1180 of 1322 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,161 ·
That's a what I'm debating too and definitely looking at the same boards (also the Slash Vertical, amplid Souly Grail and the ones I mentionned above). The other option is too keep the CR for good "CR days", ride it a bit less often and change my freestyle board (Asymulator) for something more backountry… Time to think.
Souly Grail is on my radar too. Also the Telos DST. Which boards did you mention above? I’m going to check out the Slash.

Im still thinking about keeping the CR for the same reason as you, but I can’t help feeling that I can get the same turns with a more moderate width. I’m an 8.5 boot though so booting out isnt much of a concern to me as long as the WW is above 25.5z

·
Registered
501 Posts
Souly Grail is on my radar too. Also the Telos DST. Which boards did you mention above? I’m going to check out the Slash.

Im still thinking about keeping the CR for the same reason as you, but I can’t help feeling that I can get the same turns with a more moderate width. I’m an 8.5 boot though so booting out isnt much of a concern to me as long as the WW is above 25.5z
Surfari, Nidecker Mellow, Tur Buteo, why not Stranda shorty even (I target more euro brand ofc. but Telos seems nice!). There are some super useful reviews on the Amplid thread that compares them to Koruas.

I am afraid of the opposite actually, that in gaining a bit of versatility, I would loose the part I like in this board… anyways, if I buy another deck, I'll just keep both for season and decide after.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Emailed Korua a few days ago, asking for a board that would keep most of the CR, but a bit more more freeride and a bit more reactive and lively, purposely not naming any deck. Here is their answer :
Hey Étienne

Thanks for reaching out to us and for sharing the stoke!

In that case you should consider to go for a Plus shape. The Plusline is ultra lightweight and it feels almost effortless to go from edge to edge. I have never had anyone testing it, who wasn't totally stoked about it. If you are looking for an aggressive ride which feels very lively, the Plus is the perfect choice.

By using the most premium materials we aim to build the best possible version of the classical shapes. We upgraded the base material, wood core and top sheet to create a lighter, faster and responsive ride. It features a dynamic full carbon construction, super light bionic core design, stringer reinforced paulownia wood and the highest grade base material. Therefore it is ultralightweight, which is an advantage for keeping your board up on the surface, but also makes it more reactive and prevents fatigue.

Based on your bodyweight and measurements, I would definitely recommend the Pencil Plus 64. The longer effective edge will offer plenty of edgehold in your turns while the increased surface area (wider width) will give loads of floatation on those powdays and keep you from booting out. We learnt that a bit more board brings a lot of advantages and the boards feel surprisingly short and quick from edge to edge because of the pronounced taper.

In general, the biggest difference between our boards lays in the tail. On the edge all our boards will have the same program. But the way the edging and steering goes will feel different because of the different tail shapes;

The Pencil has a modest swallowtail and that gives a bit of flex in the back. The outline of the tail is more roundish towards the inside, that allows a smooth transition from edge to edge. Compared with its length it has less width then out other shapes. Overall it’s an instant classic, no matter the conditions. Made for epic turning both on and off piste.

The Café Racer is KORUA’s carving missile and agile resort ripper for tightturns and quick maneuvers, with ultimate grip from tip to tail. Just built for turning, burning and churning up the groomers. The Cafe Racer has a more angular tailshape. The tails outline sticks more out to the outside, therefore it gets more edge and gives bites more into the turn.

Hopefully this has helped a bit

Kind regards
Lino
Same conclusion, a bit of over enthusiastic self promotion (I can't blame them!), some useful infos. I'm not 100% sold that their tail shapes make that much difference though… but I could try 🤷

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,164 ·
@Etienne thanks for that email, great info in there. Personally I like the dampness of the standard line and I'd prefer not go give up dampness. What i would like to gain however is quicker edge to edge transition. But I think thats down to width and camber profiles vs materials.

I'm thinking the classic Otto 157 might be something that would work for me. I've been kicking around the idea of a TF but I'm not sure either one is really spec'd properly for my 175 lbs and 8.5 boots. It almost likes like a CR without a nose according to the specs. Theoretically a TF 157 should handle similarly to a CR 159 with a little less grip and maybe slightly more ease getting onto edge due to the rocker.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Same conclusion, a bit of over enthusiastic self promotion (I can't blame them!), some useful infos. I'm 100% sold that their tail shapes make that much difference though… but I could try 🤷
I don't see how they can be the same on edge but have different "tail outline". I might be wrong ofc, maybe it makes a difference in softer snow where it's not just edge contact. I liked the TF classic a lot.

