Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1181 - 1200 of 1207 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
alright, so i got a cafe racer 156 over the winter for my wifes deep carver. she didn't get a chance to ride it, but i did and holy smoke this thing shreds. i'm 73"/186cm and ~165lbs/75kg and found it:

a) not all that stiff
b) not a deep lay em down carver
c) super playful
d) really good in the powder

its a wacky fun board to ride in the shorter length for sure. still carves great but can't really lay them out like on my alchemist 164w. so yeah, can't even explain how fun that thing is to ride. 10/10 try it short if you already have a boat for big carves or big terrain.
What size boot do you wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Realized that I had to set my binding all the way back to the heel on my CR. Usually I center them, but here with some lower angles (say +6 to -6 on the back foot) I did boot out, on the toes only to realize that the width allowed me to slide the bindnig waaaay back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone looking to size down to a Korua Dart 152 from a 156? I have a brand new 152 (not shrink wrapped- but bindings never even mounted) I bought off of FB after getting some bad size advice.

I talked to Korua and they said I definitely need a 156 (5’10 - 175lbs - 9.5 US) they said they would be willing to swap if I paid shipping both ways, but I figured I would check if anyone was in a reverse position?

156 wouldn’t have to be brand new, but in really good condition.

I could do a FaceTime call with whoever to verify condition.

thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
boots are 32cm and i ran the bindings at +27/+15 and might need to go a little more positive with the back foot. it's a little narrow for my boot size but not by much and if you're in the 30-31cm boot i think you'd be good to go.
Wait till you try the 164 😂 (not at all intending to say that you should try to get your hands on one…)

·
Registered
132 Posts
After some reading, and thinking about it for a while, I may get for the next season a Café Racer.
I'm just not sure which size to take. Because I'm totally on both the 156 and the 159, in the specs considering my weight, height and foot size. But on the weight, I'm more on the middle of the recommandation for the 159 and for the 156 more on the max weight recommanded Side but without passing it.
And looking at the riders reference of the Café Racer on the Korua website, some riders are nearly on the same shape as me, which make them ride the 159.
I will for sure ask at Korua about what they think.
Longer board, more effective edge, better for carving. Would a 3cm more would be that harder to turn around?

Envoyé de mon A100 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will for sure ask at Korua about what they think.
Longer board, more effective edge, better for carving. Would a 3cm more would be that harder to turn around?

I would definitely call Korua, they were super helpful when I bought a 152 and realized, even though I’m in the limits (top end for boot and weight.) it would be too small. So they are working with me to help change it out even though it’s out of the shrink wrap, but never used.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The main difference between the 159 and any other size will be the taper. 30mm don't go unnoticed, for better or worse.

Someone mentioned riding a sized down 156, apparently it makes for a super playful board!

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've wrote to Korua and here is what Lino answered me:

Based on your bodyweight and measurements, I would definitely recommend the Café Racer 59. The longer effective edge will offer plenty of edgehold in your turns while the increased surface area (wider width) will give loads of floatation on those powdays and keep you from booting out. Personally I am 175cm, 70kg and size 9US and I ride the CR 59 as well. We learnt that a bit more board brings a lot of advantages and the boards feel surprisingly short and quick from edge to edge because of the pronounced taper.

They answer pretty fast, wrote to them yesterday.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I've wrote to Korua and here is what Lino answered me:

Based on your bodyweight and measurements, I would definitely recommend the Café Racer 59. The longer effective edge will offer plenty of edgehold in your turns while the increased surface area (wider width) will give loads of floatation on those powdays and keep you from booting out. Personally I am 175cm, 70kg and size 9US and I ride the CR 59 as well. We learnt that a bit more board brings a lot of advantages and the boards feel surprisingly short and quick from edge to edge because of the pronounced taper.

They answer pretty fast, wrote to them yesterday.

I’d absolutely get the 159.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Anybody riding a transition finder 157? I’m thinking of adding it to my quiver to compliment my optimistic 157, seems like a similar deck with a longer side cut, how do people like ripping on that board?

6’5, 250, 11 boots, Colorado siding on and side piste primary riding

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Anybody riding a transition finder 157? I’m thinking of adding it to my quiver to compliment my optimistic 157, seems like a similar deck with a longer side cut, how do people like ripping on that board?