I'm thinking the classic Otto 157 might be something that would work for me. I've been kicking around the idea of a TF but I'm not sure either one is really spec'd properly for my 175 lbs and 8.5 boots. It almost likes like a CR without a nose according to the specs. Theoretically a TF 157 should handle similarly to a CR 159 with a little less grip and maybe slightly more ease getting onto edge due to the rocker.
The new TF has less taper... ;)

I could absolutely live with having a Korua quiver. Transition Finder classic, Pencil plus and Bullet Train. Or I could have a TF classic as a one board quiver.

Next season I'm looking to get a Pocket Rocket or perhaps something else if they release something more exciting...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have been on and off with the dampness. Overall I feel it really helps moving a lot over the board... sometimes I feel like I want an ollie that doesn't dislocate my knees

@Snowdaddy If you could live with a Korua quiver, I think I could with a Slash one... But I like to mix!

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have been on and off with the dampness. Overall I feel it really helps moving a lot over the board... sometimes I feel like I want an ollie that doesn't dislocate my knees

@Snowdaddy If you could live with a Korua quiver, I think I could with a Slash one... But I like to mix!

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk
Yes, I could live with quiver from most brands. As long as I got to ride. :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
We had to cancel half of our hut tour, so my buddy wanted to try the Korua and I was riding my slash straight along, switching back and forth a few times. Man that was instructive...

The Slash is a great carver, but it requires so much more precision to lock into a carve and do so way more aggressively (radius is a bit larger too). I had forgetten how these old school board can demanding when you start charging. Getting back on the CR, sure it grips less and is much less reactive, but damn everything is so smooth and locking into a cave is so effortless. Damn, I love this board, much more than I though.

Since we were in Chamonix I also had "a little bit" of off piste terrain. Sure the CR just can't compete with the Slash there when charging full on (I mean this thing won FWT), but it's not as bad as I made it sound either. If it's good enough for morning crust in Chamonix, it's going to be good enough on 99% of my days

Probably just gonna keep it...I just have to resist post season board-nerding and quiver over-optimisation.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,173 ·
Has anyone ridden the new shape Transition Finder 54 yet?
I tried the 57 but it was too much for me. The old shape 54 was very fun so I'm intrigued by the narrower nose that could make it more versatile.
I was looking into the new TF 54 as well at 175 lbs and 8.5 boots but I went with a 154 instrument instead. Specs line up better for my size/weight. TF sizing leaves me sort of out cold smack in the middle of the two sizes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
alright, so i got a cafe racer 156 over the winter for my wifes deep carver. she didn't get a chance to ride it, but i did and holy smoke this thing shreds. i'm 73"/186cm and ~165lbs/75kg and found it:

a) not all that stiff
b) not a deep lay em down carver
c) super playful
d) really good in the powder

its a wacky fun board to ride in the shorter length for sure. still carves great but can't really lay them out like on my alchemist 164w just because there isn't as much edge to lean on. can't even explain how fun that thing is to ride. 10/10 try it short if you already have a boat for big carves or big terrain. rad little daily ripper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great thread to sift through folks - thanks for sharing.

I’m on the verge of getting either a TF or KNWN Northshore for next season. I’m on the east coast & prefer to ride (relatively tight) trees in search of the elusive east coast pow.

Between a slow recovery from exploding the bones in my foot & teaching my daughters to ride I’m spending nearly all my time on piste at the moment though. It’s nice to work on my carves, but I’d love something that also plays nice in the woods when I get back in there (next year come hell or high water!). I’m not a park rat and rarely get airborne.

I’m an 11.5 boot & 5’10”/178cm and hoping to be around 180lbs and fit next season (working on it!). My best years are behind me, but I can still shred.

My current two boards are a 159cm 2008 custom X wide (stiff as hell and near the end of its life) and a powderjet I made myself (very soft, rocker, around 154cm). I feel like something in between the two might be a good all rounder. In terms of shape and specs the TF & the Northshore look to fit the bill.

That said, the ‘Korua are not east coast friendly’ thread (I’m paraphrasing) has me wondering if I’m off base here.

advice appreciated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks folks! It’s my first new retail board in over a decade, so excuse my ignorance. I gather not all taper is implemented the same way (so many subtle variables in snowboard design). The new TF has 18mm of taper, whereas the other board I’m looking at has 30mm. All other things being equal (and I know, they’re not) what would be the key differences, ride wise between those two tapers?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The Knwn looks more like Koruas plus models, so maybe a touch stiffer and thinner, they look narrower too. Korua has some sidecut variations at least, don’t know about the other. The more taper you have, in general, it might be harder or just unfamiliar to skid down the slope with the board at 90 degrees, because the nose hooks and wants to turn you around, and you have the switch thing. For carving they could end up feeling the same, but you get some help in the start of the turn with more taper, can be more laidback. Some make up for it by setting stance forward, but it also depends on where they set the stance in the first place.

1161 - 1180 of 1322 Posts