6’5, 250, 11 boots, Colorado siding on and side piste primary riding
I borrowed the old TF 157 from @unsuspected for a couple of hours at a smaller resort. I really had a blast riding it. I own the Pencil plus which is one of my all time favourite boards. The Classic TF was damper and more easy going. I want to have it but I have too many boards as it is.

I’ve not been on the Optimistic, but have tried the Y. They’re not alike in my opinion.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I borrowed the old TF 157 from @unsuspected for a couple of hours at a smaller resort. I really had a blast riding it. I own the Pencil plus which is one of my all time favourite boards. The Classic TF was damper and more easy going. I want to have it but I have too many boards as it is.

I’ve not been on the Optimistic, but have tried the Y. They’re not alike in my opinion.
thnx daddy!

sounds like what I might be looking for, I’ve been home mountaining at crested butte and most the terrain I run is tight or rutted out, a 157 with that side cut and width sounds like a interesting option to give a whirl

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
thnx daddy!

sounds like what I might be looking for, I’ve been home mountaining at crested butte and most the terrain I run is tight or rutted out, a 157 with that side cut and width sounds like a interesting option to give a whirl
Looks like a very nice mountain!

The new Transition Finder with the smaller taper looks interesting, but don’t worry if you get the older Tranny Finder with more taper. If I lost all my boards and got myself a Korua, I’d get a TF. New or old version.

·
Registered
Korua Dart 160 | Bataleon Magic Carpet 156W | Lobster Aaron Schwartz (Party Wave) 148
11 Posts
I've got a Dart 160 (6'4", 185lb, US12), and absolutely love it. It quickly became my favourite board last year. Tempted to get another Korua this year but I'm a bit conflicted. Have my eyes on the Pin Tonic 172, Otto 161, and Pocket Rocket (assuming it becomes available again). I got to demo ride the Nitro Cannon last year and it was a blast, only issue was the narrow waist, which is why the Pin Tonic caught my eye. Something about riding that long of a board is just incredibly fun. Otto and Pocket Rocket caught my eye as more playful options to compliment the absolute weapon that the Dart is. I have a Party Wave 148 that I always had an absolute blast on but it has seen better days, and this would be somewhat of a replacement towards that. I am somewhat worried about the narrower waist on the Otto, and that the Pocket Rocket would be a bit too "out there" being a 129, but that's also half the appeal.

Thoughts/recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a Dart 160 (6'4", 185lb, US12), and absolutely love it. It quickly became my favourite board last year. Tempted to get another Korua this year but I'm a bit conflicted. Have my eyes on the Pin Tonic 172, Otto 161, and Pocket Rocket (assuming it becomes available again). I got to demo ride the Nitro Cannon last year and it was a blast, only issue was the narrow waist, which is why the Pin Tonic caught my eye. Something about riding that long of a board is just incredibly fun. Otto and Pocket Rocket caught my eye as more playful options to compliment the absolute weapon that the Dart is. I have a Party Wave 148 that I always had an absolute blast on but it has seen better days, and this would be somewhat of a replacement towards that. I am somewhat worried about the narrower waist on the Otto, and that the Pocket Rocket would be a bit too "out there" being a 129, but that's also half the appeal.

Thoughts/recommendations?
Curious what bindings you are using on the Dart?

·
Registered
Korua Dart 160 | Bataleon Magic Carpet 156W | Lobster Aaron Schwartz (Party Wave) 148
11 Posts
Curious what bindings you are using on the Dart?
Currently rocking Rome Katana's, really like them! Coming from Contact Pro's, they are so much more responsive, but still let me butter quite easily. Also rode my friends Cartel X's last year and I much prefer the Katana's over the Cartel's

·
Registered
288 Posts
Has anyone ridden both the Pencil and the Cafe Racer? On paper they are very similar and there’s a CR for sale cheapish near me. Also, is the core profiling the same on different models, aside from the differing nose and tail shapes? I’m wondering if there is any noticeable difference between these two specifically but also more generally with the flex across the whole line.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Has anyone ridden both the Pencil and the Cafe Racer? On paper they are very similar and there’s a CR for sale cheapish near me. Also, is the core profiling the same on different models, aside from the differing nose and tail shapes? I’m wondering if there is any noticeable difference between these two specifically but also more generally with the flex across the whole line.
They are very similar, I’ve ridden CR 159 and Pencil 164. The core and camber profile are the same. The tail on the CR is super stiff, on the Pencil it is a bit easier to flex it as it is longer and curved up but otherwise the board flex is the same. Same geometry.

1181 - 1200 of 1207 Posts